|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
|Founded||Seattle, Washington, Washington (1985)|
Cinnabon is a chain of American baked goods stores and kiosks, normally found in areas with high pedestrian traffic such as malls and airports. The company's signature item is a large cinnamon roll. As of July 2009, over 750 Cinnabon bakeries were operating in more than 30 countries. Its headquarters are in Sandy Springs, Georgia. The company is owned by Focus Brands, an affiliate of private equity firm Roark Capital Group. The President & Chief Operating Officer is currently Kat Cole, who worked her way up from serving as a waitress at a fast casual chain to President & COO of Cinnabon before age 35.
The first Cinnabon opened on December 4, 1985 in Federal Way, Washington in Sea Tac Mall. Cinnabon was an offshoot of the Seattle Based Restaurants Unlimited restaurant chain run by Rich Komen. Mr. Komen wanted to create the worlds most "perfect" cinnamon roll, eventually hiring Jerilyn Brusseau to finalize the iconic recipe. The first bakery began by serving only its Cinnabon Classic cinnamon roll. Cinnabon's first franchise-operated store opened in August 1986 in Philadelphia. In 1991, the first Cinnabon store outside a mall was opened in Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. Cinnabon stores today can also be found in military bases, universities, rapid transit stations, casinos, and amusement parks.
Cinnabon was bought by AFC Enterprises, Inc. in 1998 for $65 million. In 2004, AFC Enterprises, Inc., sold Cinnabon for $30.3 million to FOCUS Brands, Inc., which is owned by the Atlanta-based private equity firm Roark Capital Group. The headquarters moved to Greater Atlanta in 1999.
Cinnabon has many international franchise operations, including in major cities of Pakistan (Karachi and Lahore), Cyprus, Poland, and its largest branch outside the United States and Canada is in Stars Centre in Cairo. The restaurant is noted for being the first U.S franchise to open in Libya after the ouster of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
- About Us. focusbrands.com
- "Cinnabon At-A-Glance." Cinnabon. Retrieved on February 25, 2010.
- "City Council Districts." City of Sandy Springs. Retrieved on July 4, 2009.
- Focus Brands To Buy Cinnabon From AFC Enterprises. New York Times, September 9, 2004
- "Best Business Leaders 2013 – Business Insider". Business Insider. November 19, 2013.
- "NY Times: AFC Enterprises to Purchase Cinnabon International". The New York Times. August 19, 1998. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "NY Times: Focus Brands to Buy Cinnabon from AFC Enterprises". The New York Times. September 9, 2004. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Roark Capital Group :: Portfolio Companies". roarkcapital.com.
- "Libya Herald: Tripoli’s Cinnabon sales on a sugar high". December 29, 2012. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cinnabon.|