Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt
|Genre||Ice cream parlor|
|Founded||July 15, 1945Youngstown, Ohio, U.S.in|
Number of locations
|85 as of June 22, 2021[update]|
|Texas, Southeastern and Southwestern United States|
|Products||Ice cream • frozen yogurt • frozen treats|
|Revenue||US$30 million (2018)|
Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt is an ice cream company franchise founded by Alice Handel in 1945 in Youngstown, Ohio. As of early 2021, the company was operating 85 corporate and franchise stores in nine states. Today, it is owned by Leonard Fisher and maintains a corporate headquarters in Canfield, Ohio.
Handel's began when Alice Handel started serving ice cream from her husband's gas station in Youngstown, Ohio in the summer of 1945. The business later relocated to Handel's Court on Youngstown's south side.
Handel's now includes locations in California, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama, Utah, Texas and Nevada. The menu has expanded to over 150 flavors of homemade ice cream and yogurt.
Its success has been reported in various publications including the Travel Channel, which recognized Handel's as "One of the Best Ice Cream Parlors in the Country." In July 2002, USA Today rated it as one of the top-ten best ice cream businesses in the country. In 2020, Handel's was named as one of the top 500 franchises by Entrepreneur Magazine's Franchise 500 ranking. The original stand—still located in Youngstown, Ohio—has been quoted as “The Busiest Ice Cream Stand in America” by Ohio Restaurant News.
It has been described by Ohio Restaurant News as "The Busiest Ice Cream Stand in America". Chocolatier Magazine called Handel's "One of the Best Ice Creams in America." In 2006, National Geographic named Handel's the #1 ice cream in its 10 Best of Everything book. Handel's success has also been documented by People Magazine, U.S. News & World Report, and the book Everyone Loves Ice Cream.
- DiFurio, Dom; McCaffrey, Orla (June 14, 2019). "Whataburger's founding family sells controlling stake in iconic Texas chain". Dallas News. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
- "Handel's a Main Line Treat". The Villanovan. Archived from the original on 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Handel's history". Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Fuqua, Joseph (19 July 2002). "10 Great Places to Scream for Ice Cream" (PDF) (Travel). USA Today. Retrieved 14 January 2021.
- "Franchise 500 Ranking". Entrepreneur. Entrepreneur. Retrieved 14 January 2021.
- "Handel's In The News". Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "They All Scream for Ice Cream in D.C." U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Cosby and Handel's". Newspaper. The Vindicator.
- Linert, Brenda (7 June 1999). "Celebrities Scream for Handel's Ice Cream" (PDF). Newspaper. Tribune Chronicle. Retrieved 14 January 2021.
- "Here's the Scoop". Kent News Net. Archived from the original on 2007-12-05. Retrieved 2008-07-17.