|Original author(s)||Urchin Software Corporation|
7.200 / January 21, 2012
|Website||Google Urchin (now redirected to Google Analytics)|
Urchin was a web statistics analysis program developed by Urchin Software Corporation. Urchin is used to analyze web server log file content and display the traffic information on that website based upon the log data. Sales of Urchin products ended on March 28, 2012.
Urchin software can be run in two different data collection modes: log file analyzer or hybrid. As a log file analyzer, Urchin processes web server log files in a variety of log file formats. Custom file formats can also be defined. As a hybrid, Urchin combines page tags with log file data to eradicate the limitations of each data collection method in isolation. The result is more accurate web visitor data.
Urchin became one of the more popular solutions for website traffic analysis, particularly with ISPs and web hosting providers. This was largely due to its scalability in performance and pricing model.
Urchin Software Corp. was acquired by Google in April 2005, forming Google Analytics. In April 2008, Google released Urchin 6. In February 2009, Google released Urchin 6.5, integrating AdWords. Urchin 7 was released in September 2010 and included 64-bit support, a new UI, and event tracking, among other features.
- Hosted v software v hybrid web analytics tools blog article
- Increasing Accuracy for Online Business Growth - a web analytics accuracy whitepaper
-  - The unlikely origin story of Google Analytics, 1996–2005-ish
- "SiliconBeat: Google buying web analytics company". www.siliconbeat.com. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Urchin 6 announcement from Google
- Urchin 6.5 announcement from Google
- Urchin 7 announcement from Google
- Urchin 7 Key features
- Muret, Paul (January 20, 2012). "The End of an Era for Urchin Software". Google Analytics. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Muret, Paul. "The End of an Era for Urchin Software". Google Analytics. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Official List of Urchin Software Resellers
- Official Urchin Software website
- What is Urchin? - blog article
- Back up your Google Analytics data locally - blog article
- Differences between Urchin Software and Google Analytics
|This Web-software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|