|Panchayat union||St. Thomas Mount|
|• Body||Kovilambakkam Village Panchayat|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai South|
|Legislative Assembly constituency||Sholinganallur_(state_assembly_constituency)|
Kovilambakkam is a southern suburb of Chennai, India. It is located in Chengalpattu district in the state of Tamil Nadu, about 26 km from Chennai city center and 12 km from Tambaram. The neighbourhood spans the areas of Sunnambu Kolathur, Chinna Kovilambakkam and Periya Kovilambakkam.
The neighbourhood is administered by the Kovilambakkam Village Panchayat, which is under control of St. Thomas Mount Panchayat Union, Chengalpattu district. The area and population of Kovilambakkam is so huge that it consists of two revenue villages spanning two different districts in Tamil Nadu, namely, Kovilambakkam revenue village (which comes under Tambaram taluk in Chengalpattu district) and Madipakkam-B revenue village (which comes under Sholinganallur taluk in Chennai district). Madipakkam-B is commonly referred to by the villagers by its 800-year-old name Sunnambu Kolathur.
As of 2011[update] India census, Kovilambakkam had a population of 27,374. Males constitute 13,935 of the population and females 13,439. There were 7,010 households. Kovilambakkam has an average literacy rate of 72.55%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 55.7%, and female literacy is 44.3%. In Kovilambakkam, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The neighbourhood has a lake known as the Kovilambakkam lake. It is connected with the Pallikaranai Marsh by means of a 4-km-long surplus channel to drain rainwater. The canal has a carrying capacity of 12,000 cusecs (cubic feet per second) of water. However, there are complaints of sewage being dumped into the canal by the Pallavaram Municipality.
Kovilambakkam is located along the Pallavaram–Thoraipakkam 200-feet Radial Road. It is also one of the neighbourhoods that will be connected by the phase II network of the Chennai Metro currently under construction.
Schools and colleges
- Govt. Higher Secondary School
- A. V. G. Vidyalaya Matriculation School
- Nethaji Vidhyalayam School
- Golden School
- Pole Star Matriculation School
- Himayam Matriculation School
- Panchayat Union Primary School
- Srujana International school (formerly Srujana Montessori School)
Areas surrounding of the locality
- "Census of India 2011: Data from the 2011 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.[verification needed]
- "Sewage-filled Kovilambakkam surplus channel may flood 1,500 households". The Times of India. Chennai: The Times Group. 20 August 2021. Retrieved 1 October 2021.
- Swaminathan, T. S. Atul (15 February 2020). "MTC services via radial road is poor, say Kovilambakkam residents". The Hindu. Chennai: Kasturi & Sons. Retrieved 1 October 2021.
- "Chennai Metro finalises more contracts for phase II project". The Hindu. Chennai: Kasturi & Sons. 8 September 2021. Retrieved 1 October 2021.