National anthem of Abkhazia
|Adopted||24 October 2007|
The lyrics were written after Abkhazia's proclamation of independence in 1992. They used as inspiration the Abkhazian revolutionary song "Kiaraz" (Abkhaz: «Кьараз») that originated during the short-lived Democratic Republic of Georgia (1918-1921).
In 1994, after the war for independence with Georgia, Valery Chkadua composed the anthem at the personal request of the first Abkhazian President Vladislav Ardzinba. Chkadua, who studied under Sergei Prokofiev and Dmitry Shostakovich, included various folk motives in the anthem. Chkadua, who refused royalties for the work, had written the anthem in the winter in a freezing, unheated house, but received housing as a thank you from the president.
After his election as second president of Abkhazia, Sergei Bagapsh issued a decree "On the State Anthem of the Republic of Abkhazia" that formally adopted "Aiaaira" as the national anthem on 24 October 2007.
|Abkhaz lyrics||Latin transliteration (ISO 9)||English translation|
March on, march on,
- Abkhazia's status is disputed. It considers itself to be an independent state, but this is recognised by only a few other countries. The Georgian government and most of the world's other states consider Abkhazia de jure a part of Georgia's territory. In Georgia's official subdivision it is an autonomous republic, whose government sits in exile in Tbilisi.
- "National Anthem Downloads, Lyrics, & Information: NationalAnthems.us - Republic of Abkhazia". NationalAnthems.us. 2009-03-19. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "Гимн" (in Russian). Abkhazian Embassy in Russia. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Kubatian, Grigory (14 January 2013). "Discovering a home of eccentrics". Russia Beyond the Headlines. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "State Symbols". Ministry of Foreign Affairs Republic of Abkhazia. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- National Anthem of Abkhazia - The website "Abkhazia, Land of the Seven Stars" has a page on the anthem that features both a vocal and an instrumental version.
- Abkhazia anthem and flag on YouTube
|This national, regional or organisational anthem-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Abkhazia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|