Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs|
|Formed||26 January 1944|
|Employees||19,137 (Gazetted Officers) & 53,754 (Non Gazetted Officers)|
|Governing body||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Finance, North Block, New Delhi, India|
|Elected officer responsible|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue, Government of India.|
The Central Board of Indirect taxes and Customs (CBIC) (Hindi:केंद्रीय अप्रत्यक्ष कर एवं सीमा शुल्क बोर्ड) is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India. The Customs & Central Excise/CGST department was established in the year 1855 by the then British Governor General of India, to administer customs laws in India and collection of import duties / land revenue. It is one of the oldest government departments of India.
Currently the Customs and Central Excise /CGST department comes under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of India. The agency is staffed by IRS officers who start their careers as Assistant Commissioners in the field and within 20–25 years rise to the post of Chief Commissioners, with a few senior most officers who become Chairman/Members of CBIC / CESTAT / Settlement Commission.
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) is headed by S. Ramesh and consist of six Members of CBIC.
- Chairperson - Mr. S. Ramesh, IRS
- Member (Budget) - Mr. John Joseph, IRS
- Member (Customs) - Mr. Pranab Kumar Das, IRS
- Member (admin.) - Mr. Raj Kumar Barthwal, IRS
- Member (GST) - Mr. Mahender Singh, IRS
- Member (IT) - Mr. Susanta Kumar Panda, IRS
- Member ( Central Excise, Service Tax and Legal) - Smt. Ameeta Suri, IRS
The designations and time-scales within the Indian Revenue Service (Customs & CGST) are as follows after cadre restructure:
|Position / Pay Grade in the Government of India||Level and Rank|
|1||Junior Time Scale||Assistant Commissioner of Customs and CGST / Entry-level (Probationer)|
|2||Senior Time Scale||Deputy Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Under Secretary to Government of India|
|3||Junior Administrative Grade||Joint Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Deputy Secretary to Government of India|
|4||Selection Grade||Additional Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Director to Government of India|
|5||Senior Administrative Grade||Commissioner of Customs and CGST/Additional Director General (Equivalent to) Joint Secretary to Government of India|
|6||Higher Administrative Grade||Principal Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Additional Secretary to Government of India|
|7||Higher Administrative Grade +||Chief Commissioner of Customs and CGST /Director General (Equivalent to) Special Secretary to Government of India|
|8||Apex Scale||Principal Chief Commissioner of Customs and CGST/ Chairman/Member of CBIC. Director General of Central Economic Intelligence Bureau (Equivalent to) Secretary to Government of India|
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
- Directorate General of GST Intelligence
- Central Economic Intelligence Bureau
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU- India)
- Directorate General of Performance Management
- National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes & Narcotics (NACIN)
- Directorate General of Vigilance
- Directorate General of Audit
- Directorate General of Export Promotion
- Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal
- Directorate General of Goods & Services Tax Intelligence
- Opium & Alkaloid Department
- Economic Intelligence Council
- Enforcement Directorate
- Central Bureau of Narcotics
Central Goods & Service Tax/Central Excise
- Collection of Goods & Service Tax and Central Excise Duty.
- Collection of Customs Duty on International Airports, Seaports, Custom Houses, International Air Cargo Stations & International ICD's.
- Collection of Customs Duty on Land Customs Station, Inland Container Depots (ICD's), Special Economic Zones (SEZ's) & Container Freight Stations (CFS's).
- Prevention of Smuggling on International Airports & Sea.
- Prevention of Smuggling through Land Customs Station & Border Check Points.