1990 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1990 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – R. Venkataraman
- Prime Minister of India – V. P. Singh until 10 November, Chandra Shekhar Singh
- January – An insurgency breaks out in Kashmir Valley, inflaming tensions with Pakistan. New Delhi dissolves the state assembly and imposes direct rule.
- March – The last Indian troops are withdrawn from Sri Lanka.
- 15 April – Food poisoning kills 450 guests at an engagement party in Uttar Pradesh.
- 15 May – Agriculture and Rural Debt Relief Scheme providing debt relief up to ₹10,000 to small borrowers from Public Sector Banks and Regional Rural Banks announced.
- 4–10 May – Andhra Pradesh cyclone ravages southern India, killing nearly 1,000 people.
- V P Singh announces implementation of Mandal commission report.
- November – V.P. Singh rVenkitaramanan Governor.esigns as prime minister and is succeeded by Janata Dal dissident Chandra Shekhar.
- 22 December – Venkitaramanan becomes Governor of RBI
- 1 January – Ali Murtaza, cricketer.
- 13 September – Dr.Purva Mansabdar- A maxillofacial surgeon from Hyderabad, India.
- 14 January – Mani Madhava Chakyar, master Chakyar Koothu and Koodiyattam artist (b. 1899).
- 19 January – Rajneesh, aka OSHO mystic, guru and spiritual leader (b. 11 December 1931)
- 29 March – Adoor Bhasi, actor, writer, journalist, singer and film producer (b. 1927).
- 2 June – Shriram Sharma Acharya, seer, sage and Founder of the All World Gayatri Pariwar (b. 1911).
- 21 October – Prabhat Ranjan Sarkar, philosopher, author, social revolutionary, poet, composer and linguist (b. 1921).
- 30 September – Shankar Nag, actor and director (b. 1954).
- 30 October – Vinod Mehra, actor (b. 1945).
- 25 December – Chandrakant T. Patel, cotton scientist (b. 1917).