Central Board of Excise and Customs
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Customs & Central Excise|
|Logo of the Customs & Central Excise.|
|Formed||26 Jan 1944|
|Employees||19,137 (Gazetted Officers) & 53,754(Non Gazetted Officers)|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Governing body||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Finance, North Block, New Delhi, India|
|Agency executive||Mrs. J.M. Shanti Sundharam, IRS, Chairman|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue|
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India. The Customs & Central Excise department was established in the year 1855 by the then British Governor General of India, to administer customs laws in India and collection of import duties / land revenue. It is one of the oldest government departments of India.
Currently the Customs and Excise department comes under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance. The agency is staffed by IRS officers who start their careers as Assistant Commissioners in the field and within 20–25 years rise to the post of Chief Commissioners, with a few senior most officers who become Members of CBEC / CESTAT / Settlement Commission.
The Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC) is headed by Chairperson CBEC and consist of six Members of CBEC.
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
- Directorate General of Central Excise Intelligence
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU-IND)
- Directorate General of Inspection of Customs & Central Excise
- National Academy of Customs Excise and Narcotics
- Central Economic Intelligence Bureau
- Directorate General of Vigilance
- Directorate General of Audit
- Directorate General of Export Promotion
- Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal
- Directorate General of Service Tax
- Opium & Alkaloid Department
- Economic Intelligence Council
- Enforcement Directorate
- Central Bureau of Narcotics
Central Excise & Customs
- Collection of Excise Duty & Service Tax.
- Collection of Customs Duty on Land Customs Station, ICD's, SEZ's, Container Freight Station.
- Prevention of Smuggling through Land Customs Station & Border Check Points.
- Collection of Customs Duty on International Airports, Seaports, Custom Houses, International Air Cargo Stations & International ICD's.
- Prevention of Smuggling on International Airports & Seaports.
- To protect Airport & Seaports economically.
Central Bureau of Narcotics
- Collection of Narcotics Duty in Madhya Pradesh, Utter Pradesh & Rajasthan.
- Prevention of drug trafficking and the abuse of illegal substances.
Ranks of the Customs & Central Excise Department
|Position in the Government of India||Level and Rank||Order of Precedence
(As per Presidential order)
|1||Apex Scale||CBEC Chairperson / Member CBEC / Principal Chief Commissioner / DG Central Economic Intelligence Bureau (Equivalent to) Secretary to Government of India||23||Rs. 80,000 (Fixed)|
|2||Higher Admn. Grade +||Chief Commissioner / Director General (Equivalent to) Special Secretary to Government of India||23||Rs. 75,500 - 80,000|
|3||Higher Administrative Grade||Principal Commissioner (Equivalent to) Additional Secretary to Government of India||25||Rs. 67,000 - 79,000 with GP Rs. 12,000|
|4||Senior Administrative Grade||Commissioner (Equivalent to) Joint Secretary to Government of India||26||Rs. 37,400 - 67,000 with GP Rs. 10,000|
|5||Selection Grade||Additional Commissioner (Equivalent to) Director to Government of India||Rs. 37,400 - 67,000 with GP Rs. 8,700|
|6||Junior Admn. Grade||Joint Commissioner (Equivalent to) Deputy Secretary to Government of India||Rs. 15,600 - 39,100 with GP Rs. 7,600|
|7||Senior Time Scale||Deputy Commissioner (Equivalent to) Under Secretary Secretary to Government of India||Rs. 15,600 - 39,100 with GP Rs. 6,600|
|8||Junior Time Scale||Assistant Commissioner / Entry Level IRS Officer (Probationer)||Rs. 15,600 - 39,100 with GP Rs. 5,400|
|9||NA||Superintendent / Sr. Intelligence Officer / District Opium Officer / Appraising Officer||Rs. 15,600 - 39,100 with GP Rs. 5,400 or 4,800|
|10||NA||Inspector / Preventive Officer / Intelligence Officer / Examiner||Rs. 9,300 - 34,800 with GP Rs. 4,600|
|11||NA||Sr. Tax Assistant||Rs. 9,300 - 34,800 with GP Rs. 4,200|
|12||NA||Tax Assistant||Rs. 5,200 - 20,000 with GP Rs. 2,400|
|13||NA||Head Havaldar||Rs. 5,200 - 20,000 with GP Rs. 1,900|
|14||NA||Havaldar||Rs. 5,200 - 20,000 with GP Rs. 1,800|
Union tax laws enforced by the Customs & Excise departments
- Central Excise Act, 1944
- Customs Act, 1962
- Customs Tariff Act, 1975
- The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940
- NDPS act, 1985
A TV serial on Sony Channel was aired on every Thursday, named 'Powder', a production of Yashraj pictures. it was based on Customs Department & Narcotics Department.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|