|Initial release||April 12, 2010|
|Platform||Web application, Chrome app|
Google Drawings is a diagramming software included as part of the free, web-based Google Docs Editors suite offered by Google. The service also includes Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Google Forms, Google Sites, and Google Keep. Google Drawings is available as a web application and as a desktop application on Google's Chrome OS. The app allows users to create and edit flowcharts, organisational charts, website wireframes, mind maps, concept maps, and other types of diagrams online while collaborating with other users in real-time.
It allows importing images from the computer or from the Web as well as inserting shapes, arrows, scribbles and text from predefined templates. Objects can be moved, resized and rotated. The software also allows for basic editing of images, including cropping, applying masks and adding borders. Other features include laying out drawings precisely with alignment guides, snapping to grid, and auto-distribution. Unlike many of the other software in the Google Docs Editors suite, Google Drawings does not have its own dedicated home, as visiting the Google Drawings URL creates a new document.
Drawings can be inserted into other Google documents, spreadsheets, or presentations. They can also be published online as images or downloaded in standard formats such as JPEG, SVG, PNG, or PDF.
Google Drawings was originally introduced on April 12, 2010 as Google Docs Drawings.
On August 1, 2011, Google announced that users would be able to copy and paste graphic elements between different Google Drawings.
On January 9, 2019, Google added embeds of Google Drawings files to Google Docs.
- Levee, Brian (25 March 2014). "Edit images right in Google Slides and Drawings". Google Drive Blog. Archived from the original on 16 December 2014.
- "Creating Diagrams or Concept Maps with Google Docs in Google Drive". Pennsylvania State University Student Resources. Archived from the original on 20 May 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "About Google drawings". Google Inc. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Drawings - Drive Help". Google Inc. Archived from the original on 27 March 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Anthony, Sebastion (18 August 2010). "Google Docs Drawing tool removes any reason to use MS Paint ever again". Archived from the original on 19 October 2014.
- "Introducing Google Docs drawings". Google Docs Blog. 13 April 2010.
- Panzarino, Matthew (2011-08-01). "Google Docs adds copy and paste for drawings and shapes - TNW Google". The Next Web. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Embed Google Drawings in Google Docs". Google Workspace Updates. Retrieved 2021-04-08.