Rice and gravy
|Place of origin||United States|
|Region or state||Louisiana|
|Main ingredients||Meats, brown gravy, rice|
|Cookbook: Rice and gravy Media: Rice and gravy|
Rice and gravy is a staple of Louisiana Creole and Cajun cuisine and is usually a brown gravy based on pan drippings, which are deglazed and simmered with extra seasonings and served over steamed or boiled rice.
Rice has been a major agricultural export crop in southwest Louisiana since the late 1800s and has become a staple of local cuisine in dishes such as boudin, gumbo and étouffée. Rice and gravy is traditionally made from cheaper cuts of meat and cooked in a cast iron pot for a long time in order to let the tough cuts of meat become tender. Beef, pork, chicken or any other meat can be used in its preparation. Fattier cuts of beef and pork, as well as chicken, squirrel, rabbit, turkey necks, wild pig, and duck lend themselves more easily to the making of the gravy, while venison and leaner cuts of beef and pork are more difficult to make tender, but can be helped by adding andouille sausage or cured pork tasso to the dish during the browning or smothering process. Often the meat is cooked with the Cajun holy trinity, a mirepoix variant of onions, bell peppers, and celery in roughly equal quantities, although other vegetables can also be used.
Originally a dish favored by farmers and laborers, it is now often served in local plate lunch houses. Raised on Rice and Gravy, a 2009 documentary film by Conni Castille and Allison Bohl, chronicles the prevalence of the dish at local plate lunch houses and its enduring popularity in Acadiana cuisine. Abbeville native Bobby Charles' Rice 'N' Gravy Records is named for the popular dish. Acadian Village in Lafayette is home to the annual "Rice and Gravy Cook-Off" sponsored by the Louisiana Beef Council.
- "Eat". Lafayettetravel.com. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Reed, David W. "Smothered Meat With Rice and Gravy". Texas A&M University. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Smothered seven steaks". WAFB. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Foreman, Mary. "Smothered Pork Roast with Rice". Deep Dish South. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Rice and Gravy". Realcajunrecipes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Smothered squirrel in pan gravy". Louisiana Public Broadcasting. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Smothered rabbit with mushrooms". Louisiana Public Broadcasting. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Smothered Turkey Necks in Onion Gravy". Chef John Folse & Company. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Hoffpauir, Stephanie (2008-01-02). "Acadiana Living: The magnificence of rice and gravy". The Daily Advertiser. Gannett Company. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Raised on Rice and Gravy". The Independent. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Tutwiler, Mary. "Cinematic Arts Workshop plates up rice and gravy film". The Independent. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Johnson, Karen (2008-09-01). "Bobby Charles Releases Long Awaited CD: "Homemade Songs"". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "U.S. Rice Promoted at Rice and Gravy Festival" (PDF). USA Rice Federation. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-02-07. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Rice and Gravy Cook-Off". Letspolka.com. Archived from the original on 2012-01-26. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rice and gravy.|