|myosin light chain kinase family, member 4|
The Crystal Structure of the Human Myosin Light Chain Kinase Loc340156.
|Locus||Chr. 6 p25.2|
Myosin light chain kinase 4 also known as MYLK4 is an enzyme which in humans is encoded by the MYLK2 gene. MYLK4 is a member of the myosin light-chain kinase family of serine/threonine-specific protein kinases that phosphorylate the regulatory light chain of myosin II.
This protein acts as an enzyme that catalyzes the following reaction: ATP + a protein -> ADP + a phosphoprotein.
MYLK4 is also involved in protein amino acid phosphorylation meaning that it adds a phosphate group onto the molecule.
Not very much is known about the specific functional characteristics of MLYK4, but it has recently been found that the gene may possibly have a role in having at least one driver mutation for cancer. MYLK4 may also be involved in transferase activity, ATP binding, protein serine/threonine kinase activity, and also nucleotide binding. Other names for MYLK4 are CaMLCK like; EG238564; MYLK4; Mylk4; Myosin light chain kinase family, member 4; SgK085; SGK085; Sgk085; Sugen kinase 85; Uncharacterized serine/threonine-protein kinase SgK085. The “Sgk” in the Sgk085 name for MYLK4 stands for to serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible kinases. These are serine/threonine protein kinases (SGKs) whose transcription is kept in check by cell volume, corticoids, and serum.
There are other known myosin light-chain kinase enzymes.
- "RCSB Protein Data Bank - Structure Summary for 2X4F - The Crystal Structure of the Human Myosin Light Chain Kinase Loc340156.".
- Manning G, Whyte DB, Martinez R, Hunter T, Sudarsanam S (December 2002). "The protein kinase complement of the human genome". Science. 298 (5600): 1912–34. doi:10.1126/science.1075762. PMID 12471243.
- Gao Y, Ye LH, Kishi H, Okagaki T, Samizo K, Nakamura A, Kohama K (June 2001). "Myosin light chain kinase as a multifunctional regulatory protein of smooth muscle contraction". IUBMB Life. 51 (6): 337–44. doi:10.1080/152165401753366087. PMID 11758800.
- "MYLK4 - Protein (Function), MYLK4 - Protein (Function)".
- "SGC | Human Myosin Light Chain Kinase Family Member 4 (LOC340156) PDB Code: 2X4F".
- "MYLK4 Gene - GeneCards | MYLK4 Protein | MYLK4 Antibody".
- "Sgk085 : Protein Overview : UCSD Molecule Pages".
- "Oxford Reference Online".
|This article on a gene on human chromosome 6 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|