This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Google Pigeon is the code name given to one of Google's local search algorithm updates. This update was released on July 24, 2014. The update is aimed to increase the ranking of local listing in a search.
The changes will also affect the search results shown in Google Maps along with the regular Google search results. As of now, it has been released in US English and will shortly be released in other languages and locations. This update provides the results based on the user location and the listing available in the local directory.
Effect on search results
The purpose of Pigeon is to provide preference to local search results. This is quite useful for the user and local businesses. On the day of release, it received mixed responses from webmasters. Some complained about the ranking being decreased whereas others reported improvement in the search rankings. As per the webmasters' understanding, this update has location and distance as key parts of the search strategy. The local directory listings are getting preferences in web results.
Integrated deeper into its previous algorithm, Pigeon ties into Google's search capabilities to include hundreds of ranking signals the company uses, including other features such as Knowledge Graph, spelling correction, synonyms and more.
On the fluctuations, Google's take is that they would not detail the changes in the future.
To improve the quality of local searches and provide more relevant results to the user, Google relies on factors such as location and distance. This update alters the local listings in the search results; along with this, the local directory sites are given preference.
- "Pigeon: Search Engine Land's Name For The New Google Local Search Update". 25 July 2014.
- ""Pigeon" Algorithm Update Released Thursday 7/24/14 - Search Influence". 25 July 2014.
- "Google Pigeon Update: Local Results Updated Again".
- Sutisna, Linda (28 August 2014). "Google's Pigeon Algorithm: Pushing Local Search Forward".
- "Google On Pigeon Fluctuations: We Won't Detail All Changes In The Future". 4 August 2014.
-  Search Engine Land Names new Google Local search update.
-  “Pigeon” Algorithm Update Released Thursday 7/24/14.
-  SMX on Pigeon from SEO Land.
-  Google On Pigeon Fluctuations: We Won’t Detail All Changes In The Future
-  Google Pigeon Update: Local Results Updated Again
-  Discussion on Webmaster World about Pigeon Update.
-  Google’s Local Search Engine Algorithm Spreads Its Wings