|Created by||Dennis Prager
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||211|
|Running time||4-6 minute|
|Original release||August 22, 2010– present|
Prager University (often stylized as PragerU) is a 501(c)3 non-profit conservative digital media organization. It was founded in 2011 by nationally syndicated talk show host Dennis Prager, and radio producer and screenwriter Allen Estrin. PragerU’s 200+ short, animated videos on Facebook and YouTube cover topics relating to economics, history, foreign affairs, political science, psychology, religion, and more. Prager created the website to share clear, succinct conservative perspectives on a wide variety of issues. PragerU is not an accredited academic institution. As of May 1, 2017, PragerU’s videos have received over 526.7 million views on Facebook and YouTube, while its Facebook page has 2.1 million followers, and its YouTube channel has 797,000 subscribers. [n 1]
While many of PragerU’s early videos primarily featured Dennis Prager, it has since grown to include dozens of other presenters--including former Danish Prime Minister and NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, comedian Adam Carolla, TV star Mike Rowe, Somali-born Dutch-American activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and Wall Street Journal columnist Kimberley Strassel.
In October 2016, twenty-one of PragerU’s videos were partially censored by YouTube, a move that sparked concerns over YouTube’s political impartiality and respect for freedom of speech. The controversy is ongoing and has been widely covered in the news media.
Mission and vision
"The greatest threat to America is that most Americans don’t know what makes America great. PragerU's mission is to explain and spread what we call ‘Americanism’ through the power of the Internet. Our five-minute videos are conservative sound bites that clarify profoundly significant and uniquely American concepts for more than 100 million people each year.”
"We help millions of people understand the fundamental values that shaped America, and provide them with the intellectual ammunition they need to defend and spread those values. PragerU is a resource for every American—and every person in the world who values liberty—for understanding and explaining the values we share."
In October 2016, PragerU announced that YouTube had “restricted” at least 15 of its videos. "Restricted" videos cannot be accessed by anyone using filters for obscene or sexual content. Alphabet Inc, the parent company of Google and YouTube, claims that the restrictions were implemented by autonomous algorithms based on user feedback and were not deliberate. However, most videos remained restricted months after PragerU contacted YouTube staff, and the issue has not been resolved. Conservative media outlets have decried the restrictions as outright censorship, citing a host of YouTube videos produced by other groups that cover similar content yet remain fully accessible. A petition to remove the restrictions has garnered over 100,000 signatures. Currently, the videos are no longer restricted.
Videos that are or were restricted include:
- Did Bush Lie about Iraq?
- Israel’s Legal Founding
- Why Did America Fight in the Korean War?
- Why Don’t Feminists Fight for Muslim Women?
- What Should We Do About Guns?
- Are the Police Racist?
- Who’s More Pro-Choice: Europe or America?
- Who NOT to vote for
- Don’t Judge Blacks Differently
- What ISIS Wants
- Islamic Terror: What Muslim Americans Can Do
- Pakistan: Can Sharia and Freedom Coexist?
- Why do People Become Islamic Extremists?
- Israel: The World’s Most Moral Army
- Radical Islam: The Most Dangerous Ideology
- What is the University Diversity Scam?
- He Wants You
- These numbers are accurate as of May 1, 2017, and are pulled directly from PragerU's Facebook and YouTube pages.
- Hallowell, Billy. "Radio Host Dennis Prager Has a New Online 'College' to Combat Liberal Bias and Teach Judeo-Christian Values". The Blaze.
- "Warning: This Article Is Educational". Wall Street Journal, Oct. 19, 2016
- Shapiro, Adam. "Dennis Prager: The Pitfalls of Politically Correct". Fox Business.
- "YouTube restricts access to Alan Dershowitz video". Boston Globe, Hiawatha Bray October 14, 2016
- Payton, Bre. "Why is YouTube Censoring 21 Educational Videos From PragerU?". The Federalist.
- Prager, Dennis. "Google/Youtube versus Conservative Speech". The National Review.
- Kumar, Anugrah. "YouTube Blocks Pro-Israel Muslim's Video as Hate Speech". The Christian Post.