Aransas County, Texas
|Aransas County, Texas|
The Aransas County Courthouse
Location in the state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Rio Nuestra Senora de Aranzazu|
|• Total||528 sq mi (1,368 km2)|
|• Land||252 sq mi (653 km2)|
|• Water||276 sq mi (715 km2), 52%|
|• Density||92/sq mi (36/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Aransas County (// ə-RAN-ziss) is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 23,158. Its county seat is Rockport. The county was formed in 1871 from Refugio County and organized the following year. It was named for the Rio Nuestra Senora de Aranzazu, a Spanish outpost in early Texas.
Aransas County was formed in 1871 from portions of Refugio County. It was named after Rio Nuestra Senora de Aranzazu, a Spanish outpost in early Texas.
- Calhoun County (northeast)
- Gulf of Mexico (southeast)
- Nueces County (south)
- San Patricio County (west)
- Refugio County (northwest)
National protected area
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,497 people, 9,132 households, and 6,401 families residing in the county. The population density was 89 people per square mile (34/km²). There were 12,848 housing units at an average density of 51 per square mile (20/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 87.44% White, 1.43% Black or African American, 0.58% Native American, 2.77% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 5.33% from other races, and 2.39% from two or more races. 20.32% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 9,132 households out of which 27.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.00% were married couples living together, 9.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.90% were non-families. 25.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.80% under the age of 18, 6.20% from 18 to 24, 23.20% from 25 to 44, 27.10% from 45 to 64, and 19.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 98.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,702, and the median income for a family was $34,915. Males had a median income of $31,597 versus $20,289 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,560. About 15.50% of families and 19.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.00% of those under age 18 and 10.20% of those age 65 or over.
Aransas County Airport is located in Fulton, north of Rockport.
- List of museums in the Texas Gulf Coast
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Aransas County, Texas
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Texas: Individual County Chronologies". Texas Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. The Newberry Library. 2008. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "Texas Almanac: Population History of Counties from 1850–2010" (PDF). Texas Almanac. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Aransas County government
- Aransas County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Aransas County from the Texas Almanac
- Aransas County from the TXGenWeb Project
- Historic Photographs of Aransas County
||Refugio County||Calhoun County|
|San Patricio County|
|Nueces County||Gulf of Mexico|