This article does not cite any sources. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Arumbakkam is primarily a residential locality in Chennai.
Notable landmarks in Arumbakkam are D G Vaishnav College, Good Hope New gen school,Appu Naresh area,Speed Medical Centre & Hospitals, Daniel Thomas School, Narayana E-Techno School(CBSE),Kola Perumal School, Sri Panchali Amman Temple, Siva Temple, Anna Arch and the Ford Showroom. The Chennai Bottling Company (popularly known as the Gold Spot Company) was located here, and has now been converted into a car dealership. This area is surrounded by main localities like Koyambedu, Aminjikarai and Anna Nagar. Other important locations are the Varadharraja Perumal Temple (it was built 500 years ago) and the Vinayagar Temple; the area also is known for its serenity.
More recently the TNPCB (Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board) has been located here. A beautiful park is also there opposite to CMBT. The Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has started its construction with the pile foundation work in Arumbakkam opposite SAF Games Village. This was inaugurated by the former Deputy Chief Minister M. K. Stalin. The State Election commission of India, the headquarters of the Tamil Nadu Election Commission is in Arumbakkam opposite the CMBT.
The area is relatively rich in ground water, and the local people say that this area was a mango-cultivated area till about 1960. This area falls under the Central Chennai constituency. It is a low-lying area and used to get waterlogged frequently till the late 1990s, after which improvements in the storm water drainage system has considerably reduced waterlogging.
Location in context
Areas of Interest
- Siva Medicals, Valluvar Salai
- Prakash Dental Centre
- Kavitha Neuro Clinic
- Dr.Raj's Advanced Dental & Implant Centre
- Tamil Nadu Alluarjun fans association office
- Speed Medical Centre & Hospitals
- Indian Hospital
- Appaswamy Hospital
- Vasanthi Orthaeopadics
- Sri Panchali Amman Temple
- Sri Aadhi Parasakthi Amman Temple
- Sri Vethapureeswara Sivan temple
- Sri Sundara Vinayagar Temple
- Sri Bala Vinayagar Temple
- Sri Sathya Varadharaja Perumal Temple
- Sri Uthaantchiyamman Temple
- Sri Muthu Mariyamman Temple
- Muthumariamman Temple
- Nagathammal Temple
- Santha Perumal Temple
- Sri Devi Elankaliamman Temple
- Periathupalai Amman Koil
- Residencial Colonies
- SBI Officers Colony
- SBI Staff Colony
- Jai Nagar
- Blessing Worship Centre -(Behind Vasanthi Orthopaedic Hospital and M.R Hospital)
- ECI church
- Assemblies of God Arumbakkam
- In PH road, opposite to pollution control board
- Peter Raja St., opposite to Anna Arch
- MGR st., MMDA Colony
- MMDA, Government Higher Secondary School
- Kola Perumal Chetty Vaishnav Senior Secondary School (CBSE)
- Narayana E-Techno School(CBSE)
- Srimathi Maharanibai Jamunadoss Vaishnav Higher Secondary School
- Good Hope Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- National Star Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Ambal Matriculation School
- Daniel Thomas Matric. Hr. Sec. School
- Mohammad Sathak Matriculation higher secondary school
- Megamart in PH road
- D.G.Vaishnav College( Arts & Science)
- Archietrctural Sites
- Anna Arch (built by MGR in memory of his mentor C.N.Annadurai)
- Anna Arch Fly over
Other Important Landmarks
- In Arumbakkam
- Siva Medicals, Valluvar Salai
- Jai Nagar park opposite CMBT;another park is on construction at opposite to this.
- Tamil Nadu pollution control board (TNPCB) in PH road
- Chennai Metro Rail Limited has started its construction work in Arumbakkam with the pile foundation work
- Arumbakkam will also have its own Metro Station (somewhere between SAF Games Village and Radha regent)
- Tamil Nadu Election Commission has opened its brand new office in arumbakkam opposite CMBT
- The Arumbakkam Koyambedu Roundabout was converted into a Multi Level, Partial Cloverleaf grade separator in 2011
- Arumbakkam will also have its own Multiplex which will be run by the Malladi Group (owners of SSI Ltd), who have bought a land parcel next to Panchali Amman Koil on PH Road for this purpose
- Arumbakkam will also have a tryst with IT as TCS has bought a land opposite to the P. H. Road — Shanthi Colony Junction to set up an office there
- Around Arumbakkam
- Chennai Moffusil Bus Terminus (CMBT), one of Asia's Largest Bus Terminus, is just across the 100 feet Road opposite to Arumbakkam.
- Ampa Skywalk, a Shopping Mall opened on the Nelson Manickam Road — P.H.Road Junction.
- This mall also brings to Chennai, its first ever PVR Cinemas, a leading multiplex operator in the country and Tata-Trent's Star Bazaar, a leading HyperMarket Chain. It also houses the city's second Westside outlet. Its recent addition includes Zara, China town and French Loaf.
- A flyover is built in this junction to ease the traffic.
- Ozone Mall is another mall that is coming up in Anna Nagar and is very close to the Arumbakkam Koyambedu Roundana