|Original author(s)||Linus Torvalds|
|Developer(s)||Dirk Hohndel, Linus Torvalds, and many others|
|Initial release||September 22, 2011|
4.5.5 / April 9, 2016
|Written in||C, C++, Bourne Shell, Perl|
|Operating system||Linux, OS X, Windows, (POSIX)|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
Until version 3.9.2, Subsurface used GTK+ for its graphical user interface and with version 4.0, Subsurface switched to Qt 4. At the LCA2014, Torvalds and Hohndel explained why they choose to re-write the GUI using Qt.
As Subsurface binary software deployment for Linux users for the various Linux distributions turned out to be problematic, the packaging was changed to a portable, self-contained, distro-agnostic AppImage in 2015.
Supported dive computers
- Quantum X
- Atomics Aquatics
- Cobalt 2
- Voyager 2G
- Cressi / Zeagle / Mares:
- Edy, Giotto
- Nemo, Nemo Excel, Nemo Apneist,...
- Puck, Puck 2, Puck Air, Puck Pro, Nemo Air, Nemo Wide, Nemo Steal, Nemo Titanium,
- Darwin, Darwin Air, M1, M2, Airlab, Matrix
- Icon HD, Icon HD Net Ready, Nemo Wide 2
- Dive Rite
- NiTek Q
- NiTek Trio
- React Pro
- React Pro White
- Oceanic / Aeris / Sherwood/ Hollis / Genesis / Seemann / Tusa (Pelagic)
- VT Pro, VT4.1, VT4, VT3, Veo 1.0, Veo 1.80, Veo 2.0, Veo 200, Veo 250, Veo 3.0, Versa Pro, Pro Plus 2, Wisdom, Atmos 2, Atmos AI, Atmos AI2, Atmos Elite
- A300, A300 AI, XR1 NX, XR-2
- Veo 250, XP5, Veo 180Nx, React Pro, React Pro White, DG02
- Atom 1.0, Atom 2.0, Atom 3.0, Atom 3.1, VT3, Datamask, Geo, Geo 2.0, Veo 2.0, Veo 3.0, Pro Plus 2.1, Pro Plus 3
- OC1, OCS, OCi
- Compumask, Elite T3, Epic, Manta, F10, IQ-900 (Zen), IQ-950 (Zen Air), IQ-750 (Element II),...
- Amphos, Insight, Insight 2, Wisdom, Wisdom 2, Wisdom 3
- OSTC, OSTC Mk2, OSTC 2C, OSTC 2N, OSTC3
- Sensus Pro
- Sensus Ultra
- XTender 5
- Shearwater Research
- Predator, Petrel
- Eon, Solution Alpha and Solution Nitrox/Vario
- Vyper, Cobra, Vytec, Vytec DS, D3, Spyder, Gekko, Mosquito, Stinger, Zoop
- Vyper2, Cobra2, Cobra3, Vyper Air and HelO2
- DX, D9, D6, D4, D9tx, D6i and D4i
- Aladin 2G, Aladin 2G, Aladin Air Twin, Aladin Air Z, Aladin Air Z Nitrox, Aladin Air Z O2, Aladin Prime, Aladin Pro, Aladin Pro Ultra, Aladin Sport Plus, Aladin Tec, Aladin Tec 2G, Galileo Luna, Galileo Sol, Galileo Terra, Galileo Trimix, Smart Com, Smart Pro, Smart Tec, Smart Z
- Memo Mouse
- Smart, Galileo (infraread)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Subsurface (software).|
- "Subsurface release announcement". Retrieved 2014-05-12.
- "Announcing Subsurface 4.5.5 | Subsurface".
- "GitHub Subsurface v1.0 commit log". GitHub.com. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Subsurface README file". GitHub.com. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Subsurface 4.0 has been released". 2013-12-15.
- "Gtk to Qt – a strange journey". 2014-01-09.
- "Gtk to Qt – a strange journey Video" (WebM). YouTube. 2014-01-09.
- Linus Torvalds (2014-08-29). "Q&A with Linus Torvalds" (video). DebConf 2014 Portland. debian.net. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
6:31 I have seen this first hand with the other project I'm involved with, which is my dive log app. We make binaries for Windows and OSX, we basically don't make binaries for Linux. Why? Because making binaries for Linux desktop applications is a major fucking pain in the ass.
- This is just very cool. by Linus Torvalds on Google+ Dirk Hohndel: "I, as the app maintainer, don't want my app bundled in a distribution anymore. Way to much pain for absolutely zero gain. Whenever I get a bug report my first question is "oh, which version of which distribution? which version of which library? What set of insane patches were applied to those libraries?". No, Windows and Mac get this right. I control the libraries my app runs against. [...] With an AppImage I can give them just that. Something that runs on their computer."" (2015-11-25)
- This is just very cool. by Linus Torvalds on Google+ "I finally got around to play with the "AppImage" version of +Subsurface, and it really does seem to "just work"." (2015-11-25)
- "Supported Dive Computers | Subsurface".