|A version of the Android operating system|
Android 2.2.3 Home Screen
|Initial release||May 20, 2010|
|Latest release||2.2.3 / November 21, 2011|
|Preceded by||Android 2.1 "Eclair"|
|Succeeded by||Android 2.3 "Gingerbread"|
Android "Froyo" is a codename of the Android mobile operating system developed by Google, spanning versions between 2.2 and 2.2.3. Those versions are no longer supported. It was unveiled on May 20, 2010, during the Google I/O 2010 conference.
One of the most prominent changes in the Froyo release was USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality. Other changes include support for the Android Cloud to Device Messaging (C2DM) service, enabling push notifications, Additional application speed improvements, implemented through JIT compilation and displayed within applications as top-of-the-screen banners.
New features introduced by Froyo include the following:
- Speed, memory, and performance optimizations.
- Additional application speed improvements, implemented through JIT compilation
- Support for the Android Cloud to Device Messaging (C2DM) service, enabling push notifications.
- Improved Microsoft Exchange support, including security policies, auto-discovery, GAL look-up, calendar synchronization and remote wipe.
- Improved application launcher with shortcuts to Phone and Browser applications.
- USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality.
- Option to disable data access over mobile network.
- Updated Market application with batch and automatic update features.
- Quick switching between multiple keyboard languages and their dictionaries.
- Support for Bluetooth-enabled car and desk docks.
- Support for numeric and alphanumeric passwords.
- Support for file upload fields in the Browser application.
- The browser now shows all frames of animated GIFs instead of just the first frame only.
- Support for installing applications to the expandable memory.
- Adobe Flash support, later removed in 2.2.3
- Support for high-PPI displays (up to 320 ppi), such as four-inch 720p screens.
- Introduced .asec file extension.
- Gallery allows users to view picture stacks using a zoom gesture.
- Lead, Xavier Ducrohet, Android Sdk Tech (2010-05-20). "Android 2.2 and developers goodies. | Android Developers Blog". Android 2.2 and developers goodies. | Android Developers Blog. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Android 2.2 ‘Froyo’ Features USB, Wi-Fi Tethering". WIRED. WIRED. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "EXCLUSIVE: AndroidPolice.com's Nexus One Is Running Android 2.2 Froyo. How Fast Is It Compared To 2.1? Oh, Only About 450% Faster". Android Police. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Dashboards | Android Developers". developer.android.com. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Unofficially Confirmed Froyo Features, Post-Day-1 Of Google I/O [Google I/O Blitz Coverage, Day 1]". Android Police. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Issue 2519 - android - Browser should support file uploads (input type="file") - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting". code.google.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Google's Andy Rubin on Everything Android". Bits Blog. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Supporting Multiple Screens | Android Developers". developer.android.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.