|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Municipality Chairman||Sudama Ray|
|• Total||9.06 km2 (3.50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Barrackpore|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Bijpur|
Kanchrapara is a large town and a municipality under Bijpur police station of Barrackpore subdivision. in North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority.
From early historical period, geographically, this area had been full of a swamps, natural riverine lake, low land, water bodies sparse village-settlements surrounded by deep jungle infested with wild animals of all kinds. Barring a few pockets the area was considered unfit for human habitation.
However, around this area there were more than 50 villages more or less prosperous, of which Mallickerbag, Kanchanpalli or Kanchrapara, Bhabanipur, Ghoshpara Chandua & Kampa need special mention.
A great change came about in this area with the laying of 111 miles long Sealdaha Kusthia Broad Gauge Railway Line on 15th Nov. or 29 September 1862 and subsequent establishment of a Locomotive workshop and Rly. Station in 1863 to the northernmost tip of Bizpur Mouza, under Eastern Bengal State Railway. The Railway Locomotive shop was built with an area of 1,32,000 sq. mtr. In 1914 a carriage and wagon shop also came up. Subsequently a planned Railway Township was laid and built to the East & South West of the Workshops with a wide range of infrastructure - roads, drains, bridges, street lights, internal Railway lines, parks, Institutes, Administrative Buildings, Technical School, Hospital, Co-operative shopping stores, Bazaar, play grounds for football, Tennis, golf, theatres attached to each institutes (Hindmarsh, Institute, Bell Institute, Spalding Institute), Officers’ Club etc. soon population began growing up and huts and pucca buildings began to sprout up rapidly, necessitating laying out Municipal infrastructure beyond the Railway area.
The town thus grew up was named Kanchrapara, since the Rly. Station at Bijpur was named after the then village Kanchanpalli or Kanchrapara, prosperous economically and culturally, being the seat of many stalwarts of Baishnab literature and early Bengali literature, as well as famous Vaidyas.
As of 2011 census of India, the total population in the town is 122181, among them 61770 are Males and 60411 are Females. Kanchrapara has an average literacy rate of 90.8%, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy is 94.51%, and female literacy is 87.02%. In Kanchrapara, 8532 heads of the population is under 6 years of age.
Kanchrapara Railway Workshop
Kanchrapara Railway Workshop was established in 1863. The workshop has the distinction of serving the defence department for repairs to aircraft and manufacture of armoured cars and grenade shells during world war II. The second 5-year plan brought about drastic changes with diesel and electric traction. Electrification on the Railway system in the eastern region necessitated major repair and overhaul facilities for Electric Loco, EMU Rolling Stock from early 60’s. Kanchrapara was selected to play the key role in the both these spheres. In 1962 a decision was taken for remodelling Kanchrapara Workshop in order to make it a base workshop for electric locos electrical multiple unit stock of Eastern and South Eastern Railways.
Wooden Furniture Industry and Timber Industry, is the major industry at Kanchrapara.
- Airbase: Kanchrapara Airfield (Closed).
- Railway: Kanchrapara Railway Station. EMU Trains, UP towards Krishnanagar City, Shantipur, Ranaghat, Chakdaha & Kalyani Simanta, DOWN towards Naihati, Barrackpore, Dumdum, Sealdah, Budge Budge, Prinsep Ghat & Majherhat. Lalgola Passenger & MEMU.
- Roads & Highway: Kalyani Expressway, Kabiguru Rabindra Path, Kanchrapara Jaguli Road connects to NH 34. State Busses running across the town consist of route no. 85 to Barrackpore, route no. 22 to Haringhata & route no. 27 to Kalyani.
There are number of well known schools and colleges in Kanchrapara. For higher education, There is a college named Kanchrapara College under University of Kalyani, Kendriya Vidyalaya No.1 Kanchrapara & Kendriya vidyalaya No.2 Kanchrapara are also present in the locality which are under the Ministry of H.R.D , Govt.of India. Other well known educational institutes are Kanchrapara Harnett High School for boys, Kanchrapara Harnett English Medium School(C.B.S.E), Kanchrapara Indian Girls' High School & JIS College of Engineering.
Krishna-Raya Temple, dedicated to Lord Krishna, is a point of attraction. Sri Laxmi Talkies is the most visited Movie Theater around the place. Craig Park at nearby Halisahar is a nice place for hangouts.
Media & communications
- The Times of India
- The Hindu
- Hindustan Times
- The Economic Times
- The Business Line
- The New Indian Express
- Electric media: Akash Bangla, ABC News, BBC, CNN, MTV, 9XM, Star Gold, Star Jalsha, SET Max, ETV Bangla, Kolkata TV, News Time, NDTV 24x7, Zee Café , Zee Bangla, Zee Bangla Cinema, etc.
- http://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/220-kanchrapara.html%7CKanchrapara City Census 2011 data
- District-wise list of statutory towns
- "Base Map of Kolkata Metroploitan area". Kolkata Metroploitan Development Authority. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- A BRIEF HISTORICAL SKETCH OF KANCHRAPARA MUNICIPAL TOWN
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kanchrapara
- 2011 census of India 2011 census of India
- Kanchrapara Workshop
- India 9
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (19 years study )". Groundwater arsenic contamination status of North 24-Parganas district, one of the nine arsenic affected districts of West Bengal-India. SOES. Retrieved 2007-08-24.