|Operator||India Index Services and Products|
|Exchanges||National Stock Exchange of India|
|Market cap||INR billion (2014)|
|Website||Official home page|
The NIFTY 50 index is National Stock Exchange of India's benchmark stock market index for Indian equity market. Nifty is owned and managed by India Index Services and Products (IISL), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the NSE Strategic Investment Corporation Limited. IISL had a marketing and licensing agreement with Standard & Poor's for co-branding equity indices until 2013.
NIFTY 50 Index has shaped up as a largest single financial product in India, with an ecosystem comprising: exchange traded funds (onshore and offshore), exchange-traded futures and options (at NSE in India and at SGX and CME abroad), other index funds and OTC derivatives (mostly offshore).NIFTY 50 is the world’s most actively traded contract. WFE, IOMA and FIA surveys endorse NSE’s leadership position.
The NIFTY 50 covers 22 sectors of the Indian economy and offers investment managers exposure to the Indian market in one portfolio. During 2008-12, NIFTY 50 50 Index share of NSE market capitalisation fell from 65% to 29% due to the rise of sectoral indices like NIFTY Bank, NIFTY IT, NIFTY Next 50, etc. The NIFTY 50 Index gives 29.70% weightage to financial services, 0.73% weightage to industrial manufacturing and nil weightage to agricultural sector.
The NIFTY 50 index is a free float market capitalisation weighted index. The index was initially calculated on full market capitalisation methodology. From June 26, 2009, the computation was changed to free float methodology. The base period for the CNX Nifty index is November 3, 1995, which marked the completion of one year of operations of National Stock Exchange Equity Market Segment. The base value of the index has been set at 1000, and a base capital of Rs 2.06 trillion. 
Formerly known as the S&P CNX Nifty Index, it was renamed in 2013 with the expiration of agreement between IISL and Standard and Poor’s Financial Service on 31st Jan 2013.
List of 50 companies that form part of NIFTY 50 Index as on 11 March 2016:
|Adani Ports & SEZ Limited||ADANIPORTS||Infrastructure|
|Ambuja Cements Ltd.||AMBUJACEM||Cement|
|Asian Paints Ltd||ASIANPAINT||Manufacturing|
|Axis Bank Ltd.||AXISBANK||Banking & Financial Services|
|Bajaj Auto Ltd.||BAJAJ-AUTO||Automobiles|
|Bank of Baroda||BANKBARODA||Banking & Financial Services|
|Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited||BHEL||Manufacturing|
|Bharat Petroleum Corporation||BPCL||Oil & Gas|
|Bharti Airtel Ltd.||BHARTIARTL||Telecommunications|
|Cairn India Ltd.||CAIRN||Oil & Gas|
|Coal India Ltd.||COALINDIA||Metals & Mining|
|Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd.||DRREDDY||Pharmaceuticals|
|GAIL (India) Ltd.||GAIL||Oil & Gas|
|Grasim Industries Ltd.||GRASIM||Manufacturing|
|HCL Technologies Ltd.||HCLTECH||Information Technology|
|HDFC Bank Ltd.||HDFCBANK||Banking & Financial Services|
|Hero MotoCorp Ltd.||HEROMOTOCO||Automobiles|
|Hindalco Industries Ltd.||HINDALCO||Metals & Mining|
|Hindustan Unilever Ltd.||HINDUNILVR||Consumer Goods|
|Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd.||HDFC||Banking & Financial Services|
|ITC Limited||ITC||Consumer Goods|
|ICICI Bank Ltd.||ICICIBANK||Banking & Financial Services|
|Idea Cellular Ltd.||IDEA||Telecommunications|
|IndusInd Bank Ltd.||INDUSINDBK||Banking & Financial Services|
|Infosys Ltd.||INFY||Information Technology|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd.||KOTAKBANK||Banking & Financial Services|
|Larsen & Toubro Ltd.||LT||Infrastructure|
|Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.||M&M||Automobiles|
|Maruti Suzuki India Ltd.||MARUTI||Automobiles|
|NTPC Limited||NTPC||Electric Utility|
|Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.||ONGC||Oil & Gas|
|PowerGrid Corporation of India Ltd.||POWERGRID||Electric Utility|
|Punjab National Bank||PNB||Banking & Financial Services|
|Reliance Industries Ltd.||RELIANCE||Oil & Gas|
|State Bank of India||SBIN||Banking & Financial Services|
|Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.||SUNPHARMA||Pharmaceuticals|
|Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.||TCS||Information Technology|
|Tata Motors Ltd.||TATAMOTORS||Automobiles|
|Tata Power Co. Ltd.||TATAPOWER||Electric Utility|
|Tata Steel Ltd.||TATASTEEL||Metals & Mining|
|Tech Mahindra Ltd.||TECHM||Information Technology|
|UltraTech Cement Ltd.||ULTRATECH||Cement|
|Vedanta Ltd.||VEDL||Metals & Mining|
|Yes Bank Ltd.||YESBANK||Banking & Financial Services|
|Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd.||ZEEL||Media & Entertainment|
On the following dates, the NIFTY 50 index suffered major single-day falls (of 150 or more points)
- 11 Nov 2016 --- 229.45 Points (driven by US election results & demonetisation move by the government)
- 24 June 2016 --- 181.85 Points (driven by the Brexit referendum)
- 24 Aug 2015 --- 490.95 Points (driven by meltdown in the Chinese stockmarket)
- 16 Aug 2013 --- 234.45 Points(because of rupee depreciation)
- 27 Aug 2013 --- 189.05 Points
- 03 Sep Aug 2013 --- 209.30 Points
- 06 May 2015 - NSE Nifty slipped below the 8,200-level by falling 179.25 points or 2.15 per cent to 8145.55. Besides, overnight losses in the US markets on worries about surging oil prices, poor trade data and growing tensions over the Greek debt crisis weighed on sentiments.
- In 1991, New Delhi kickstarted the economic reforms process owing mainly to the serious balance of payments crisis it was facing.
- 1997 Asian Financial Crisis - Investors deserted emerging Asian shares, including an overheated Hong Kong stock market. Crashes occur in Thailand, Indonesia, South Korea, Philippines, and elsewhere, reaching a climax in the October 27, 1997 mini-crash.
- 21st January 2008 Nifty went down by more than 10% on a single day due to US sub-prime crisis. That was the beginning of a year long bear market
All Time High
- All time high of Nifty was at 9119.20 on March 04, 2015
- NIFTY 50 loses importance to sectoral indices
- Sectoral weightage of CNX Nifty 50 Index
- CNX Nifty Index Methodology
- Bureau/Agencies, Our (2016-06-24). "Sensex, Nifty reel as Brexit spooks world markets". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Global mayhem: Sensex crashes 1624 pts; Nifty breaches 7900". Moneycontrol.com.
- "Sensex crashes 769 points, Nifty 234 points down". IBNLive.
- Our Bureau. "Re, Sensex sink on fears Food Bill will feed deficit". The Hindu Business Line.