|This is not a Wikipedia article: This is a workpage, a collection of material and work in progress that may or may not be incorporated into an article. It should not necessarily be considered factual or authoritative.|
On My Shield
|"On My Shield"|
Digital cover art image. The physical vinyl's front cover has a die cut hole for the record label to show through.
|Single by Converge|
|Genre||Hardcore punk, heavy metal|
"On My Shield" is a single released by American metalcore band Converge. It was originally made available during the band's European tour in July 2010. The single was self-released by the band, though it was distributed by Converge's labels, Epitaph Records and Deathwish Inc.. The physical release does not contain a label catalog number, however Deathwish lists the single as CONCULT01. The song was recorded and produced by guitarist Kurt Ballou at his own GodCity studio between the band's 2010 US and European tours in support of Axe to Fall.
The single was released on a limited edition 7" vinyl in three different colors, with each variety limited to 1,000 copies. One version was sold during Converge's 2010 European tours, one was sold through the band's Epitaph webstore and the final version was distributed to various vinyl retailers. The B-side displays a laser etching of the band's shield logo, and does not feature any music. Vocalist Jacob Bannon explained the historical meaning behind the logo:
"The symbol was part of an 18th century medical device used to find imperfections in one's sight. We use the symbol as a visual metaphor for searching for clarity and perspective in one's life."
Maxwell of KillYourStereo described the song as "pure Converge," and that "musically, the band continues to write the most intriguing hardcore/punk/metal hybrid that will punish you like the new guy in prison." Joshua T. Cohen of BlowTheScene noted that the intro of "On My Shield" was reminiscent of Converge's "Jane Doe" off their 2001 album Jane Doe. Cohen also commented that the song featured, "several elements that define Converge's sound, including, but not limited to extreme poly-rhythmic drumming, ambient to ultra-dense guitar licks, tastefully driving, distorted bass, and Bannon's patented vocal shred – this track has it all."
All music by Converge; all lyrics by Jacob Bannon.
- "On My Shield" – 4:15
- Kurt Ballou – guitars, backing vocals
- Jacob Bannon – vocals
- Ben Koller – drum kit
- Nate Newton – bass guitar
Production and art
- "Converge: 'On My Sheld'". Deathwish Inc. Retrieved August 7, 2010.
- Paul, Aubin (July 12, 2010). "Converge announce new 7-inch". Punknews.org. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- Shotwell, James (July 10, 2010). "Converge self release limited edition 7"". Alternative Press. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- Bannon, Jacob (July 10, 2010). "Converge 'On My Shield' 7"EP announced". The B9 (Forum). Bridge 9 Records. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- Carter, Daniel P. (July 27, 2010). "The Rock Show with Daniel P. Carter". BBC Radio 1. BBC. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- Maxwell (July 29, 2010). "Converge release new 7"". KillYourStereo.com. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- Cohen, Joshua T. (July 21, 2010). "Converge to Self-Release New 7" EP 'On My Shield' and World Tour". BlowTheScene.com. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "On My Shield" (Vinyl back cover) (Media notes). 2010. Unknown parameter
[[Category:Converge (band) albums]] [[Category:2010 singles]] [[Category:Albums produced by Kurt Ballou]] [[Category:Albums with cover art by Jacob Bannon]]