|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California, United States|
David Ellison, CEO|
Dana Goldberg, CCO
Jesse Sisgold, President and COO
Larry Wasserman, CFO
Anne Globe, CMO
Marcy Ross, President (TV)
Don Granger, President (Film)
Bill Damaschke, President (Animation)
David Ellison (controlling)|
Skydance Media (formerly known as Skydance Productions) is an American film and television production company based out of Santa Monica, California. Founded by David Ellison in 2010, the company raised $350 million to co-produce and co-finance films with Paramount Pictures. In 2017, Skydance renewed their worldwide production and distribution deal for feature films with Paramount until 2021. Skydance is responsible for feature-length films including True Grit, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Terminator Genisys, Star Trek Beyond, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Life, Baywatch, Geostorm, Annihilation and Mission: Impossible – Fallout.
In 2013, Skydance launched Skydance Television, hiring Marcy Ross as President. The production company's first television series, Manhattan, premiered on WGN America on July 27, 2014. Their second series, Grace and Frankie, starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, and created by Marta Kauffman, premiered on Netflix on May 8, 2015. Altered Carbon, Skydance's latest series was released on Netflix on February 2, 2018 and stars Joel Kinnaman.
In 2016, Skydance raised $700 million in new financing through in part , IJNR Investment Trust. The refinancing included $200 million in equity from a group of investors, and a $500 million line of credit from J.P. Morgan Chase. David Ellison's company also created a sub-division of Skydance films named Uncharted in 2016 in order to house content that falls outside of the action, sci-fi or fantasy genre.
Skydance Interactive, a division of Skydance Media was launched in 2016 through the acquisition of The Workshop Entertainment. Skydance Interactive creates and publishes original and IP-based virtual reality games including its debut virtual reality game Archangel.
On March 16, 2017, Skydance launched the Skydance Animation division by forming a multi-year partnership with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios. Two projects are already in the works with one of them eyeing a 2020 release.
|October 4, 2019||Gemini Man||Paramount Pictures, Overbrook Entertainment, Jerry Bruckheimer Films|
|November 22, 2019||Untitled Terminator film||Paramount Pictures, Lightstorm Entertainment, 20th Century Fox|
|2019||6 Underground||Netflix, Platinum Dunes|
|June 26, 2020||Top Gun: Maverick||Paramount Pictures, Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Cruise/Wagner Productions|
|TBA||World War Z 2||Paramount Pictures, Plan B Entertainment|
|July 27, 2014||Manhattan||WGN America||2||Skydance Television|
|May 8, 2015||Grace and Frankie||Netflix||5||Okay Goodnight!, Skydance Television|
|October 1, 2017||Ten Days in the Valley||ABC Network||1||Skydance Television|
|February 2, 2018||Altered Carbon||Netflix||2||Skydance Television|
|June 4, 2018||Dietland||AMC||1||Skydance Television|
|June 6, 2018||Condor||Audience Network||2||MGM Television, Skydance Television, Paramount Television|
|August 31, 2018||Jack Ryan||Amazon||2||Paramount Television, Skydance Television, Platinum Dunes|
In 2016, David Ellison’s production/financing company acquired a leading game developer The Workshop Entertainment, Inc. This was used as the beachhead to launch Skydance Interactive, LLC, a subsidiary that creates and owns original virtual reality games.
|April 6, 2018||PWND||Skydance Interactive|
|July 18, 2017||Archangel||Skydance Interactive|
|TBA||The Walking Dead: Untitled VR Game||Skydance Interactive|
Skydance formed a multi-year partnership in the March of 2017 with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios and in July, announced its first two animated feature films — Luck, which opens on March 19, 2021, and Split.
|March 19, 2021||Luck||Paramount Pictures, Ilion Animation Studios|
|TBA||Split (Working Title)||Paramount Pictures, Ilion Animation Studios|
|TBA||Powerless (Working Title)||Paramount Pictures, Ilion Animation Studios|
|TBA||The Fourteenth Goldfish||Paramount Pictures, Ilion Animation Studios|
- Faughnder, Ryan. "China's Tencent acquires minority stake in Skydance Media - LA Times". latimes.com. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Claudia Eller (August 16, 2010). "David Ellison raises $350 million to co-fund movies with Paramount". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 28, 2010.
- "Skydance Media Extends Worldwide Production & Distribution Agreement For Feature Films With Paramount Pictures For Four Additional Years - Skydance Media". Skydance Media. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Lacey Rose (April 3, 2013). "Skydance Productions to Launch TV Division, Taps Former Fox Exec Marcy Ross as President". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "ABOUT THE COMPANY - Skydance Productions". Skydance Productions. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (2016-03-29). "David Ellison's Skydance Raises $700 Million In Funding For Film, TV Slates". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- McNary, Dave (2016-12-09). "David Ellison's Skydance Launches Uncharted Label With 'Baywatch'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 16, 2017). "Skydance Launches Animation Studio With Spain-Based Ilion". Deadline. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- McNary, Dave. "Ang Lee Eyes Sci-Fi Actioner 'Gemini Man' at Skydance". Variety. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (2016-05-03). "Skydance Media Buys Game Developer The Workshop And Launches Interactive Division". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- McNary, Dave (2017-10-10). "Skydance Hires Bill Damaschke for Animation-Family Entertainment Post". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Busch, Anita (2018-02-22). "Skydance Media Taps 'Tangled's Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct 'Powerless'". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- McNary, Dave (8 June 2018). "'Fourteenth Goldfish' Animated Movie in Works From Skydance". Retrieved 20 September 2018.