This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Saligramam (சாலிகிராமம் ) is a residential locality situated in the western part of Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India. Saligramam is surrounded by Vadapalani in the East Virugambakkam in the West, KK Nagar in the South and Koyambedu in the north. Saligramam was part of Saidapet Taluk in Chengleput District before it was merged with Chennai City and District in the Year 1977.
Saligramam was having the Majority of Film Studios. Prasad Studio, AVM studios, Majestic Sudios, Vasu Studios, Shyamala Studios, Star studios, Prakash Studios, Bharani Studios, Arunachalam Studios are some among them. Now Prasad Studio, AVM studios are only operational. Prasad Film Labs and other cine production houses and rerecording theatres are located here. Most Cine personalities (Vijay, Vijayakanth, Arjun, Bharath, Vadivelu, Senthil, Mayilsamy, Kovai Sarala, director-Hari, T. P. Gajendran, Karunas, Singer-Chithra and others) and cine workers are resided over them.
Regional passport office in Chennai Saligramam, HCL and CISCO system such IT firms are available in Arcot Road. Also "vijaya forum mall" one of the big Shopping mall in Chennai available here. Star hotels like GreenPark, Hotel Adithya, Hotel Mayura and also local hotels like Saravana Bhavan, Gupta Bhavan, Adyar ananda bhavan, Krishna sweets, Grand sweets and parvathi bhavan are available here.
Sooriya Hospital, Vijaya Hospital, SRM medical university & Bharani hospital are the leading hospitals in Chennai located here. Fortune Hospital is under construction.
Arcot Road is the Major road connecting Vadapalani and Virugambakkam via Saligramam. Arunachalam Road is the major road with leading Banks (ICICI, SBI, PNB, Canara bank, Andhra Bank, IOB, Indian Bank, Chennai Central cooperative bank, HDFC and others), ATMs, Commercial Complexs, major shops.
Also projected Mono rail between Saligramam to Porur.
The theatres in and around Saligramam are
- AVM Rajeswari
- SSR Pankajam
- Kamala ( Screen 1& 2 ) in Vadapalani
- Forum mall palazzo theater in Vadapalani
- Fame National ( Screen 1 - 5) in Virugambakkam.
Of this SSR Pankajam is owned by the yesteryear Tamil actor SS Rajendran and AVM Rajeswari owned by AVM group. Kamala theatre is now redesigned into Kamala1 and Kamala2 is owned by Chidambaram Chettiar who was known for his philanthropy.
Popular school in the area include Little Millennium (Educomp) for pre-schoolers (behind SSR Pankajam theatre), Ramalinga Mission Middle School which is situated in Gangappa Naidu Street (Opposite to AVM Studios) is the Oldest School in Saligramam, which was established in the year 1952 by Tamil Nadu Ramalinga Mission. Medium of Instruction in the School is Tamil. Clarence Matriculation Higher Secondary School is also one of the oldest school in the area.
Temples nearby and in Saligramam are
- vengeeswarar temple vadapalani
- Ponniamman Temple
- Vadajothi Vinayagar Temple in Vadapalani Bus depot
- Adhimoolaperumal Temple in Vadapalani
- Vadapalani Murugan Temple
- Lord Vengeeswarar Temple in Vadapalani
- Kaveri Vinayakar Temple
- Dhanalakshmi Colony Vinakayar Temple
- Swami Ayyapan Temple at Arunachalam Road
- Dharma Muneeswarar Temple
- Nagaathaman Temple in Dhasarathapuram
- Bharani Colony Ganesha Temple
- Sri Valampuri Vinayagar Temple
- Sri Shankara Narayana Temple in Sri Ramar Street
- Sri Ragavendra Temple in Sri Ramar Street, Devaraj Nagar
- Aram Valartha Nayaki Samedha Kurungaleeswarar Temple and Vaikundavasa Perumal Temple in Koyambedu.
- Vinai theerkum vinayagar temple (Gandhinagar, Saligramam)