A premium station is a category of railway station on Melbourne's railway network, operated by Metro Trains Melbourne. In terms of station standards, a premium station is a high standard station which sits above the medium standard host stations and the low standard unmanned stations. Of the 207 stations in Melbourne's railway network, there are 82 premium stations in addition to the five City Loop stations, and there are 26 host stations, with the balance being unmanned stations.
The premium station program was commenced in 1994 by the Public Transport Corporation, with Mount Waverley being the first station receiving premium status. By the end of 1995 the number of staffed stations increased from 35 to 51. Further stations will be upgraded to premium status in the future.
A premium station has:
- Staff who are available, from the beginning to the end of daily train service, for ticket sales (including concession cards and V/Line tickets), answering of customer queries and general running of the station (including, for example, bookings for bicycle locker hire).
- Passenger amenities including open male, female and disabled toilets, CCTV cameras, bicycle cages, lockers and an enclosed waiting room are available at most premium stations.
Of the 207 stations in Melbourne's railway network, there are 82 premium stations in addition to the five City Loop stations, as follows:
- Box Hill
- Brighton Beach
- Clifton Hill
- East Malvern
- Ferntree Gully
- Glen Waverley
- Mount Waverley
- Narre Warren
- Noble Park
- North Melbourne
- St Albans
- South Morang
- South Yarra
- Surrey Hills
- Upper Ferntree Gully
- Williams Landing
Future premium stations
Twenty-one existing stations will be upgraded from unmanned or host to premium or constructed in the near future to bring the total number of premium stations to one hundred.
- "Metcard - A brief history". www.robx1.net. Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Heritage Society (Victorian Division)). October 1997. p. 310.
- "Mount Waverley". VICSIG. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Metcard - Premium stations". www.robx1.net. Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- "Premium Stations". Public Transport Victoria. Retrieved 20 October 2013.