This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Municipal body||Chennai Corporation|
|Ward Nos.||51, 52, 53|
|LS constituency||Chennai North|
|MP||Dr. Kalanidhi Veerasamy, DMK|
|MLA||R.D. Sekar, DMK|
In Tamil, perambur means bamboo and ur means city or place. Before British rule, this place was widely regarded as a place which was a bamboo forest, around the Huzur Gardens area, which currently houses the Simpsons Pvt. Ltd. This area was annexed to Chennai in 1742 AD.
During the 2015 floods when most areas of Chennai was stranded in water, Perambur was the safest place available in Chennai. The water level came down rapidly and the people had their normal life restored much faster than other places in Chennai.
Perambur is served by three railway stations: Perambur, Perambur Carriage Works and Perambur Loco Works. It is one of the earliest British settlements in Chennai, mainly because of the railway establishments during the 1850s. Perambur is noted for the largest presence of Anglo-Indians in Chennai (and arguably in South India) because of the erstwhile British settlements in and around Perambur, during the construction and running of the Integral Coach Factory (ICF). The ICF is located only in Perambur and Kolkata in India. Perambur houses many Malayalis who work for the railways.
Perambur is one of the major railway hubs in Chennai because of ICF and due to express/super-fast trains stops. Perambur is the fifth largest station in Chennai in passenger volume after Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Tambaram and Mambalam.
Perambur has a wide range of entertainment venues such as cinemas and parks. Perambur has the first shopping mall of the north Chennai: Spectrum Mall.
It has a five-screen multiplex named S2 Cinemas which is controlled by theater franchise SPI Cinemas. Sri Brinda Theatre and Sri Shanmuga Theatre is popular among cinema lovers. Perambur has many other cinema theatres such as Ganga Cinemas in Kolathur which is just 5 km away.
Perambur has Chennai's first disco waterpark — Murasoli Maran Membala Poonga — which is crowded on weekends.
Perambur Railway Stadium is frequented for athletic events, annual sports meets and training sessions.
Perambur serves as an important link between the northern mofussils of Chennai to the rest of the Greater Chennai. The neighbours of Perambur are Kodungaiyur East (3.9 km), Kodungaiyur West (3.3 km), Sembium (2 km), Periyar Nagar (3 km), TVK Nagar (3 km), Kolathur (4 km), Villivakkam (5 km), Moolakadai (3 km), Madhavaram (5 km), Manali (8 km), Mathur MMDA (7 km), Vyasarpadi (2 km) and Doveton or Purasaiwalkam (3 km), Ayanavaram (3 km), Ponniammanmedu (5 km), Vepery (3.5 km), Vinayagapuram (6 km), Chennai Central railway station (8 km), and Erukkancheri (3 km) Otteri (1.2 km) Ambattur (11 km)
Streets and roads
Some of the major connecting roads and streets include Paper Mills Road, Perambur Main Road, Perambur High Road, Madhavaram High road, Anandavelu street, Venkatraman street, Paddy Field Road, Patel Road, Bharathi Road (Paddy Field Road), Siruvallur Road, Foxen Street, Chinnaiya New Colony, Beer Shop Lane, Rangasayee Street, Ballard Street, Mohamadan Street, Damodaran Street, Raghavan Street,sundara vinayagar koil street, Jaganathan Colony, Carpenter Street, Nellam Garden Street, B.B Road and Bunder Garden Street.
Murasoli Maran Flyover
The rail over bridge connecting Perambur railway station with that Perambur Carriage Works had been a source of transportation discomfort because of its narrow pass and low road which used to flood during rain. In 1999 the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) government decided to build a flyover along with nine others.
The work reached a halt when one of the columns started sinking. This led to the cost of the proposed flyover shoot from Rs.21 crore (210 million) to Rs 34 crore (340 million). Furthermore, DMK lost in the consecutive 2001 elections (although its ally Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) retained Perambur constituency) which led to a further stalemate for the project. The flyovers became the centre of political debacle for the next five years. After DMK came back to power in 2006, it started working on the project once again, but this time with an even more shooting up of the proposed cost.
The flyover serves the people living in Perambur, Kolathur, T.V.K. Nagar, Periyar Nagar, Kumaran Nagar, Ayanavaram, Vinayagapuram, Madhavaram, Mathur and Kodungaiyur.
The flyover was constructed with different plan and was inaugurated by the then Chief Minister Mr. Karunanidhi and the then Deputy Chief Minister Mr. Stalin on 28 March 2010. The flyover serves to reduce the traffic congestion in and around North Chennai. It is 1.3 km in length and 13 meters high from the ground, and is one of the tallest bridges in Chennai after Kathipara, Guindy. The bridge consist of three levels, road below, rail in the middle and road again at the top.
Places of worship
- Perambur Ayyappan Temple
- Selva Vinayagar Temple, Kumaraswamy St
- Thulukath Amman Thirukoil
- Vinayagar Koil
- Lakshmi Amman Koil
- Pazhani Aandavar Koil
- Kalasathaman koil
- Muthu Mari Amman Koil
- Ellaiamman Koil
- Semmathamman koil
- Shiva Vishnu Koil
- BB road- Perumal koil
- Venugopalan koil
- Saibaba koil
- Shri Ravieshwarar Koil, Vyasarpadi(Shri Vyasar Padiya Sthalam,Very Powerful Lord shiva )
- Mani Sir Aashram
- Lakshmi Amman Koil, M.T.H Road
- Fidayene Masjid.
- Rahmaniyah Masjid.
- Dargah Masjid.
- Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine (Roman Catholic) (117 years old)
- Saint Theresa's Church (Roman Catholic)
- Saint Joseph's Church (Syro-Malabar Catholic)
- Saint Gregory's Church (Orthodox)
- Saint George's Church (Orthodox)
- CSI Holy Cross Church (Church of South India|CSI, Protestant) (Perambur Railway Institute more than 150years old)
- CSI Wesely Church (CSI, Protestant) (over 150 years old)
- Apostolic Christian Assemblies Perambur Branch
- TELC Bethel Church (Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church)
- Rahmania Masjid,Shanthi Nagar, Jamaliya Nagar, Perambur
- Ansarul Islam Mosque, Tiruvallur St, Kennedy Square, Perambur
- Fidayane Masjid, Sembiyan, Perambur
- Masjid E Hussaini and Madarasa, Mohammaden St, Sembiyan, Perambur
- Tahniyat Mosque, SRP Koil St N, Peravallur, Perambur
- Masjid-e-Khalique, 3rd Circular St, Jawahar Nagar, Perambur
- Masjid Al-Huda, 19th St, Periyar Nagar West, Perambur
- Masjib E Rahmath, Kannivakkam, State Bank Colony, Perambur
- Hazrat Syed Husain Shah Khadiri Mosque, 10/15, Park St, Gopal Colony, Perambur
- Begum Shafia Mosque, Perambur High Rd, Desia Colony, Jamalia, Perambur
- Jamalia Mosque and Arabic College,Perambur High Rd, Desia Colony, Jamalia, Perambur
- Smt Chandabai Pagariya Jain Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Kaligi Ranganathan Montford Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- St. Mary's Matriculation Girls higher secondary school
- St. Mary's Matriculation Boys higher secondary school
- Chennai Corporation Higher Secondary School
- Dharmamurthi Rao Bahadur Calavala Cunnan Chetty's (DRBCCC) Higher Secondary School
- Veera Savarkar Netaji Matriculation School
- Don Bosco Higher Secondary School
- Don Bosco Nursery and Primary School which with Savio Primary School is on the premises of the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes
- Gnanodhaya Vidhyalayam
- Lourdes Girls Higher Secondary School
- Railway Mixed Higher Secondary School
- Begum Latheefunnisa Islamic Nursery and Primary School
- Sacred Heart's Nursery and Primary School
- St. Joseph's Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School
- St.Thomas Primary School
- Jamalia Higher Secondary School
- SKNS PMC Vivekananda Vidyalaya
- Voc Vidiyalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Periyar matriculation higher secondary school
- SRI BALA VIDYALAYA (CBSE SCHOOL)
- KRM Public School (CBSE school)
- Cure Advanced Dental Care®
- Southern Railway Headquarters Hospital
- Jupiter Surgical Specialty Centre
- Abhijay Hospital
- Aruldoss Hospital
- Eswari Hospital
- Srinivas Priya Hospital
- Aishwarya Hospital (child care)
- Iyappa Diabetes Hospital
- Vigneshwara Eye Hospital in Nelvayal road
- Thiru-Vi-Ka Nagar
- Thala Colony
- Periyar Nagar
- SRP Colony
- Jawahar Nagar
- Ram Nagar
- Ramana Nagar
- Teed's Garden
- Huzur Garden
- Kennedy Square
- Jaibhim Nagar
- Maduma Nagar
- State Bank Colony
- Vellayan Market
- Wadia Nagar
- Bunder Garden
- Gopal Colony
- Ramamurthy Colony
- Chinnaiyan Colony
- Kakanji Colony
- Loco Scheme
- Vettri Nagar
- Kumaran Nagar
- Perambur Barracks
- Integral Coach Factory
- GKM Colony
- Southern Railway Quarters
- Neelam Garden
- "Acquisition of Neighbouring Villages of Madras". Corporation of Chennai.
- "Integral Coach Factory". icf.indianrailways.gov.in. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Lord Baden Powell biography -". Biography Online. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Stalin's appointment fuels hope on Perambur flyover". Chennai, India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perambur.|