Locality in Pallavaram, Chennai
|• Body||Pallavaram Corporation|
|• Official||Tamil, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Distance from Chennai International Airport||6 kilometres (3.7 mi)|
|Distance from Pallavaram railway station||4 kilometres (2.5 mi)|
The name Keelkattalai is derived from the word கீழ் from கிழக்கு (east) and கட்டளை (village) and translates to "The village to the east", with respect to Pallavaram, a Pallava era settlement. Initially, Keelkattalai was incorporated as a village panchayat and on 17 January 1970, it was merged with the Zamin Pallavaram Town Panchayat, Issa Pallavaram Town Panchayat, Hasthinapuram Town Panchayat and Nemilichery Panchayat to form the Pallavaram corporation
Keelkattalai enjoys a well connected road network to major hubs in the city through two arterial roads connecting namely the Medavakkam Main Road and Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam Radial Road (SH 109). The area is served well by buses serviced by the Metropolitan Transport Corporation (Chennai) to major locations inside the city. Despite having no railway connectivity, Keelkattalai is easily accessible from Pallavaram (Chennai Suburban Railway), St Thomas Mount (Chennai Suburban Railway) and Velachery (MRTS, Chennai Mass Rapid Transit System)
This list includes buses originating from Keelkattalai and the ones passing through Keelkattalai bus terminus.
|M14||NGO Colony||Medavakkam Jn (Koot Rd) (via Keelkattalai)|
|M18C||Keelkattalai||T.Nagar (via Nanganallur)|
|M1||Keelkattalai||Thiruvanmiyur (via Velachery)|
|M45E||Keelkattalai||Anna Square (via Velachery)|
|18D||Keelkattalai||Broadway (via Adambakkam)|
|76||Medavakkam Jn (Koot Rd)||CMBT (via Keelkattalai)|
Food, Shopping and Recreation
Keelkattalai Lake, Madipakkam Lake
- Apple Kids International Pre-School
- Holy Family Convent Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Sri Sankara Vidyalaya Matriculation School
- Kiddies Choice Montessori & Kindergarten School
- Vael's vidyashram Global School
- Vel's Higher Secondary School
- Velankanni Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Baalyaa Senior Secondary School
- Pallavaram Municipality Middle School
- Grace Multispeciality Hospital
- Vijayam Hospital
- Divya Hospital
Lok Sabha Representative
Pallavaram State Assembly Representative
Pallavaram Municipality Counsilors
|Term||Ward 14||Ward 15|
|2011 -2016||M.SATHISH KUMAR||M. Gnanasekaran|
Upcoming/Proposed infrastructure work
- Three lane, Unidirectional flyover at the Medavakkam Main Road and Radial road intersection
- Chennai Metro Rail station at Keelkattalai (Phase 2)
- Water supply improvement scheme in Pallavaram municipality
- Underground sewerage network in the municipal limits
- Widening of the Medavakkam main road.
- "Census of India Website : Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India". censusindia.gov.in.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- [dead link]
- "Chennai Bus Routes and Suburban Trains connecting Kilkattalai (Kilkattalai) - MetroCommute.in". www.metrocommute.in.
- [dead link]
- "Work on flyovers begins in Keelkattalai". 14 September 2016 – via www.thehindu.com.
- Sekar, Sunitha (27 December 2016). "Detailed project report for Phase II of Metro Rail ready" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Chennai Metro Phase II to get green light". The New Indian Express.
- Manikandan, K. (8 October 2012). "Rs. 99 crore water project for Pallavaram" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Manikandan, K. (15 January 2012). "Sewer project to be commissioned soon" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Manikandan, K. (12 November 2012). "Wider and safer: Medavakkam Main Road to show the way" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Keelkattalai". Keelkattalai.