2003 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 2003 in the Republic of India.
- 26 January – The president of Iran, Mohammad Khatami, is the guest at the Republic Day celebration.
- 5–9 February – Aero-India show is held in Bangalore.
- March – India put up a great show at the ICC Cricket World Cup in South Africa after poor performances in the past and go on to the Finals. They were defeated by Australia in the Finals.
- 18 April – Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, at his first rally in Srinagar, makes a historic announcement of a peace initiative with Pakistan.
- 2 May – A Muslim mob in Kerala commits the Marad massacre of 8 Hindu fishermen
- 31 May – Prime Minister Vajpayee has the rare honour of joining the head table at the 300th foundation day of St. Petersburg with Vladimir Putin and George W. Bush.
- 22 June – Vajpayee is in China. India concedes that Tibet is an integral part of China. China agrees to recognise Sikkim's accession to India.
- 14 July – India refuses to send troops to Iraq.
- 25 August – 52 killed in two bomb blasts in Mumbai.
- 24 September – United States President George W. Bush invites Vajpayee to lunch in New York City during Vajpayee's US trip. It is considered an important meeting for Indo-US relations. Several deals are struck on civilian nuclear technology, space, hi-tech trade and missile defence.
- 6 October – Vajpayee visits Bali for the second time in 2 years.
- 22 October – India announces confidence-building measures with respect to Indo-Pakistani relations: more buses, flights, higher mission strength, etc.
- 15 November – Vajpayee visits Syria.
Full date unknown
- Keshav, musician
- 8 January – Mahadeva Subramania Mani, entomologist (born 1908).
- 14 July – Leela Chitnis, actress (born 1909).
- 27 July – Henning Holck-Larsen, engenner, co-founder of Larsen & Toubro (born 1907).
- 25 October – Pandurang Shastri Athavale, philosopher, spiritual leader, social reformer, who founded the Swadhyay Movement (born 1920).
- 3 November – Narendra Prasad, actor, playwright, teacher and literary critic (born 1946).
- 9 November – Binod Bihari Verma, writer (born 1937).
- 21 December – G. V. Iyer, film director (born 1917).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2003 in India.|