2007 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 2007 in the Republic of India.
- President of India: A. P. J. Abdul Kalam to 25 July Pratibha Patil
- Prime Minister of India: Dr. Manmohan Singh
- January–November – Nandigram violence – Clashes between opposition parties, the governing Communist Party of India (Marxist) and police in Nandigram, West Bengal. On 14 March, 14 villagers were killed in police firing.
- 10 January – India launches four satellites at a time with their PSLV -C7 rocket, including the SRE-1 test article, which will return to Earth in a test for a future Indian manned spaceflight program.
- 17 January – Protests occur in India and the United Kingdom against the British series of Celebrity Big Brother after Jade Goody, Danielle Lloyd and Jo O'Meara were alleged to have been racially abusive towards Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.
- 22 January – Indian spacecraft SRE 1 successfully completes a twelve-day orbital test flight, making India one of the few nations to return a craft from orbit.
- 24 January – India and Russia agree to jointly develop fifth-generation stealth fighter jets.
- 18 February – 2007 Samjhauta Express bombings: Islamist militants from the Lashkar-e-Taiba organization set off a bomb on the Samjhauta Express, a twice-weekly train service connecting Delhi, India, and Lahore, Pakistan. Bombs were set off in two carriages, both filled with passengers, just after the train passed Diwana station near the Indian city of Panipat, 80 kilometres (50 mi) north of New Delhi. 68 people were killed in the ensuing fire and dozens more were injured.
- 20 February – A river boat carrying children on a school trip on the Periyar River in southern India capsizes, killing at least 18 students and four teachers.
- 4 March – Sunil Kumar Mahato, an Indian member of parliament from the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha, is killed by suspected Maoist rebels while he was attending a local football match in Jharkhand organised to mark the Hindu festival of Holi.
- 15 March – Naxalite rebels attack a police outpost in the Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, India, killing at least 49 officers and looting their weapons.
- 16 April – At least 11 people die in southern India as a passenger train runs into a minibus carrying local officials near the village of Thirumatpur in Tamil Nadu.
- 18 May – 18 May 2007 Hyderabad Bombing: 9 people are killed in a bomb blast at the Mecca Masjid mosque in the Indian city of Hyderabad, India. 
- 19 July – Prathiba Patilis elected as the first female President of India.
- 25 August – Forty-four people are dead after two bombs explode in Hyderabad.
- August – India and the United States release the text of 123 agreement. This has been very controversial in the Indian political environment with both Left and NDA opposing the UPA over the issue.
- 11 November – Miss India-Earth Pooja Chitgopekar won in Miss Earth 2007 beauty pageant as Miss Earth-Air (1st-runner up) held in Manila, Philippines.
- 21 November – Calcutta – Protests over Bangladeshi feminist writer Taslima Nasreen turn into deadly riots; troops are deployed.
- 22 December – Narendra Modi led government in Gujarat completes its term.
- 24 December – Kautilya Pandit, prodigy
- 27 January – Kamleshwar, writer, screenwriter, critic and essayist (b. 1932).
- 28 January – O. P. Nayyar, film music director and composer (b. 1926).
- 2 February – Vijay Arora, actor (b. 1946).
- 4 March – Sunil Kumar Mahato, politician, assassinated (b. 1966).
- 5 April – Leela Majumdar, writer (b. 1908).
- 5 April – Poornachandra Tejaswi, writer and novelist (b. 1938).
- 13 April – Dhulipala Seetharama Sastry, actor (b. 1921).
- 27 May – Ibrahim Saeed, journalist, editor and scholar (b. 1945).
- 27 May – G. Srinivasan, film producer (b. 1958).
- 13 June – Ramchandra Gandhi, philosopher, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi (b. 1937).
- 15 June – Dr. Mohamad Abdul Tayyab, agricultural scientist (b. 1932).
- 2 July – Dilip Sardesai, cricketer (b. 1940).
- 8 July – Chandra Shekhar, politician, 11th Prime Minister of India (b. 1927).
- 21 August – Qurratulain Hyder, novelist and short story writer, academic and journalist (b. 1926).
- 10 October – S. R. Bommai, politician and Chief Minister of Karnataka (b. 1924).
- 11 October – Sri Chinmoy, spiritual teacher and philosopher (b. 1931).
- 27 October – Satyen Kappu, actor (b. 1931).
- 21 December – Teji Bachchan, wife of poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan and mother of actor, Amitabh Bachchan.
- 25 December – G. P. Sippy, film producer and director (b. 1914).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2007 in India.|