Bharat Earth Movers
"New Frontiers New Dreams"
|Public Sector Undertaking
|Industry||Mining & Construction, Defence, Rail & Metro|
No 23/1, IV Main, Sampangiramanagar,
|P. Dwarakanath , Executive Chairman of the Board, MD, Director - Metro & Rail Business|
Underground mining equipment
High power diesel engines
Heavy duty hydraulic aggregates
|Revenue||₹28.02 billion (US$440 million)|
Bharat Earth Movers Limited now known as BEML is an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, with headquarters in Bangalore. It manufactures a variety of heavy equipment, such as that used for earth moving, transport and mining.
BEML incorporated in May 1964, and commenced operations on 1 January 1965. It was wholly owned and operated by India's Ministry of Defence until 1992, when the government divested 25% of its holdings in the company. BEML is Asia's second-largest manufacturer of earth moving equipment, and it controls 70% of India's market in that sector. Its stock trades on the National Stock Exchange of India under the symbol "BEML", and on the Bombay Stock Exchange under the code "500048". The company went for Follow on Public offer (FPO) and fixed the price band for its FPO between Rs. 1,020 and Rs. 1,090.
BEML has manufacturing plants in Kolar Gold Fields, Bangalore, Palakkad and Mysore. It has numerous regional offices throughout the country. KGF unit is the main unit accounting for the manufacture and assembly of a wide array of earth-moving equipment such as Bulldozers and Excavators. Railcoaches are made in the Bangalore complex and the Mysore facility makes dump trucks and engines of various capacity .
BEML manufactures a wide range of products to meet the needs of Mining, Construction, Power, Irrigation, Fertiliser, Cement, Steel and Rail Sectors. The earthmoving equipment includes Bulldozers, Dump Trucks, Hydraulic Excavators, Wheel Loaders, Rope Shovels, Walking Draglines, Motor Graders and Scrapers.
BEML has recently introduced Road Headers and Slide Discharge Loaders for underground mining applications. Railway products include Integral Railcoaches, Electric Multiple Units, Rail Buses, Track Laying Equipment and Overhead Equipment Inspection Cars. BEML manufactures Heavy Duty Trucks and Trailers and hydraulic aggregates for transportation sector.
The company also manufactures high power diesel engines and heavy duty hydraulic aggregates to meet specific customer requirements. The company plans to diversify into varied activities including underground mining equipment, underground storage for petro-products, leasing and financial services and joint ventures abroad.
Part Hwange Colliery Zimbabwe Company’s mining equipment worth $31 million bought from BELAZ of Belarus India arrived with faults and technical problems were seen as soon as it was put to use.The engineer reportedly pointed out that the machines delivered were different from those they had viewed in India.
Metro Rolling Stock
BEML manufactures Rolling Stock for Delhi Metro and Namma Metro in a consortium with Hyundai Rotem BEML has supplied more than 200 coaches to DMRC and has an order of 150 coaches from Bangalore Metro. BEML has independently supplied about 140 cars to DMRC using ToT from Hyundai ROTEM. Jaipur Metro has also ordered to manufacture, supply, test and commission 10 train sets of four-car each, totaling 40 cars to Jaipur Metro Project.
BEML is one of the leading manufacturer of Rail and Metro coaches. Metro Systems using BEML Rolling Stocks are:
BEML operates on three major business verticals associated equipment manufacturing:
- Mining & Construction
- Defence & Aerospace
- Rail & Metro
In addition to the above there are Five Strategic Business Units (SBUs):
- Technology Division for providing end-to-end engineering solutions
- Trading Division for dealing in non-company products
- International Business Division for export activities
- Aerospace Division for provide design services for Aviation Sector
BEML has eight manufacturing units spread over four locations:
- Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) Complex (around 100 km from Bangalore)
- Earth Moving Division
- Rail Coach Unit II
- Heavy Fabrication Unit
- Hydraulic & Powerline Division
- Mysore Complex (around 130 km from Bangalore)
- Truck Division
- Engine Division
- Aerospace Manufacturing Division
- Bangalore Complex - Rail & Metro Division
- Palakkad Complex Kerala State - Defence Products Manufacturing
- BEML - Tatra Trucks 12x12, 10x10,8x8, 6x6, 4x4 & Variants
- Pontoon Bridge System
- Ground Support Vehicles for Guided Missile Programme
- Heavy, Medium and Light Recovery Vehicles
- 50T Trailer for Tank Transportation
- Mil Rail Coaches and Mil Wagons
- Apart from the above, Railway parts and aggregates are planned for manufacture
- Vignyan Industries, a subsidiary located at Tarikere (around 300 km from Bangalore) - Steel Castings
On 11 June 2012, BEML chief V.R.S. Natarajan was suspended in connection with Tatra case and Mr P. Dwarkanath has been given the charge of CMD.
- BEML - TATRA T815 VVNC 8x8
- BEML - TATRA T815 VVL 8x8
- BEML - TATRA T815 VTI 8x8 - Tank Transporter
- BEML - TATRA Crash Fire Tender
- BEML - TATRA T816 6MWR 8T 10x10
- BEML - TATRA T815 27ET96 28 300 8x8
- BEML - TATRA T815 26RR36 22 255 6x6
- BEML Aircraft Towing Tractor
- BEML Armoured Recovery Vehicle WZT
Probe into alleged scam in purchase of Tatra trucks for Indian Army has revealed the Czech company had agreed supply of trucks directly at a lower price in 1994 to BEML without involving the British agent, Tatra Sipox. BEML had not accepted the offer then.
- "BEML chief suspended". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 11 June 2012.
- "BEML spurned Tatra offer of direct deal, went through agent: probe". 3 July 2012.
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited corporate website.
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited corporate profile at GlobalSecurity.org.
- BEML stock at Yahoo! Finance[dead link].