|Alternative names||Zalfrezi (Sylheti)|
|Place of origin||India|
|Main ingredients||Meat, seafood, or vegetables, green chillies, often cream|
|Cookbook: Jalfrezi Media: Jalfrezi|
Jalfrezi (also jhal frezi, zalfrezi, jaffrazi, and many other alternative spellings) is a type of Indian cuisine that involves frying marinated pieces of meat, fish or vegetables in oil and spices to produce a dry, thick sauce. As the dish includes green chillies, a jalfrezi can range in heat from medium to very hot. Typically those eating jalfrezi cool it down by consuming cream, yoghurt or other foods that help alleviate the heat. Other main ingredients include bell peppers, onions, cabbage, and tomatoes.
History of the dish
Jalfrezi recipes originally appeared in cookbooks of the British Raj as a way of using up leftovers by frying them in chilli and onion. This English language usage derived from the colloquial Bengali word jhālpharezī: in Bengali, jhāl means spicy food; in Urdu/Persian, parhezī means suitable for a diet. In South Asia, chicken jalfrezi is considered an Indian Chinese or Pakistani Chinese dish, with a mix of Chinese and South Asian cooking techniques used in its preparation. 
In a survey in 2011, Jalfrezi was rated the most popular dish in UK Indian and Nepalese restaurants.
- Jalfrezi, http://www.eatanddrink.co.uk
- , http://www.thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com
- Jalfrezi Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine., http://www.indiacurry.com
- Collingham, Lizzie (2006). Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-19-988381-3.
- "jalfrezi". Oxford English Dictionary (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. September 2005. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- http://www.ainycooks.com/chicken-jalfrezi-with-simple-fried-rice/ CHICKEN JALFREZI WITH SIMPLE FRIED RICE
- "chicken jalfrezi by Video Recipes - Dailymotion". Dailymotion. 13 February 2015.
- http://www.khanapakana.com/recipe/2d82909e-9370-4ddc-b709-00206af70845/chicken-jalfrezi Chicken Jalfrezi
- "Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe - alifseye.com". www.alifseye.com.
- "Tikka masala out, jalfrezi is UK’s No. 1 dish". The Times of India. July 23, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
|This food-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|