|Time zone||Indian Standard Time (UTC+5.30)|
Kunal is a pre-harappan settlement located in Fatehabad district, Haryana, India. This Indus Valley Civilisation site was a village, in comparison to towns like Kalibangan and cities like Rakhigarhi of IVC. This site is located on Sarasvati plain.
This small settlement (1 hectare) yielded Hakra ware at entry level. Houses were built on an artificially elevated place.
Discovery of a button seal during 1998-99 excavations by Archaeological Survey of India exhibit this culture's ancestry to the Rehman Dheri examples. This seal contained picture of two deer on one side and geometrical pattern on other side, which is comparable to a specimen from Rehman-Dheri (Baluchistan), datable to c. 4000 BCE.
This site is recognised as earliest Pre-Harappan site.
Designs on pottery included pipal leaves (ficus religiosa) and humped bull which were important motiffs found on Mature Harappan seals. Bone tools, micro blades made of chalcedony,copper fish hooks and arrow heads were also found here. Six steatite seals and one shell seal with geometric patterns were found. These six seals were of square shape, made of grey stone and resembled typical Mature Harappan seals. Also found at this site are copper rods, rings, bangle pieces, terrecotta objects like bangles, balls, animal figurines,net-sinker, toy cart frames,disk and toys, stone balls, shell bangles etc.
Large Hoards of jewellery were found at this location, including two silver pieces called tiaras, gold ornaments, beads of semi precious stones etc. Number of hoards found at this site included silver bangle, copper tools etc.
Excavations on south-west side of mound revealed copper furnaces with smelting material and copper ingots and slags were also found at this site.
- Indus Valley Civilization
- List of Indus Valley Civilization sites
- List of inventions and discoveries of the Indus Valley Civilization
- Hydraulic engineering of the Indus Valley Civilization
- Balu, Haryana
- McIntosh, Jane R. (2008). The Ancient Indus Valley : New Perspectives. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO. pp. 68, 80,82,105,113. ISBN 9781576079072.
- Singh, Upinder (2008). A History of Ancient and Early Medieval India : from the Stone Age to the 12th century. New Delhi: Pearson Education. pp. 109, 145–6. ISBN 9788131711200.
- Archaeological Survey of, India (2004). "Excavations at Kunal,Haryana" (PDF). Indian Archaeology 1998-99 A Review: 11–12. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
|This Haryana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to archaeology in Asia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|