Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt
|Founded||July 15, 1945 in Youngstown, Ohio|
|Headquarters||Canfield, Ohio, United States|
Number of locations
Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt is a popular ice cream company franchise founded by Alice Handel in 1945 in Youngstown, Ohio. As of 2018, the company was operating 45 corporate and franchise stores in nine states. Today, it is owned by Leonard Fisher and maintains a corporate headquarters in Canfield, Ohio.
Handel's began when Alice Handel started serving ice cream from her husband's gas station in Youngstown, Ohio in the summer of 1945. The first batches were made using fresh fruit she picked from her own backyard, with old fashioned recipes. Handel's includes locations in California, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama and Nevada. The menu also expanded to over 100 flavors of homemade ice cream and yogurt. Its success has been reported in various publications including travelchannel.com, which recognized Handel's as "One of the Best Ice Cream Parlors in the Country." In May 2001, USA Today rated Handel's as one of the top-ten best ice cream businesses in the country.
The original location was in a gas station in Youngstown, Ohio, and relocated to Handel's Court on Youngstown's South Side. It has been described by Ohio Restaurant News as "The Busiest Ice Cream Stand in America". Chocolatier Magazine distinguished Handel's as "One of the Best Ice Creams in America." In 2006, National Geographic named Handel's the #1 Ice Cream in its '10 Best of Everything' book. Handel's success was documented in many publications such as USA Today, People Magazine, and U.S. News & World Report. Handel's was listed on the book, The 10 Best of Everything and Everyone Loves Ice Cream as one of the best ice creams in the world.
- "Handel's a Main Line Treat". The Villanovan. Archived from the original on 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Handel's Locations". Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Handel's history". Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Handel's In The News". Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Here's the Scoop". Kent News Net. Archived from the original on 2007-12-05. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "They All Scream for Ice Cream in D.C." U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2008-07-17.