Multi-lingual sign board at NH-66
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-42, KL-41|
Koonammavu(Malayalam: കൂനമ്മാവ്) is a Northern Suburb of Cochin city which is a part of Kochi metropolitan area. Koonammavu(Valluvally) is a census town in Kottuvally Panchayat,North Paravur Taluk, Ernakulam District, Kerala,India and lies between Edappally and North Paravur adjacent to Varappuzha.
Chithira junction is the busiest place in the Koonammavu where the majority Educational Institutions and Shopping complexes are situated. The National Highway 66 starting from Mumbai(Panavel) to Kanyakumary passing through this town.
Koonammavu is famous for the cottage industry of rosary. An electroplating unit of rosary is functioning here where a large number of women engage in making rosaries. The rosaries made here with 59 pearls are exported to foreign countries.Koonammavu.The place houses churches and religious institutions of various denominations of Christianity.
As a Muziris heritage,Roman coins were unearthed from Kochal,during Archaeological excavations. Although it is in the main land of Valluvally, its geography is purely serene and calm. A Traditional high Thookkam at Kottuvallykavu Bhagavathy temple in Kavilnada is famous for its Thookkam ritual & Aayiramthiri Kedavilakkupooja.
The name Koonammavu is derived from Koonan-Mavu,which means Humpback MangoTree.
The Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara spent his last years and buried at " St. Philomenas Forane Church" in Koonammavu.He was the Parish Priest at that time.The Tomb and Holy remains of Blessed Chavara Kuriakose Elias is Still situated in the St.Philomena's Forane Church, Koonammavu. St.Philomena's Forane Church, Koonammavu built in 1837, the church is of immense historic importance and a Chavara pilgrim centre too.
Blessed Euphrasia Eluvathingal spend her boarding attached to the first indigenous Carmelite community founded by Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Rev. Leopold Beccaro 1866 at Koonammavu.
The St.Joseph's monetary of CMI locally called "KOVENTHA" is contribute of Blessed Chavara Kuriakose Elias Shrine. Former Kerala captain M Balan Pandit,the first Star of Kerala Cricket was born here on 16 July 1926.
||Cheraibeach||North Paravur||Cochin International Airport|
|Kadamakkudy||Varappuzha, Ernakulam||Eloor, Kalamassery|
- The India Post office is situated near the Adikulam Market.It is a sub Post Office having a branch Post Office serving Kongorpilly area with same pincode-683518, While Kongorpilly-Karingamthuruth comes under Alangad Panchayat.
Telecommunication & Networks
This is a 4G town.Reliance & Airtel has set up 4G in this area. This area have poor 3G coverage for major Operators like Idea, Vodafone, Airtel & even No 3G for BSNL & Tata Docomo. 2G coverages are really worst for Airtel, Reliance, BSNL & Vodafone in some regions where the most dense clutter stays. BSNL have monopolised all the Wired Landline Connection in this sector, which comes under BSNL-Varappuzha Section.
Major Cable TV operators like Asianet, Keralavision, City Cable franchisees are functioning here as Koonammavu branch. Also high speed Broadband Internet are also available with Asianet & Keralavision. This Zone is also served by Wi-Fi internet from Total BroadBand.
Place of Worship
- St.Philomena's Forane Church,Koonammavu.
- St.Joseph's CMI Monastery Church,Koonammavu.
- St.Antony's Church,Kochal,Koonammavu.
- Amalothbhava Matha Church.Valluvally,Koonammavu.
- Believer's Church,Meisthiripady,Koonammavu.
- IPC Bersheba Church, Kochal,Koonammavu.
- Valluvally Juma Masjid,Millupady,Valluvally,Koonammavu.
- Thaqua Juma Masjid,Athani,Valluvally,Koonammavu.
- Kottuvallykavu Temple,Kavilnada,Koonammavu.
- Sree Bhadrakali Devi Lakshmi Narayana Temple,Pallikadavu,Koonammavu.
- Kachanikoodam Bhagavathy Temple,Kochal,Koonammavu.
- Shiva Bhadrakali Temple,Chemmayam,Koonammavu.
- Valluvally North Temple,valluvally,Koonammavu
- St.Philomena's H.S.S, Chithira Jn., Koonammavu.
- St.Joseph's H.S.S, Chithira Jn., Koonammavu.
- St.Joseph's Technical School, Chithira Jn., Koonammavu.
- Govt. LPS, Schoolpaddy, Valluvally, Koonammavu.
- Chavara Special School For Mentally Challenged, Chithira Jn.,Koonammavu.
- Chavara Darsan CMI Public School, Adikulam Market Jn., Koonammavu.
- BTM College for Women's, Koonammavu.
- Chavara ITC., Koonammavu.
- Geek Institute of Fashion Technology, ITC Road, Koonammavu.
- Royal Institute of Medical Technology, Chithira Jn., Koonammavu.
- Tiny Tots Play School, Valavu, Valluvally, Koonammavu.
- Adikulam Market
- Chithira Junction
- Painam koottam
- Ernakulam District
- North Paravur
- Paravur Taluk
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kottuvally.|
- "St.philomenas Church Koonammavu | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-07-20.