Royal Thai Consulate General, Chennai
|Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chennai
สถานกงสุลใหญ่ไทย ณ เมืองเจนไน
தாய்லாந்துத் துணைதூதரகம், சென்னை
|Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chennai (Thai: สถานกงสุลใหญ่ไทย ณ เมืองเจนไน) is the mission of Thailand in South India representing the interests of the Thai government in the region. The other missions are the Royal Thai Embassy in New Delhi and the Royal Thai Consulates General in Kolkata and Mumbai. The Chennai Consulate covers the southern states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala. The current Consul General is Krongkanit Rakcharoen. She succeeds Somsak Triamjangarun.
The chancery premises of the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chennai is located at 3 (Old 2) First Main Road, Vidyodaya Colony, T. Nagar with effect from 1 November 2011. Earlier, the chancery, along with the Thai Trade Office, was located at 21/22 Arunachalam Road, Kotturpuram.
On 8 October 2006, the Consulate General founded the Thai Student Associations Bangalore (ThaiSAB), a non-profit voluntary union of Thai students pursuing academic and research disciplines around Bangalore.
List of consul generals
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2014)|
- Suphot Yanthukij
- Chanchai Charanvatnakit
- Somsak Triamjangarun
- Krongkanit Rakcharoen
In 2009, the Chennai Consulate General issued nearly 300 visas a day, while the Embassy at New Delhi ranked top by processing 600 visas per day. The Chennai Consulate General contributed nearly 20 percent of the annual flow to Thailand.
The Consulate General has under its control the visa application centres located at Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore, with the Chennai Consulate assessing all applications. As of 2011, the Chennai centre was receiving 400 to 600 visa applications per day.
On 11 October 2010, the Consulate General donated a set of books on cultural history, people, political hierarchy, places and economic significance of Thailand to the Anna Centenary Library at Kotturpuram.
- List of diplomatic missions in Chennai
- Indian–Thai relations
- List of diplomatic missions of Thailand
- Foreign relations of India
- Foreign relations of Thailand
- "Thai agencies in India". Thai-India Business Information Center. Retrieved 16 Feb 2012.
- "Thailand plans consulate in Chennai". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. 18 May 2003. Retrieved 16 Feb 2012.
- "60 Years of Friendship, Thailand–India" (pdf). Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.
- "Thailand Visa Application Centre At Chennai". Business Traveller. December 2005. Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.
- "Thailand visa application centre opened in Chennai". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. 10 November 2005. Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.
- "About Us". ThaiSAB. Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.
- "Thai Tourism woos India". News Today. News Today. 8 July 2009. Retrieved 29 Feb 2012.
- "Visa centre for Thailand opens in Hyderabad". The Hindu. Hyderabad: The Hindu. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.
- "Getting Thai Visa in India becomes more convenient". Thaindian. Thaindian. 19 November 2007. Retrieved 16 Feb 2012.
- "Thailand outsources visa applications to VFS Global in Hyderabad". DNA India. Hyderabad: DNA India.com. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.
- "Thai consulate donates books to Anna Centenary Library". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. 12 October 2010. Retrieved 14 Feb 2012.