|Headquarters||San Jose, California, United States|
|Glenn D. Lunde (President)|
Togo's Eateries, Inc. is a United States chain of fast casual sandwich restaurants owned by Nimes Capital, who purchased the company from private equity firm Mainsail Partners in December 2015. Its headquarters are in San Jose, California.
Togo's is often combined with Baskin-Robbins' ice cream shops (which were both owned by the same parent company from 1997 to 2007). Most of Togo's stores are franchises. As of April 2018[update] the company has more than 200 locations, in California and other Western states.
In 1967 Gordon Reid of Beverly, Massachusetts, opened a sandwich shop at 336 East William Street near San Jose State University in San Jose, California. At that time, the sandwich shack (in a building built in 1919 and less than 1000 square feet) was so small that only four people at a time could be inside and the sign out front read "Sandwiches To Go" with To Go being on the second line.
In 1971 the shop was purchased by Mike Cobler, a local San Jose State University student. The second Togo's location was opened in Corvallis, Oregon, in 1971 when Reed relocated after the sale of the San Jose location. The third location opened in downtown San Jose in 1974. The first franchise was sold in 1978.
On November 30, 2007, Togo's was sold to Mainsail Partners, a San Francisco-based private equity firm, in partnership with Tony Gioia, a former president of Baskin-Robbins. Gioia served as chairman and chief executive officer of Togo's until his retirement in May 2017. Mainsail sold the company to David Nazarian's Nimes Capital in December 2015.
- Snapshot of Togo's Eateries, LLC., on www.bloomberg.com.
- Purchase of Togo's by Nimes Capital in 2015, on mainsailpartners.com.
- Acquisition of Togo's by Nimes Capital in 2015, on www.nimescapital.com.
- Trevor Lenzmeier, "West Coast Sandwich Icon Togo's Sets Sights on National Growth". QSR magazine, April 16, 2018.
- "336 East William Street, San Jose, CA 95112". LoopNet.
- Sal Pazarro (April 27, 2018). "Carlino family has fed the South Bay for 80 years". Sunnyvale Sun. Bay Area News Group. p. 5.
- Togo's Eateries, Inc."Togo's Announces Acquisition Of 13 Restaurants From Company Founder". prnewswire, September 23, 2014.
- Togo's Eateries, Inc. (June 30, 2015). "Togo's Celebrates 44 Years in Oregon By Giving Away Free Sandwiches". prnewswire.
- Matt Nauman. "S.F. private equity firm buys Togo’s soup-sandwich chain". San Jose Mercury News, December 3, 2007.
- "Glenn Lunde Named New President of Togo's". QSR magazine, June 2, 2017.
- "Nimes Capital to buy Togo’s sandwich franchise". L.A. Biz, December 17, 2015.