Treasure (Cussler novel)
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hardcover first Edition
|Cover artist||Paul Bacon|
|Series||Dirk Pitt Novels|
|Genre||Adventure, Techno-thriller novel|
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover & Paperback)|
|Pages||539 pp (Hardcover edition)|
|LC Class||PS3553.U75 T7 1988|
The book starts with a historical prologue in which Julius Venator, a Roman, along with a group of Roman soldiers and slaves, sail in a fleet of ships ferrying the treasures from the Library of Alexandria before its destruction to a secret location to be buried in underground caverns. After the treasures are buried the people, the Roman soldiers, and slaves are all slaughtered by the natives. While one small ship manages to get away, they never reach land and the secret of the treasure is lost.
The plot then shifts to a Middle Eastern terrorist secretly hijacking a plane carrying Hala Kamil, the new United Nations Secretary-General, the hijacker bails out of the plane after ensuring that the plane crash lands in Greenland, where Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino, and Rudi Gunn are trying to locate a sunken Soviet submarine. Also in the area is Lily Sharp, who discovers an ancient coin. They rescue Hala from the plane wreck. As the plot unfolds, several more attempts are made on Hala’s life, since she is trying to stop would-be dictator Akhmad Yazid from taking over Egypt. It is later revealed that both Topiltzin and Yazid are scions of a notorious crime family. Dirk is distracted by the promise of treasure, however. Locating a shipwreck in Greenland, they soon find a tablet detailing a mission to hide the treasure of the library at Alexandria. As Dirk, Al, and the Special Operations Forces rescue Hala Kamil from a hijacked ship in the Straits of Magellan, Hiram Yaeger locates the treasure — in Rome, Texas. The final stretch of the novel involves Dirk trying to hide the treasure from Yazid and his brother Topiltzin. Eventually, the treasure is discovered and Yazid, Topiltzin and their henchmen are killed.
Characters in Treasure
- Dirk Pitt—Special Projects Director for the National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA)
- Admiral James Sandecker—Chief Director of NUMA
- Al Giordino—Assistant Special Projects Director for NUMA.
- Rudi Gunn—Director of Logistics for NUMA.
- Hala Kamil—UN Secretary General
- Dr. Lily Sharp—researcher who finds Roman coin
- Paul Capesterre—aka Akhmad Yazid, son of a criminal family and would-be dictator of Egypt
- Robert Capesterre—aka Topiltzin (brother of Paul) would be dictator of Mexico
Film, TV or theatrical adaptations
No film, television or theatrical adaptations have yet been produced from this novel.
- 1988, United States, Simon & Schuster, ISBN 0-671-62613-2, 1988, Hardcover
- 1988, United States, Pocket Books, ISBN 99930-4-807-0, November 1988, Paperback.
- 1989, United States, Pocket Books Reissue, ISBN 0-671-70465-6, October 15, 1989, Paperback.
- 1991, United States, Simon & Schuster, ISBN 0-7924-4679-8, May 1991, Hardcover.
- 2011, United States, Pocket Books, ISBN 1-4516-2101-9, May 2011, Paperback.