Honey Dew Donuts
|Honey Dew Donuts|
The location on Andover St. in Danvers, Massachusetts
Honey Dew Donuts was founded on Church Street in Mansfield, Massachusetts, by Richard J. Bowen in 1973. In 1975, a customer suggested bringing a Honey Dew Donuts location to his community, who later became the first franchisee.
Bowen went by the nickname "Dick." He was introduced to the aspect of donuts at the age of twelve by working with his father making donuts in a local donut shop in his community. He discovered his desire for a career in entrepreneurship while attending Stoughton High School, from which he graduated in 1965. After graduating from high school, Bowen enlisted in the army. He was relocated to Germany because of his deployment, where he worked as a donut baker and mechanic.
Today, Honey Dew Donuts has more than 150 franchises in New England. The Quincy, Massachusetts YMCA location does not sell donuts due to their focus on health; however, their low fat muffins contain more calories than the average donut.
Honey Dew Donuts is known to sell donuts, pastries, muffins, and a variety of coffees. Their motto is "Always Fresh, Always Good!". The original Honey Dew Donuts location is in Mansfield, Massachusetts. The original Plainville, Massachusetts location was one of the first establishments in New England that constructed and utilized a drive-thru. In 2003, the franchise had 140 shops, 65 franchise families, and over 20 corporate employees. In 2012, Olivia Culpo, a Miss Rhode Island and Miss Universe winner, was featured in a Honey Dew Donuts commercial.
- "The History of Honey Dew". Honey Dew Donuts. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "Shop locator". Honey Dew Donuts. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Doughnut-less Honey Dew to open in new Quincy YMCA
- New donut shop opening in gym won't sell donuts
- "BAKERIES, FOOD & DINING, COFFEE AND TEA SHOPS Honey Dew Donuts". Cranston Patch. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "History of Honey Dew Donuts". Honey Dew Donuts. Retrieved April 17, 2013.