Barclays Bank of Uganda
|Products||Loans, checking, savings, investments, debit cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax: US$14.8 million (UGX:41 billion) (2014)|
|Total assets||UGX:1.4 trillion (2014)|
Number of employees
Barclays Bank of Uganda Limited, commonly known as Barclays Bank Uganda Limited, is a commercial bank in Uganda. It is one of the commercial banks licensed by the Bank of Uganda, the central bank and national banking regulator.
The bank is primarily involved in meeting the banking needs of individuals, small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs), and large corporations. Before 2006, the bank focused on meeting the banking needs of only large corporations and high-net-worth individuals. That focus was loosened to include SMEs and regular customers. As of December 2014, the bank was the fifth-largest commercial bank in Uganda, with assets valued at UGX:1.4 trillion. At that time, the bank had 136,000 account holders, 42 branches, and 85 ATM outlets and employed 850 staff.
The bank opened in 1927, with two branches in the capital city, Kampala, and one in Jinja, the country's second-largest commercial centre. In 1971, the bank acquired the Ugandan business of the Commercial Bank of Africa.
Upon incorporation, the bank's stock was 51 percent held by Barclays and 49 percent held by the government of Uganda. By 2001, the bank had become a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays. Since March 2016, the bank has been wholly owned by the Barclays Africa Group.
- Bugoloobi Branch - 128 Spring Road, Bugoloobi, Kampala
- Hannington Road Branch - 2 Hannington Road, Nakasero, Kampala Main Branch
- Premier Banking Branch - Hannington Road at Shimoni Road, Nakasero, Kampala
- Garden City Prestige Centre - Garden City, Yusuf Lule Road, Kampala
- Kampala Road Branch - 16 Kampala Road, Kampala
- Kansanga Branch - 529 Ggaba Road, Kansanga, Kampala
- Kawempe Branch - Katongole Building, 2522 Masindi Highway, Kawempe, Kampala
- Kireka Branch - 174 Kampala-Jinja Highway, Kireka
- Lubowa Branch - Quality Hill Shopping Complex, 1621 Lubowa Estate, Lubowa
- Lugazi Branch - 121 Kampala Road, Lugazi
- Lugogo Branch - 2-8 Lugogo Bypass Road, Lugogo
- Luwuum Street Branch - Luwum Street, Kampala
- Nakawa Branch - URA Customs Building, 1-3, Sebei Lane, Nakawa, Kampala
- Naakulabye Branch - 1254 City Petrol Station, Makerere Hill Road, Naakulabye
- Ndeeba Branch - 479 Masaka Road, Ndeeba, Kampala
- Ntinda Branch - Ntinda Shopping Mall, Kimera Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ovino Market Branch - Ovino Market, Kampala
- Parliament Ave Branch - IPS Building, 14 Parliament Avenue, Kampala
- Rwenzori Courts Branch - 1 Lumumba Avenue, Nakasero Hill, Kampala
- Shauriyako Branch - 34-38 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Tankhill Parade Branch - 2683 Kisugu-Muyenga Road, Muyenga, Kampala
- UN Base Branch - United Nations Base, Entebbe
- Wandegeya Branch - 170 Bombo Road, Wandegeya, Kampala
- Abaita Ababiri Branch - Entebbe-Kampala Road, Abayita Ababiri
- Kitoro Branch - Kitoro, Entebbe
- Masaka Branch - 2 Broadway Street, Masaka
- Mukono Branch - Best Meals Building, Mukono
- Busia Border Branch - Busia Customs Yard, Busia
- Iganga Branch - 85 Main Street, Iganga
- Jinja Branch - 81 Main Street, Jinja
- Mbale Branch - Republic Street, Mbale
- Soroti Branch - 40 Gweri Road, Soroti
- Tororo Branch - 4 Mbale Road, Tororo
- Arua Branch - 1D Transport Road, Arua
- Gulu Branch - 32 Gulu Avenue, Gulu
- Lira Branch - 10 Soroti Road, Lira
- Fort Portal Branch - 14 Bwamba Road, Fort Portal
- Hoima Branch - 56 Main Street, Hoima
- Ishaka Branch - Ishaka
- Kabale Branch - 190 Main Street, Kabale
- Kasese Branch - 68 Rwenzori Road, Kasese
- Masindi Branch - 77 Port Road, Masindi
- Mbarara Branch - 66 High Street, Mbarara
The bank is governed by a board of directors. The chairman of the board is one of the non-executive directors. The managing director is Rakesh Jha. He holds an MBA in Marketing gained from IMED and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree gained from the University of Mumbai. Immediately prior to his appointment as managing director, Jha was managing director of Barclays Seychelles.
- Adengo, Jonathan (23 February 2015). "Barclays Bank Re-Launches Prestige Banking". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- BOU (June 2015). "List of Licensed Commercial Banks As At June 2015" (PDF). Kampala: Bank of Uganda (BOU). Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Overview of Barclays Bank Uganda". Barclays Bank Uganda. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Mwesigwa, Alon (6 May 2015). "Ugandan Banks Shine As Kenya's See Profits Drop". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- BAG (April 2015). "Barclays Africa Group Limited Financial results for the 12 months ended 31 December 2014" (PDF). Johannesburg: Barclays Africa Group (BAG). Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Commercial Bank of Africa Limited - Medium Term Note Programme - Information Memorandum" (PDF). Commercial Bank of Africa Limited. 21 November 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.[permanent dead link]
- URN Reporter (20 December 2006). "Barclays Confirms Purchase of Nile Bank". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Lori Chang (22 January 2007). "UK-Based Financial Services Group Barclays Buys Nile Bank of Uganda and Plans to Enter Microfinance Sector in Uganda". MicroCapital. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Founding banks and building societies > Barclays Bank of Uganda Ltd.". Barclay Bank. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- Khisa, Isaac (8 March 2016). "Uganda: Barclays to Get New Owners". The Independent (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "List of Branches of Barclays Bank Uganda". Barclays Bank Uganda. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Mwesigwa, Alon (15 January 2013). "Barclays Closes Branches, ATMs". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Ssonko, Kiganda (14 December 2008). "Multi Billion Shopping Center Opens In February 2009". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.[permanent dead link]
- Sseppuya, Mikaili (21 May 2008). "Banks Rush for Ovino Market Shops". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.[permanent dead link]
- Omoding, John (18 May 2008). "Barclays Goes To Soroti". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Nation Reporter (15 September 2014). "James Kinyany Appointed Barclays Seychelles' Interim Managing Director". Seychelles Nation (Seychelles). Retrieved 9 September 2014.