|Skydance Productions (2006-2016)|
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California, United States|
Skydance Media (formerly known as Skydance Productions) is an American production company based out of Santa Monica, California. Founded by David Ellison in 2006, the company raised $350 million to co-produce and co-finance films with Paramount Pictures since 2009 and has been renewed twice out to 2021. The company specializes in film, animation, TV and video games.
Skydance is responsible for feature-length films including True Grit, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Terminator Genisys, Star Trek Beyond, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Life, Baywatch, Geostorm, Annihilation and Mission: Impossible – Fallout. Skydance's future feature film slate includes Top Gun: Maverick, Terminator 6 and Gemini Man.
In the fall of 2009, Skydance and Paramount Pictures signed a four-year co-financing, production and distribution agreement. While Paramount would also have the additional option of distribution. Before August 2010, Skydance hired Dana Goldberg, formerly of Village Roadshow Pictures, to oversee development and production. In August 2010, Ellison raised $150 in equity and a four-year, $200-million revolving credit facility led by JPMorgan Chase. One of the equity investors was David's dad, Larry Ellison. Plans were for producing four to six films a year.
In 2016, Skydance raised $700 million in new financing. The refinancing included $200 million in equity from a group of investors, and a $500 million line of credit from J.P. Morgan Chase. On May 3, 2016, Skydance Media used part of its new financing to purchase game developer The Workshop Entertainment, Inc. The Workshop Entertainment was renamed and organized as Skydance Interactive, LLC. David Ellison's company also created a production label named Uncharted in December 2016 in order to house content that falls outside of the action, sci-fi or fantasy genre.
On March 16, 2017, Skydance launched the Skydance Animation division by forming a multi-year partnership with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios. Two projects are already in the works, with one of them originally eyeing a March 2021 release. In August 2017, Skydance and Paramount renewed their slate deal for another four years to 2021, with the addition of Skydance's animated films for distribution.
|October 4, 2019||Gemini Man||Overbrook Entertainment, Jerry Bruckheimer Films||Paramount Pictures|
|November 1, 2019||Terminator 6||Lightstorm Entertainment||Paramount Pictures|
|2019||Six Underground||Platinum Dunes, Maximum Effort||Netflix|
|June 26, 2020||Top Gun: Maverick||Jerry Bruckheimer Films, TC Productions||Paramount Pictures|
|TBA||World War Z 2||Plan B Entertainment|
|First Broadcast||Last Broadcast||Title||Network||Seasons||Episodes||Production|
|July 27, 2014||December 15, 2015||Manhattan||WGN America||2||23||Skydance Television|
|May 8, 2015||TBA||Grace and Frankie||Netflix||4||52||Okay Goodnight!, Skydance Television|
|October 1, 2017||January 6, 2018||Ten Days in the Valley||ABC Network||1||10||Skydance Television|
|February 2, 2018||TBA||Altered Carbon||Netflix||2||18||Skydance Television|
|June 4, 2018||July 30, 2018||Dietland||AMC||1||10||Skydance Television|
|June 6, 2018||TBA||Condor||Audience Network||1||10||MGM Television, Skydance Television, Paramount Television|
|August 31, 2018||TBA||Jack Ryan||Amazon||2||16||Paramount Television, Skydance Television, Platinum Dunes|
|TBA||TBA||Untitled Miraculous live-action TV series||TBA||TBA||TBA||ZAG Inc.|
Skydance Interactive is a game studio focused on developing ambitious titles, managing projects licenses to other developers, and developing innovative game mechanics and software for VR and emerging platforms. The division of Skydance Media was launched in 2016. In 2017, its first VR game, Archangel was launched. The game recently expanded into an online multiplayer upgrade, Archangel: Hellfire.
In 2017, Skydance Interactive partnered with Skybound Entertainment to develop a number of original virtual reality video games based on the expansive world of The Walking Dead universe. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners will be the inaugural title co-developed by the two companies. The studio is located in Marina del Rey, CA.
|April 6, 2018||PWND||Skydance Interactive|
|July 18, 2017||Archangel||Skydance Interactive|
|TBA||The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners||Skydance Interactive|
Skydance formed a multi-year partnership in March 2017 with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios and in July, announced its first two animated feature films — Luck, which opens on March 19, 2021, and Split. On October 10, 2017, Bill Damaschke was hired to head the division as president of animation and family entertainment.
Holly Edwards, who previously served as Skydance Animation’s Head of Production, has been promoted to the position of president at Skydance Animation.
|March 19, 2021||Luck||Ilion Animation Studios||Paramount Pictures|
|TBA||Split (Working Title)|
|TBA||Powerless (Working Title)|
|TBA||The Fourteenth Goldfish|
- "Business Search on Skydance + LLC". businesssearch.sos.ca.gov. California Secretary of State. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Faughnder, Ryan. "China's Tencent acquires minority stake in Skydance Media - LA Times". latimes.com. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Claudia Eller (August 16, 2010). "David Ellison raises $350 million to co-fund movies with Paramount". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 28, 2010.
- Lacey Rose (April 3, 2013). "Skydance Productions to Launch TV Division, Taps Former Fox Exec Marcy Ross as President". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (2016-03-29). "David Ellison's Skydance Raises $700 Million In Funding For Film, TV Slates". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (May 3, 2016). "Skydance Media Buys Game Developer The Workshop And Launches Interactive Division". Deadline. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (2016-12-09). "David Ellison's Skydance Launches Uncharted Label With 'Baywatch'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 16, 2017). "Skydance Launches Animation Studio With Spain-Based Ilion". Deadline. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (August 7, 2017). "Skydance, Paramount Ink New Four-Year Deal". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Lang, Brent; Donnelly, Matt (October 10, 2018). "As Annapurna Stumbles, Billionaire Larry Ellison Exerts Control". Variety. Archived from the original on January 17, 2019. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- Williams, Trey (October 22, 2018). "David Ellison's Skydance Taps Jun Oh to Lead Theatrical, Interactive Business and Legal Affairs". The Wrap. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- McNary, Dave. "Ang Lee Eyes Sci-Fi Actioner 'Gemini Man' at Skydance". Variety. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Skydance Developing Live-Action Adaptations Of 'Miraculous – Tales Of Ladybug & Cat Noir' For TV & Film". Deadline. 2018-09-05. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Interactives Archive - Skydance Media". Skydance Media. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "Archangel: Hellfire Review - The Best VR Mech Combat Game Yet - UploadVR". UploadVR. 2018-07-17. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- Blake, Vikki (2018-07-18). "'The Walking Dead' Universe Heads to VR With 'The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- McNary, Dave (October 10, 2017). "Skydance Hires Bill Damaschke for Animation-Family Entertainment Post". Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (February 22, 2018). "Skydance Media Taps 'Tangled's Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct 'Powerless'". Deadline. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Lang, Brent (January 9, 2019). "Ousted Pixar Chief John Lasseter Hired by Skydance Animation". Variety. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Donnelly, Matt; Donnelly, Matt (2019-02-14). "Skydance Animation Names Holly Edwards President Under John Lasseter". Variety. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- McNary, Dave (8 June 2018). "'Fourteenth Goldfish' Animated Movie in Works From Skydance". Variety. Retrieved 20 September 2018.