This article does not cite any sources. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chennai Corporation Zone||IV (Tondiarpet)|
|Taluk||Chennai city - Perambur|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai North|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Perambur/RK Nagar|
- 1 Location and surroundings
- 2 Chennai Corporation Limits
- 3 Main thoroughfares
- 4 Dumpyard controversy
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Educational institutions
- 7 Neighbourhoods
- 8 Religious institutions
- 9 Theatre
- 10 Hospital
- 11 Community halls
- 12 References
Location and surroundings
Kodungaiyur covers a vast area bordering Manali to the north, Korukkupet to the east, Madhavaram Milk Colony and Madhavaram to the west, Perambur to the southwest and MKB Nagar (Vysarpadi)to the south.
National Highway 5 (NH 5) touches this area in southwest at Moolakadai.
Chennai Corporation Limits
Earlier, the ward numbers were 01 (Kodungaiyur West) and 02 (Kodungaiyur East).
In the Expanded Chennai Corporation (200 wards), after delimitation of zones and wards, Kodungaiyur will fall under ward numbers 34, 35, 36 and 37 (all four wards will come under Zone No:IV as per the new expanded corporation limits).
- Kamarajar salai > Thiruvalluvar street > Manali road (from Moolakadai towards Chinna Kodungaiyur)
- The road (from Moolakadai towards KKD Nagar and further till Ezhil Nagar)
- Ethirajsamy Salai (from Erukancherry towards MR Nagar)
- Meenambal Salai (from MKB Nagar towards KKD Nagar)
- The southwestern part (older part) of the locality around Kamarajar salai is called "Periya Kodungaiyur", whereas the northwestern part (relatively recently developed part) around Manali Salai is called "Chinna Kodungaiyur." Thiruvalluvar street making the unofficial divider between these two areas.
- Since Kodungaiyur region covers a large area, it is separated and called as Kodungaiyur West (West of Tondiarpet High Road) and Kodungaiyur East(East of Tondiarpet High Road)
- Places like Kamarajar Salai, The road, SIDCO Main Road, MR Nagar, Meenambal Salai houses many business entities (supermarkets, restaurants, banks/ATMs, fuel stations, telephone exchange etc.) whereas Kodungaiyur West (Parvathi Nagar, Seetharam nagar, Narayanaswamy garden, Soundarya Nagar etc.) is a residential neighborhood.
- P6 Kodungaiyur Police Station is on SIDCO main Road.
- TNEB substaion is on SIDCO main Road, KKD Nagar. It is 33/11 KV substation, which delivers power to MR Nagar, KKD Nagar and other eastern parts of Kodungaiyur. Western parts of Kodungaiyur like Narayanasamy garden, RV Nagar, Kamarajar Salai are catered by Sembium substation.
- The Housing Board residences are at KKD Nagar (Phase I) and Muthamil Nagar (Phase II) which are major developments is last 2 decades. Apart from this, private builders contribute to the development of this area, one such is the RC West minister in Kamarajar Salai.
Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar (KKD Nagar) is a part of 'Kodungaiyur' in the city of Chennai and both (KKD Nagar & Kodungaiyur) are not separate geographical locations (since it is assumed wrongly that they are different localities as name boards of most commercial establishments display 'KKD Nagar, Chennai-118' and very few shops display 'KKD Nagar, Kodungaiyur, Chennai-118').
Chinna Kodungaiyur and Periya Kodungaiyur alone do not account to the Kodungaiyur's total geographical area as they are merely parts of Kodungaiyur.
Kodungaiyur dumpyard is said to be the largest dumpyard in Chennai city maintained by Chennai Corporation. It has many harmful effects on residents in the vicinity, in violation of MSW Rules framed by Ministry of Environment and Forests. The Corporation of Chennai planned it to close it by 2015 but no work has been done on the ground.
Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) runs passenger buses to Kodungaiyur from other major parts of the Chennai city. There are 3 Bus terminuses in Kodungaiyur. They are Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar (KKD Nagar), Parvathi nagar and Muthamizh nagar.
KKD Nagar Terminus is the heart of Kodungaiyur's transportation system.
Kodungaiyur has a number of educational institutions. Some of them are:
- Thiruthangal Nadar College, Selavayal
- Muthu Kumaraswamy Arts and Science College, Muthamil Nagar
- Ambetkar Govt Arts College, MKB Nagar
- Chennais Amirtha, Perambur
- Chevalier T Thomas Elizabeth College for Women, Sembium
- St.Anne's Arts and Science College, Moolakadi
- St Sebastian's Industrial Training Institute
- Chennai Corporation School, Kannadasan Nagar
- A.N.M Middle School, Periya Kodungaiyur
- Ramakrishna Matriculation School, Madhavaram
- Smt. Narbada Devi J. Agarwal Vivekananda Vidyalaya Junior College, Vyasarpadi, Chennai
- St.Ann's Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Tabalpetty, Chennai
- Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Muthamizh Nagar
- St.Joseph's Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Seetharam Nagar
- Government High school, in K.K.D Nagar
- Don Bosco Matriculation Higher secondary school, Erukkancherry
- Sri Sayee Vivekananda Higher Secondary School, Muthamil Nagar
- Gurumoorthy High school
- FES Matriculation Higher secondary school, Muthamil Nagar
- Our Lady's Matriculation Higher Secondary School, M.R Nagar
- Grace Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Senthil Nagar
- St.Mary's Matriculation School
- Velankani Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Muthamil Nagar
- Sri Ayyappa matriculation school
- Vivekanada Vidyalaya matriculation school
- Lakshmi Narayana Matriculation school, Selavayal
- Oxford Matriculation School
- Bharathi Nursery & Primary School, Block V, KKD Nagar
- Mother Therasa Matriculation Higher Secondary School,KKD Nagar
- Bharathi Nursery & Primary School, Block I, Muthamil Nagar
- CSI Bain Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Muthamil Nagar
- Don Bosco Matriculation Higher secondary school, KKD Nagar
- Radha Krishnan Matriculation Higher secondary school, Krishnamoorthy Nagar
- RC Infantia (Pre School), Kamarajar salai
- Stella Rani welfare trust
- Good Samaritan Primary School, Erukkenchery
- Sufa Matriculation School, muthamil Nagar
- Wisdom Matriculation School, Krishnamurthy Nagar.
Most notable neighbourhoods in Kodungaiyur are Chinnandimadam,Amudham Nagar, Selavayal, Narayanasamy Garden, Soundarya Nagar, Parvathi nagar, Venkateswara Nagar (Part I & II), Seetharam Nagar, R.V.Nagar, Union Carbide Colony,Brindavan Nagar , Sastri nagar, Jambuli newcolony, Ponnusamy Nagar, Krishna Moorthy Nagar, Vivekananda Nagar, Soundarya Nagar, Ambika Nagar,C hinnandi madam etc.
Apart from these, Muthamil Nagar, MR Nagar, KKD Nagar, Gandhi Nagar and Parvathi Nagar are most important places.
Most famous churches are
- Solaiamman kovil (chinnadimadam road)
- BCA (Bethel Christian Assembly)
- Mother of God Church, Ambedkar street, Periya Kodungaiyur
- Church of South India
- ECI Good Shepherd Church, R.V Nagar Junction
- CPIM Church, Parvathi Nagar
- Church Of God in India
- ACA Church
- St. Sebastian's church
- Our Lady of Health Shrine, Muthamil Nagar
- Good Samaritan Fellowship (Hosanna Tower), Chinnadi Madam Road
- Shekinah Assembly (Worship Center), opp. Pavithra Hospitals, Erukkancherry.
- Blessing Of Jesus Ministry, Kodungaiyur
- T E L C PENIEL LUTHERAN CHURCH, Thai Nagar, Kodungaiyur.
- Kodungaiyur Christian (Brethren) Assembly, Seetharam Nagar
- Bhavani Amman kovil, Muthamil Nagar
- Shiva Vishnu Lakshmi Ganapathy Aalayam, 5th block, Muthamil Nagar
- Devi Parasakthi Kovil, first Block, Muthamil Nagar
- Vembuliamman kovil, Jambuli street
- Guru Vinayagar temple, R.V Nagar
- Venkatesa permual temple, Balaji Nagar
- Sri Siddhi Vinayagar temple, Venkateswara Nagar
- Kalasathamman Koil, Parvathy Nagar
- Shankara Vinayagar temple, Periya Kodungaiyur
- Nagathamman Koil, Union Carbide colony
- Om Shakthi Vinayagar Temple, M.R.Nagar,T.H Road,Chennai.
- Kumbali Amman Koil, Kamarajar Salai, Periya Kodungaiyur, Chennai.
- Sri Kaalikambal kovil, Chinna Kodungaiyur
- Sri Prasana Venkatasa Ramaswamy Perumal Kovil, Parthasarathy Street, near M.R. Nagar
- Sri Gangai Amman Koil, Teachers Colony 6th Cross, Kodungaiyur.
- (masjid-e-al-ameen) Muthamil Nagar
- Chinna kodungaiyur (masjid an-noor makka madrasa) in Gandhi Nagar
- Masjid near Thiruthangal Nadar College
- Masjid Mohyideen in KKD nagar
- Masjid near Gandhi statue at Kodungaiyur
- Masjid in Thiruvalluvar Nagar
- Masjid near Arul Nagar
- Jumma Masjid in MKB Nagar
- Masjid-e-Hussainia in Moolakadai
The list of theaters are,
- Pandian A/C formerly Known as Odiyan Mani
- Aiyappa Theatre
- Shanmuga A/c DTS Theatre
The most famous hospital in Kodungaiyur (Erukanchery) is Pavithra Hospital as it was shown many popular films. Also KVT Health centre had opened a new branch next Pavithra Hospital its namely "K.V.T. Speciality Hospital" which as a 24/7 emergency facility with multi-speciality hospital in the circular.
- KVT Multi Speciality Hospital, M.R Nagar
- Subha Hospital, Muthamil Nagar
- Noor Hospital, Chinna Kodungaiyur
- Fathima Hospital,Kodungaiyur, Near Moolakadai
- NRV Hospital, Kodungaiyur
- Arjun Hospital, Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar
- ESI dispensary, M.R Nagar.
- Nallam Hospital
- Sri Durga health centre, Near KKD nagar E. B
Another hospital with good treatment facilities near Kodungaiyur is St. Anthony's hospital (Thapalpetti, Madhavaram).
- Sri Valli Mahal, Moolakadai
- Seetha Ram Nagar Telugu People Welfare Association,
- Malaysia Mahal, Ethirajsamy salai, M.R. Nagar
- A.B.Maaligai, Chinna kodungaiyur
- Malathi Mahal, Muthamil Nagar
- Kulanthai Terasa Mandapam, KKD Nagar
- Eswari Mahal, Erukkancherry
- Raj Hall, KKD Nagar
- Dana Bhackiyam Hall, Meenambal Salai,Vivekananda Nagar
- S.K Mahal, Meenambal Salai, Vivekananda Nagar
- Balaji Kalyana Mandapam, Kodungaiyur
- Burma Mahal, Thiruthangal college Road, Selavayal
- Indira Mahal, Ethirajsamy salai, M.R. Nagar
- K.S. Mahal, M.R. Nagar
- G.R Kalyana Mandapam, Kodungaiyur
- R R Mahal,Muthamil Nagar
- S.M Mahal, M.R.Nagar
- JRK Mahal
- Sangumuthu Shanmuga Mahal,Muthamil Nagar
Amirtha bhavanam,annsalai,erukkencheri,back side of pavithra hospital