|Slogan||All the goods. At a great value.|
|Compatible networks||GSM/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA+, CDMA EVDO Rev A, WCDMA, LTE, LTE Advanced, 5G|
|First released||August 26, 2021|
|Availability by region|
|Dimensions||H: 156.2 mm (6.15 in)|
W: 73.2 mm (2.88 in)
D: 8.8 mm (0.35 in)
|Mass||183 g (6.5 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android 11|
Current: Android 13
|System-on-chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G|
|CPU||Octa-core, (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)|
|Memory||6 GB LPDDR4X|
|Storage||128 GB UFS 2.1|
|Charging||18 W fast charging|
|Display||FHD+ 1080p OLED, 2400 × 1080 resolution (20:9 aspect ratio)|
Gorilla Glass 3, HDR
6.34 in (161 mm), 415 ppi
|Rear camera||Sony Exmor IMX363 12.2 MP, 1.4 μm with f/1.7 lens (wide), Dual Pixel Phase autofocus and optical image stabilization + 16 MP (ultrawide), 1.0 μm with f/2.2 lens, 107°, Electronic image stabilization|
4K at 30/60 fps, 1080p at 30/60/120/240 fps, 720p at 30/60/240 fps
|Front camera||8 MP with f/2.0 lens and 84° lens, fixed focus, 1080p at 30 fps, 720p at 30 fps, 480p at 30 fps|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 5 (ac/n/g/b/a) 2.4 + 5.0 GHz, Bluetooth 5.0 + LE, NFC, GPS (GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS)|
|Data inputs||USB Type-C|
|Water resistance||IP67, up to 1 m (3.3 ft) for 30 minutes|
|Other||Titan M security module|
|Website||Google Pixel 5a with 5G|
The Pixel 5a, also known as the Pixel 5a with 5G, is an Android smartphone designed, developed, and marketed by Google as part of the Google Pixel product line. It serves as a mid-range variant of the Pixel 5. It was officially announced on August 17, 2021 via a press release and released on August 26.
Design and hardware
The Pixel 5a is built with an aluminum body and Gorilla Glass 3 for the screen. The device is available in a single color, Mostly Black. The housing has a thick coating of plastic, while the power button is textured. The back houses a capacitive fingerprint sensor centered below the camera lens. It has stereo loudspeakers, one located on the bottom edge and the other doubling as the earpiece, and a 3.5 mm headphone jack. A USB-C port is used for charging and connecting other accessories.
The Pixel 5a uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G system-on-chip (consisting of eight Kryo 475 cores, an Adreno 620 GPU and a Hexagon 696 DSP), with 6 GB of LPDDR4X RAM and 128 GB of non-expandable UFS 2.1 internal storage. The Snapdragon 765G allows for standard 5G connectivity, however only "sub-6" networks are supported.
The Pixel 5a includes dual rear-facing cameras located within a raised square module. The wide 28 mm 77° f/1.7 lens has the Sony Exmor IMX363 12.2-megapixel sensor, while the ultrawide 107° f/2.2 lens has a 16-megapixel sensor; the front-facing camera uses an 8-megapixel sensor. It is capable of recording 4K video at 30 or 60 fps.
The Pixel 5a shipped with Android 11 and Google Camera 8.2 at launch, with features such as Call Screen and a Personal Safety app. It is expected to receive 3 years of major OS upgrades with support extending until August 2024. It is the first Pixel phone not to ship with unlimited storage in high definition on Google Photos.. In October 2021, the Pixel 5a was updated to Android 12 and in August 2022, the Pixel 5a was updated to Android 13 .
- The Pixel 5a overheats when recording 4K 60 fps videos. It can only record 4 minutes of 4K video (or 30 minutes of 1080p video) before it shuts down. Google continues[when?] to investigate the overheating issue.
- There are touchscreen issues with the bottom half of the display. Google is[when?] investigating them.
- "Pixel 5a with 5G Tech Specs - Google Store". Google Store. Retrieved August 21, 2021.
- GSMArena. "Pixel 5a 5G".
- "Driver Binaries for Nexus and Pixel Devices". Google Developers. November 8, 2022. Archived from the original on November 29, 2022. Retrieved November 29, 2022.
- Johnson, Allison (August 17, 2021). "Google Pixel 5A comes with a bigger battery and screen, smaller price tag". The Verge. Retrieved August 21, 2021.
- Amadeo, Ron (August 17, 2021). "The Google Pixel 5a is $449, adds a bigger screen and water resistance". Ars Technica. Retrieved August 26, 2021.
- Amadeo, Ron (September 1, 2021). "Google Pixel 5a review: "Which Android phone should I buy?" This one". Ars Technica. Retrieved October 24, 2021.
- "Learn when you'll get Android updates on Google Pixel phones & Nexus devices - Pixel Phone Help".
- Hager, Ryne (August 17, 2021). "The Pixel 5a won't have unlimited high-quality Google Photos backups". Android Police. Archived from the original on August 17, 2021. Retrieved April 4, 2022.
- Blumenthal, Eli (August 19, 2021). "Google's new Pixel 5A phone has an overheating problem". CNET. Retrieved August 26, 2021.
- Google is looking into Pixel 5a video overheating issues and touchscreen problems