|Public Sector Undertaking|
|Traded as||NSE: BEML|
|Founded||Kolar Gold Fields,Bengaluru, Karnataka|
|Shri D. K. Hota |
(Chairman & MD)
Underground mining equipment
High power diesel engines
Heavy duty hydraulic aggregates
|Revenue||₹3,077.37 crore (US$430 million) (2020) |
|₹153.20 crore (US$21 million) (2020)|
|₹68.38 crore (US$9.6 million) (2020)|
|Total assets||₹5,066.71 crore (US$710 million) (2020)|
|Total equity||₹2,257.15 crore (US$320 million) (2020)|
|Owner||Government of India (54.03%)|
Number of employees
|7,185 (March 2019)|
BEML Limited (IAST: BEML limiṭeḍ), previously Bharat Earth Movers Limited, is an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, with headquarters in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. It manufactures a variety of heavy equipment, such as that used for earth moving, transport and mining.
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
BEML incorporated in May 1964, and commenced operations on 1 January 1965 with a Tractor project that was transferred from the Gun and Shell Factory of the Ordnance Factory Board. It was wholly owned and operated by India's Ministry of Defence until 1992, when the government divested 25% of its holdings in the company. BEML is Asia's second-largest manufacturer of earth moving equipment, and it controls 70% of India's market in that sector. Its stock trades on the National Stock Exchange of India under the symbol "BEML", and on the Bombay Stock Exchange under the code "500048". The company went for Follow on Public offer (FPO) and fixed the price band for its FPO between ₹1,020 and ₹1,090. The Government of India had given ‘in-principle’ approval for strategic disinvestment of BEML Ltd. to the extent of 26% out of the Government shareholding of 54.03% with transfer of management control to strategic buyer.
BEML has manufacturing plants in Kolar Gold Fields, Bengaluru, Mysore and Palakkad. It has numerous regional offices throughout the country. KGF unit is the main unit accounting for the manufacture and assembly of a wide array of earth-moving equipment such as bulldozers and excavators. Railcoaches are made in the Bengaluru complex, and the Mysore facility makes dump trucks and engines of various capacity.
BEML manufactures a wide range of products to meet the needs of mining, construction, power, irrigation, fertiliser, cement, steel and rail sectors. The earthmoving equipment includes bulldozers, dump trucks, hydraulic excavators, wheel loaders, rope shovels, walking draglines, motor graders and scrapers.
BEML has recently introduced road headers and slide discharge Loaders for underground mining applications. railway products include integral railcoaches, electric multiple units, rail buses, track laying equipment and overhead equipment inspection Cars. BEML manufactures heavy duty trucks and trailers and hydraulic aggregates for the transportation sector.
The company also manufactures high power diesel engines and heavy duty hydraulic aggregates to meet specific customer requirements. The company plans to diversify into varied activities including underground mining equipment, underground storage for petro-products, leasing and financial services and joint ventures abroad.
Metro rolling stock
BEML manufactures rolling stock for Delhi Metro and Namma Metro in a consortium with Hyundai Rotem. BEML has supplied more than 200 coaches to DMRC and has an order of 150 coaches from Bengaluru Metro. BEML has independently supplied about 140 cars to DMRC using transfer of technology from Hyundai ROTEM. Jaipur Metro has also ordered to manufacture, supply, test and commission 10 train sets of four cars each, totaling 40 cars to the Jaipur Metro Project.
BEML has started supplying state of the art metro train sets equipped with latest technology to the East West corridor of Kolkata Metro (KMRCL). Present order in hands from KMRCL is for 14 train sets of six cars each, all made under the "Made in India" banner.
BEML is one of the leading manufacturers of rail and metro coaches. Metro systems using BEML rolling stock are:
Soon BEML is going to commission rolling stock in:
BEML operates on three major business verticals associated with equipment manufacturing:
- Mining & Construction
- Defence & Aerospace
- Rail & Metro
In addition to the above, there are strategic business units (SBUs):
- Trading Division for dealing in non-company products
- International Business Division for export activities
- Aerospace Division for design services for the aviation sector
BEML has the following manufacturing units spread over four locations:
- Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) Complex (around 100 km from Bengaluru)
- Earth Moving Division
- Rail Coach Unit II
- Heavy Fabrication Unit
- Hydraulic & Powerline Division
- Mysore Complex (around 130 km from Bengaluru)
- Truck Division
- Engine Division
- Aerospace Manufacturing Division
- Bengaluru Complex - Rail & Metro Division
- Palakkad Complex Kerala State - defence products manufacturing
- BEML - Tatra Trucks 12x12, 10x10, 8x8, 6x6, 4x4 & variants
- Pontoon bridge system
- Ground support vehicles for guided missile programme
- Heavy, medium and light recovery vehicles
- 50T trailer for tank transportation
- Mil rail coaches and mil wagons
- Apart from the above, Railway parts and aggregates are planned for manufacture
- Vignyan Industries, a subsidiary located at Tarikere (around 300 km from Bengaluru) - steel castings
Deepak Kumar Hota has been the CMD of BEML Ltd since 1 July 2016 after the superannuation of P. Dwarkanath, the predecessor CMD.
The main competitors for BEML are in the private sector who have their own manufacturing units in India, thus participating in the 'Make in India' initiative.
- Bombardier Transportation which has a unit in Savli (Gujarat) has supplied coaches to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC).
- Alstom which has established a new facility at Sricity near Chennai has supplied coaches for Kochi Metro.
- BEML - TATRA T810 VVNC 6x6
- BEML - TATRA T810 VVL 6x6
- BEML - TATRA T810 VTI 6x6 - Tank Transporter
- BEML - TATRA T815 VVNC 8x8
- BEML - TATRA T815 VVL 8x8
- BEML - TATRA T815 VTI 8x8 - Tank Transporter
- BEML - TATRA Crash Fire Tender
- BEML - TATRA T816 6MWR 8T 10x10
- BEML - TATRA T815 27ET96 28 300 8x8
- BEML - TATRA T815 26RR36 22 255 6x6
- BEML - TATRA T158 PHOENIX VTI 6x6 - Tank Transporter
- BEML - TATRA PHOENIX 8x8, 6x6, 4x4
- BEML - TATRA FORCE 10x10, 8x8, 6x6, 4x4
- BEML - TATRA TERRN°2 10x10, 8x8, 6x6, 4x4
- BEML - TATRA TACTIC 6x6
- BEML Aircraft Towing Tractor
- BEML Armoured Recovery Vehicle WZT
A probe into an alleged scam in the purchase of Tatra trucks for the Indian Army revealed that the Czech company had agreed to supply trucks directly at a lower price in 1994 to BEML without involving the British agent, Tatra Sipox. BEML did not accept the offer then.
- "Balance Sheet 31.03.2020".
- "PSU Status of BEML". Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "MMRDA awards Rs 3,015 cr contract to BEML for rolling stock on". Business Line. 24 November 2018.
- "Beml India". Archived from the original on 14 October 2011. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "BEML spurned Tatra offer of direct deal, went through agent: probe". 3 July 2012.
- Business data for BEML Limited: