This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Miss Grand International
Miss Tourism International
Star Avenue Production
Tryny Marcela Yandar Lobon
(Miss Grand International)
Tan Sri Datuk Danny Ooi
(Miss Tourism International)
Miss Malaysia represents Malaysia in the Big Four international beauty pageants to select Malaysian representatives at Miss Universe, Miss World, Miss International, and Miss Earth, and additionally (starting from 2018 onwards) the three emerging pageants, Miss Supranational, Miss Grand International and Miss Tourism International. The winners of the national pageants are selected at different competitions as each is owned by a different organisation. The winner of these national contests in the Big Four and the Emerging Three hold the title of Miss Universe Malaysia, Miss Malaysia World, Miss Malaysia Earth, Miss International Malaysia, Miss Supranational Malaysia, Miss Grand Malaysia and Miss Tourism Malaysia.
In 1960 until 1961, the Malaysian representatives for Miss International were chosen from closed election in that era until the Miss Malaysia pageant was established in 1963 where the winner will be sent to Miss Universe while the runner-ups will go to Miss World and Miss International. The pageant was no longer exist until 1980 because all the three major titles has their own organisation. In 1960 until 1962, Miss Malaysia was wearing "Miss Malaya" sashes in Miss Universe and Miss International. Malaya also had sent delegates for Miss Universe 1957 until 1961 but they were not considered as the winner of Miss Malaysia and their identity remained unknown due to they were not competing in Miss Universe until in 1962, Malaya sent their official delegate for Miss Universe, she is Sarah AlHabshee Abdullah, Miss Malaya/Universe 1962. Malaysia had once withdrew at the Miss Universe 1963.
Titleholders at Big Four pageants
Malaysia has been represented in the Big Four international beauty pageants, the four major international beauty pageants for women. These are Miss World, Miss Universe, Miss International and Miss Earth.
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as Runner-Up
- Ended as one of the Finalists or Semifinalists
Representative to Miss Universe
|Year||Miss Malaysia||Hometown||Placement||Special Awards|
|2017||Samantha Katie James||Kuala Lumpur||TBA||TBA|
|2016||Kiranmeet Kaur Jassal||Selangor|
|2015||Vanessa Tevi Kumares||Negeri Sembilan|
|2013||Carey Ng Sue Mun||Putrajaya|
|2012||Kimberley Ann Estrop Leggett||Penang|
|2011||Deborah Priya Emmanuel Henry||Kuala Lumpur|
|2010||Nadine Ann Thomas||Selangor|
|2009||Joannabelle Ng Li Vun||Sabah|
|2008||Levy Li Sun Lin||Johor|
|2007||Adelaine Chin Ai Nee||Sarawak|
|2006||Melissa Ann Tan Swee Yen||Malacca|
|2005||Angela Gan Hui Boon||Selangor|
|2004||Andrea Veronica Fonseka||Penang|
|2003||Elaine Daly Boden||Kuala Lumpur|
|2002||Karen Ang Lit Eit||Sarawak|
|2001||Tung Mei Chin||Pahang|
|2000||Lynette Mei Ling Ludi||Sarawak|
|1999||Jeanette Ooi Phaik Kween||Sarawak|
|1998||Sherine Wong Sook Ling||Kuala Lumpur|
|1997||Trincy Low Ee Bing||Kuala Lumpur|
|1996||Adeline Ong Siew Fong||Johor|
|1995||Suziela Binte Azrai||Kuala Lumpur|
|1994||Liza Isabella Koh||Sarawak|
|1992||Crystal Elizabeth Yong||Kuala Lumpur|
|1990||Anna Lin Mei Yoke Lim||Perak|
|1989||Carmen Cheah Swee||Sabah|
|1988||Linda Lum Chee Ling||Perlis|
|1986||Betty Chee Nyuk Pit||Sabah|
|1985||Agnes Chin Lai Hong||Pahang|
|1984||Latifah Abdul Hamid||Kuala Lumpur|
|1983||Puspa Mohammed Salleh||Kedah|
|1982||Siti Rohani Wahid †||Kuala Lumpur|
|1981||Audrey Loh Yin Fong||Perlis|
|1979||Irene Wong Sun Ching||Pahang|
|1978||Yasmin Yusoff||Kuala Lumpur||Best National Costume (3rd)|
|1977||Leong Li Ping||Perak|
|1976||Teh-Faridah Ahmed Norizan||Perak|
|1975||Alice Theresa Cheong Yin Leng||Kuala Lumpur|
|1974||Lily Jeanne Chong||Johor|
|1973||Margaret Loo Tai-Tai||Kuala Lumpur|
|1971||Yvette Maria Batterman||Kuala Lumpur|
|1970||Josephine Lena Wong Jaw Leng||Perak||Top 15||Expo Queen '70|
|1969||Rosemary Wan Chow Mei||Kuala Lumpur|
|1968||Maznah Binte Mohammed Ali||Johor|
|1967||Mohkam Anne Lowe Siprasome||Sarawak|
|1966||Helen Lee Siew Lien||Pahang|
|1965||Patricia Rose Augustus †||Sarawak|
|1963||Nik Azizah Nik Yahya||Terengganu||Did not compete|
|1962||Sarah AlHabshee Abdullah||Kuala Lumpur|
Representative to Miss World 
|Year||Miss Malaysia||Hometown||Placement||Special Awards|
|2016||Shweta Kaur Sekhon (assumed)||Kuala Lumpur|
|Tatiana Nandha Kumar
|2015||Brynn Zalina Lovett||Sabah|
|2014||Dewi Liana Seriestha||Sarawak||Top 25||Miss World Talent 2014|
|2013||Melinder Kaur Bhullar||Kuala Lumpur||4th Runner Up Multimedia Award|
|2012||Lee Yvonne||Selangor||Top 56 Miss World Top Model|
|2011||Chloe Chen Tien Nee||Kuala Lumpur||Top 30 Beauty with a Purpose|
|2010||Nadia Min Dern Heng||Selangor||Top 40 Miss World Beach Beauty|
|2009||Thanuja Ananthan||Kuala Lumpur|
|2007||Deborah Priya Emmanuel Henry||Kuala Lumpur||Top 15|
|2006||Adeline Choo Wan Ling||Johor||Top 25 Miss World Sport|
|2005||Emmeline Ng Wei Shu||Kuala Lumpur||Miss World Sport
Continental Group Award - Asia Pacific
|2004||Gloria Ting Mei Ru||Sarawak|
|2003||Wong Sze Zen||Kuala Lumpur|
|2002||Mabel Ng Chin Mei||Penang|
|2001||Sasha Tan Hwee Teng||Johor|
|2000||Tan Sun Wei||Kuala Lumpur|
|1999||Jaclyn Lee Tze We||Selangor|
|1998||Lina Teoh Pick Lim||Kuala Lumpur||2nd Runner Up||Queen of Asia & Oceania|
|1997||Arianna Teoh Lai Poh||Penang||Top 10|
|1996||Qu-An How Cheok Kuan||Kuala Lumpur|
|1995||Trincy Low Ee Bing||Selangor|
|1994||Rahimah Orchient Yahya||Sabah||Top 10|
|1992||Fazira Wan Chek||Selangor|
|1991||Samantha Schubert †||Selangor|
|1989||Vivien Chen Leonard Bennett||Sarawak|
|1988||Sue Wong Choy Fun||Penang|
|1987||Sheela Shankar||Kuala Lumpur|
|1986||Joan Martha Cardoza||Sarawak|
|1985||Rosalind Kong Siew Yuen||Malacca|
|1984||Christine Teo Pick Yun||Kuala Lumpur|
|1983||Michelle Yeoh Choo Kheng Keng||Perak|
|1982||Nellie Teoh Swee Yang||Negeri Sembilan|
|1981||Cynthia Geraldine de Castro||Pahang|
|1980||Callie Liew Tan Chee||Selangor|
|1979||Shirley Bernaddine Chew||Kuala Lumpur||Top 15|
|1978||Noor Kartina Mohammad Osir||Sabah|
|1977||Christine Mary Lim Lim Boey||Kedah||Withdrew in protest against the presence of a white Miss South Africa|
|1976||Che Puteh Che Naziaden||Terengganu||Withdrew in protest against South Africa's race policies|
|1975||Siti Fauziah Binti Haron||Penang|
|1974||Shirley Tan||Kuala Lumpur|
|1973||Narimah Bte Mohammad Yusoff||Johor|
|1972||Janet Mok Swee Chin †||Putrajaya|
|1971||Daphne Alicia Munro||Sarawak|
|1970||Mary Ann Wong||Kedah|
|1969||Pauline Chai Siew Phin||Labuan||Withdrew|
|1966||Merlyn Therese McKelvie||Sarawak|
|1965||Clara Eunice de Run †||Sarawak|
|1963||Catherine Evelyn Loh||Kuala Lumpur||Top 10||Queen of Asia and Oceania|
Representative to Miss Earth
|Year||Miss Malaysia||Hometown||Placement||Special Awards|
|2015||Danielle Wong Kar Wai||Melaka||WInner Best National Costume - Asia Continents
Winner Best Group Presentation - Team Asia
2nd Place Snowman Building
|2014||Renee Tan Joo May||Melaka|
|2013||Josephine Tan Yee Mei||Pahang||Winner The F Factor|
|2012||Deviyah Daranee Radhakrishnan||Kuala Lumpur||Winner Miss Talent (Group 3)
3rd Place Best National Costume - (Group 3)
|2011||Joyce Tay Tze Hui||Melaka|
|2010||Appey Rowenna Januin||Sabah|
|2009||Madelyne M. Nandu||Sabah||Top 20 Best in Swimsuit|
|2008||Audrey Valerie Ng||Labuan|
|2007||Dorcas Amanda Biyu Cheok||Sarawak|
|2006||Alice Chyou Daiyu Loh||Malacca|
|2005||Chun Jamie Pang||Johor|
|2004||Eloise Eu-meh Law Huan||Kuala Lumpur|
|2003||Jasmine Meixiu Lee||Kedah|
|2002||Katarina Pamela Jammal Ramachandran||Perlis|
|2001||Joey Tan Eng Li||Penang|
Representative to Miss International
The fourth title of local pageant will be crowning as Miss Malaysia International since 2017. The winner represents her country at Miss International. On occasion, when the candidate does not qualify (due to age) for either contest, another girl is sent.
|Year||Miss Malaysia||Hometown||Placement||Special Awards|
|2017||Annie Wong Wei Wei||Sarawak||TBA||TBA|
|2016||Olivia Constance Nicholas||Perak|
|2014||Jayarubini Sambanthan Muthaliyar||Selangor|
|2013||Charissa Chong Su Huey||Malacca|
|2012||Olivia Teng Mei Xian||Perak|
|2011||Celine Phong Sze Ling||Perak|
|2010||Chantalle Chuah Shee Peng||Selangor|
|2009||Tay Tze Meiying Juan||Selangor|
|2008||Tham Huan Zi Wei||Labuan|
|2007||Yennie Lim Nee||Penang|
|2006||Iris Hng Choy Yin||Penang|
|2005||Winnie Chan Wai Ling||Negeri Sembilan|
|2004||Ching Hwei-ru Lim Lee||Kuala Lumpur|
|2003||Ester Lìxúe Jiaying Tan||Kedah|
|2002||Krystal Pang Chia Boon||Perlis|
|2001||Felina Cheah Teck Yoong||Penang|
|2000||Aida Stannis Kazum||Sarawak|
|1999||Andrea Franklin Gomez||Sarawak|
|1998||Yusinta Langdon Samuel||Sabah|
|1997||Jeanette Ooi Phaik Kween||Sarawak|
|1996||Sarimah Rita Omar||Perlis|
|1995||Kartina Yvonne Bowes Dana||Kuala Lumpur|
|1994||Siti Rosita Abdul Wahab||Penang|
|1993||Zahra Lily Iskandar Hashim||Kedah|
|1992||Vinna Chang Poh Hwa||Pahang|
|1991||Aida Waheeda Mohd Adam||Perlis|
|1990||Nur Tiara Ibrahim Nordin||Labuan|
|1989||Rosalinda Anita Halili Aziz||Sarawak|
|1988||Azra Hannah Thomas Tuo||Selangor|
|1987||Marianna Lynn Abdullah||Terengganu|
|1986||Latonia Chang Pei Pei||Kedah|
|1985||Sri Ratnah Sharifah Hassan||Sarawak|
|1984||Jennifer Foong Sim Yong||Malacca||Miss Friendship|
|1983||Helen Ann Elizabeth Peters||Sarawak|
|1982||Karen Seet Yeng Chan||Terengganu|
|1981||Gurmit Jasleen Charanjeet Kaur||Pahang|
|1980||Christina Hùifang Joseph Leong||Johor|
|1979||Nancie Juan Lanfen Foo||Kuala Lumpur||Withdrew|
|1978||Farida Husna Abdul Samad||Sarawak|
|1977||Dorothea Chuah Poh Koi||Pahang|
|1976||Siti Fauziah Binti Haron||Penang|
|1975||Jenny Annabelle Tan||Kedah|
|1974||Amy Theresa Sibert||Sarawak|
|1973||Nancy Thong Seow Moi||Selangor|
|1972||Francesca Lee Mei Fung||Penang|
|1971||Catherine Aileen White||Kuala Lumpur|
|1970||Lucy Lorraine Lim Lee||Pahang|
|1969||Pauline Chai Siew Phin||Labuan|
|1968||Maznah Bte Mohammed Ali||Selangor|
|1967||Marjorie Ailyn Rongsank||Sarawak|
|1965||Linda Lim Hong Eng||Perlis||Top 15|
|1964||Sofia Binte Mahadi Salleh||Pahang|
|1963||Jasmine Mariam Idris||Sarawak|
|1962||Brenda Maureen Alvisse||Perak|
|1961||Helen Nichole Tan Hong Lean||Selangor||Top 15|
|1960||Tunku Zanariah Zena Ahmad||Kuala Lumpur|
Notes: From 1963 until 1983, the second runner-up of Miss Malaysia pageant will competing in Miss International. In 1984, Jennifer was appointed from Miss Malaysia Universe 1983. Malaysia did not present in the 90s due to lack of sponsorship to sent the delegates until in 1999, a new organisation took the license for the Miss International pageant. It called Miss Global International Malaysia.
Miss Malaysia Number by Win
|Rank||State||Miss Universe Malaysia||Miss World Malaysia||Miss Earth Malaysia||Miss International Malaysia||Total|
|1||Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur||13||15||2||5||35|
|2||Sarawak Land of the Hornbills||7||9||2||13||31|
|3||Selangor Abode of Sincerity||6||7||5||18|
|4||Sabah Land Below the Wind||3||3||3||2||12|
|Penang The Pearl Island||4||3||1||4||12|
|5||Pahang Abode of Tranquility||4||1||1||5||11|
|6||Johor Abode of Dignity||4||4||2||10|
|7||Malacca The Historic State||1||1||4||3||9|
|8||Kedah Abode of Peace||1||2||1||4||8|
|9||Perlis Land of Dreams||2||0||1||4||7|
|10||Federal Territory of Labuan||1||1||3||5|
|Negeri Sembilan The Special Abode||2||1||1||1||5|
|11||Terengganu Abode of Faith||1||2||3|
|12||Kelantan The Blissful Abode||1||1|
|Federal Territory of Putrajaya||1||1|
Fatwa ruling in Malaysia
In Malaysia, female Muslims were denied participation in beauty pageants following the issue of a fatwa in 1996 by the Mufti of Selangor. The issue came to a nasty twist in July - September 1997 when four Malay participants joined the Miss Malaysian petite contest, only to be arrested by the authorities. In the ensuing public outcry and debate that followed, the effectiveness of the fatwa was shown given the influence of the Selangor's Mufti over the nation's sharia law. The fatwa resonated with the ideology that Muslim women should cover up private parts of their body, or Aurat of which the beauty pageants' practices ran contrary to - even though such religious enactments also apply to male pageants.
In Kuala Lumpur on 21 July 2013, the organisers of Miss Malaysia World 2013 were forced to drop four of its Muslim finalists following a fatwa prohibiting Muslim women from joining beauty pageants. According to Wan Zahidi, the fatwa prohibiting Muslim women from joining beauty pageants was issued and gazetted under the Federal Territories Islamic Administration Act in February 1996.
In recent years, the National Fatwa Council, the country’s highest Islamic body, had also issued rulings forbidding Muslims from using Botox and banned women from exhibiting tomboy behaviour, which it defined as behaving or dressing like men or taking part in lesbian sex.
The council came under heavy scrutiny for its proposal to ban yoga after a university lecturer advised people to stop practising it for fear that it could deviate from the teachings of Islam. The move was met with protests from progressive Muslim women’s groups like Sisters In Islam who deemed the fatwas regressive while observers claimed it highlighted the worrying trend of overt Islamisation in Malaysia.
The four contestants are:
- Wafa Johanna de Korte, 19, Kuala Lumpur
- Sara Amellia Bernard, 20, Perak
- Miera Sheikh, 19, Malacca
- Kathrina Binti Ridzuan, 24, Kuala Lumpur
Nevertheless, a public outcry ensued, as members of the public questioned the way the religious authorities handled the matter as well as the abrupt ruling which came about - Muslim women in the past had participated in beauty pageants without much protest amongst the religious authorities. This invoked the concerns of Mahathir's who had raised objections to the way the religious authorities had implemented and enforced the law - and questions including distinctions on religious laws and personal freedom were raised. Nevertheless, the fatwa ruling has since been very effective; Muslim women have since then been deterred from joining any beauty pageants. Malaysian beauty pageants, in compliance with the law, similarly denied Muslim individuals from participating. However, Muslim women may still join smaller scale beauty pageant contests such as Dewi Remaja, Miss Intercontinental, and Miss Tourism, provided that they don't display publicly wearing swimsuits.
- Jun, Kwanwoo (3 December 2003). "Lost in Storm's Debris: A Beauty Pageant". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Kenya, News (15 July 2011). "Beauty with scandals". Standard Digital News. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Vietnam, News (8 October 2008). "Những scandal của Miss World". Vietnam Express. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Ibrahim, Lynda (13 September 2013). "The misses and missuses of the world". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Lowe, Aya (25 January 2016). "Philippines' Miss Universe returns home, ignites dreams". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Samantha Katie crowned as Miss Universe Malaysia 2017". www.angelopedia.com. Angelopedia. 23 February 2017.
- Cheong, Bervin. "Kiran named Miss Universe Malaysia 2016 - Nation | The Star Online". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- Khoo, Jean (20 April 2015). "Does Vanessa Kumares Deserve The Title Of Miss Universe Malaysia 2015?". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Miss Malaysia 'overwhelmed' by Pinoys' love after kiss of support for Pia Wurtzbach". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Seremban lass Vanessa Tevi Kumares crowned Miss Universe Malaysia 2015". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Miss Universe Malaysia 2014". 20 December 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- admin (21 October 2013). "Meet Miss Universe Malaysia 2013 Carey Ng - Missosology". Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "(GAMBAR) Pemenang Miss Universe Malaysia 2012: Kimberley Ann Estrop-Leggett". billyinfo.blogspot.my. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Deborah Priya Henry is Miss Universe Malaysia 2011". 27 January 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Miss Universe 2011: Is the Contest Racist?". 12 September 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Girl told ‘not beautiful’ crowned Miss Malaysia World 2016". 29 August 2016. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- "Miss Malaysia World stripped of title - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Miss World 2015 Talent Champion is… Guyana!. http://www.missworld.com/news/Miss-World-2015-Talent-Champion-isGuyana/
- TGPC (14 December 2015). Miss World 2015 Talent Results Announced!. http://thegreatpageantcommunity.com/2015/12/14/miss-world-2015-talent/
- OfficialMissWorld (6 January 2015). Miss World 2014 - Full Show HD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7GvbOtk2U
- Ten, Marylin (16 December 2014). "A first for Malaysia – Dewi is Miss Talent at Miss World finals". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Miss World Top Model Archived 29 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Global Beauties: 12/07 – Barbados wins Talent Fast Track Archived 15 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Global Beauties: 12/03 – Russia wins Top Model Fast Track Archived 17 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- mvintheworld (1 December 2007). Miss World 2007 Semifinalists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rB7qsz2fo
- TGPC (26 July 2015). The Great Pageant Community. http://thegreatpageantcommunity.com/2015/07/26/deborah-priya-henry-the-unsung-heroine/
- msaudreyc (16 July 2012). "Miss Earth Malaysia 2012- The final results". MsAudreyC. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Arskal Salim, Azyumardi Azra (2003). Shari'a and Politics in Modern Indonesia. Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. p. 178. ISBN 981-230-187-9.
- Ariel Heryanto, Sumit Kumar Mandal (2003). Challenging Authoritarianism in Southeast Asia: Comparing Indonesia and Malaysia. Routledge. p. 143. ISBN 0-415-30941-7.
- "Miss Malaysia World Muslim finalists dropped after beauty pageant fatwa". 21 July 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- "The girls behind the Miss Malaysia World controversy - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Norani Othman. "Islam and the State in Malaysia: A Problem of Democratization and Pluralism" (PDF). Institut Kajian Malaysia dan Antarabangsa, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.
- Zainah Anwar (16 September 1997). "Modern, and Moderate, Islam". Newsweek.
- "Family sees yet another beauty queen; Muslim hopeful pulls out". Daily Express, Sabah. 18 July 2006.
- "Better prizes offered in Miss Sabah pageant". The Star. 13 March 2007.