|हिन्दुस्तान पेट्रोलियम निगम लिमिटेड|
|Traded as||BSE: 500104, NSE: HINDPETRO|
|Industry||Oil and Gas|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|M K Surana (Chairman and MD)|
|Products||Oil, natural gas, petroleum, lubricant, petrochemical|
|Revenue||₹212,300 crore (US$32 billion) (2015)|
|₹4,697 crore (US$700 million) (2015)|
|₹1,488 crore (US$220 million) (2015)|
|Total assets||₹67,550.64 crore (US$10 billion) (2015)|
|Owner||Government of India (51.11%)|
Number of employees
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) (BSE: 500104, NSE: HINDPETRO) is an Indian state-owned oil and natural gas company with its headquarters at Mumbai, Maharashtra. It has about 25% marketing share in India among PSUs and a strong marketing infrastructure. The Government of India owns 51.11% shares in HPCL and others are distributed amongst financial institutes, public and other investors. The company is ranked 367th on the Fortune Global 500 list of the world's biggest corporations as of 2016.
HPCL was incorporated in 1974 after the takeover and merger of wrstwhile Esso Standard and Lube India Limited by the Esso (Acquisition of Undertakings in India) Act 1974. Caltex Oil Refining (India) Ltd. (CORIL) was taken over by the Government of India in 1976 and merged with HPCL in 1978 by the CORIL-HPCL Amalgamation Order, 1978. Kosan Gas Company was merged with HPCL in 1979 by the Kosangas Company Acquisition Act, 1979.
In 2003, following a petition by the Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), the Supreme Court of India restrained the Central government from privatising Hindustan Petroleum and Bharat Petroleum without the approval of Parliament. As counsel for the CPIL, Rajinder Sachar and Prashant Bhushan said that the only way to disinvest in the companies would be to repeal or amend the Acts by which they were nationalised in the 1970s. As a result, the government would need a majority in both houses to push through any privatisation.
HPCL has been steadily growing over the years. The refining capacity increased from 5.5 million metric tonnes (MMT) in 1984/85 to 14.80 million metric tonnes as of March 2013. On the financial front, the net income form sales/operations grew from IN ₹2687 crores in 1984-85 to IN ₹2,06,529 crores in financial year 2012-13. During FY 2013-14, its net profit was IN ₹1740 crores.
HPCL operates two major refineries producing a wide variety of petroleum fuels and specialties, one in Mumbai (West Coast) of 6.5 million metric tonnes per annum (MMTPA) capacity and the other in Visakhapatnam, (East Coast) with a capacity of 8.3 MMTPA. HPCL holds an equity stake of 16.95% in Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited (MRPL), a state-of-the-art refinery at Mangalore with a capacity of 9 MMTPA. Another refinery of 9 MMTPA (set up in Bathinda, Punjab by HMEL, a joint venture with Mittal Energy Investments Pte. Ltd. HPCL) has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Government of Rajasthan for setting up a refinery near Barmer. It would be operated under a joint venture company (JVC) called HPCL-Rajasthan Refinery Limited.
HPCL also owns and operates the largest lubricant refinery in India producing lube base oils of international standards, with a capacity of 335 TMT. This refinery accounts for over 40% of India's total lube base oil production. Presently HPCL produces over 300+ grades of lubes, specialities and greases.
The marketing network of HPCL consists of 13 zonal offices in major cities and 101 regional offices facilitated by a supply and distribution infrastructure comprising terminals, aviation service facilities, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) bottling plants, lube filling plants, inland relay depots, retail outlets (petrol pumps) and LPG and lube distributorships.
HPCL has state-of-the-art information technology infrastructure to support its core business. The data center is at Hitech city in Hyderabad.
- Petrol is known as motor spirit in the oil iIndustry. HPCL markets the product through its retail pumps all over India. Its principle consumers are personal vehicle owners.
- Diesel is known as high speed diesel in the oil industry. HPCL markets the products through its retail pumps as well as terminals and depots. Its consumers are regular auto owners, transport agencies, industries, etc.
- Lubricants: HPCL is the market leader in lubricants and associated products. It commands over 30% of market share in this sector. The popular brands of HP lubes are Laal Ghoda, HP Milcy, Thanda Raja, Koolgard, Racer4.
- Liquified petroleum gas: The HPCL brand of LPG is a popular brand across India for domestic and industrial uses.
- Aviation turbine fuel: With major air service facilities in all major airports of India, HPCL is a key player in this sector supplying ATF to major airlines. It has an accomplishment of sorts to supply fuel to US.
This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
HPCL has a number of refineries in India. Some are listed below:
- Mumbai Refinery — 6.5 million metric tonnes (MMT) capacity
- Visakhapatnam Refinery — 8.3 MMT at Visakhapatnam
- Mangalore Refinery Pvt. Ltd. — 9.69 MMT at Mangalore, Karnataka (HPCL has a 16.65% stake).
- Guru Gobind Singh Refinery — 9 MMT at Bathinda, Punjab (HPCL and Mittal Energy each have a 49% stake).
- Barmer Refinery — 9 MMT capacity. It is a joint venture with the Rajasthan Government.
- HPCL is a Fortune Global 500 company as per the ranking of 2013 and was ranked at position 259. HPCL has been ranked at position 367 as per the latest ranking of 2016.
- HPCL was featured on the Forbes Global 2000 list for 2013 at position 1217.
- It was the 10th most valuable brand in India according to an annual survey conducted by Brand Finance and The Economic Times in 2010.
Recognition and awards
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- NDTV Profit Business Leadership Award
- Reader’s Digest ‘Trusted Brand Asia Platinum’ Award
- Golden Peacock Corporate Governance Award 2008
- CIO 100 Award 2008
- India Star Award
- OISD Safety Award
- National Award for Excellence in Cost Management
- Greentech Environment Excellence Award 2008
- Best HR Practices in ‘People Management’
- Mumbai refinery — Fuel and lubes
- Vizag refinery — Fuel
- Mangalore — MRPL
- Batinda — HMEL
- Silvassa Lube — State-of-the-art plant for grease and specialities. (One of the most advanced fully automated installations in Asia.)
- Lube & Grease mfg facility — Mazagaon, Mumbai.
- LPG storage Cavern — one of the biggest storage facility of LPG in Asia at Vizag — SALPG
- Pipelines — MBPL, MPSPL, MDPL, VVSPL.
- Several Terminals & depots.
- Many LPG bottling plants.
Major ongoing projects
- New Refinery near Barmer in Rajasthan
- Rewari Kanpur Pipeline
- Mangalore-Bangalore LPG Pipeline (MHMSPL Pipeline)
Prize Petroleum Company Limited
Prize Petroleum Company Limited (Prize) is the wholly owned subsidiary of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL). Prize is focused on the appraisal and development of hydrocarbon accumulations in the onshore and offshore projects by conducting exploration, development and production of petroleum and other activities in accordance with its mission. Prize's operating projects are the Hirapur Marginal oil fields of Cambay basin near Gandhinagar (Gujarat) under a service contract with ONGC; and the pre-NELP production sharing contract (PSC) for the Sanganpur (Mehsana) field with M/s Hydrocarbon Development Company (P) Ltd (HDCPL) as Operator. Recently, Prize signed a sale and purchase agreement to acquire non-operated minority stake in two gas assets in offshore south Australia.
- HPCL Biofuels Limited
- CREDA-HPCL Biofuels Limited
- HPCL Rajasthan Refinery Limited
- "HPCL Annual Report". CNBC TV18.
- "Sustainability report 2013-14" (PDF). 2014. p. 7. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- http://dpe.nic.in/publications/list_of_maharatna_navratna-and_miniratna Navratna
- "Fortune Global 500 list". CNN Money. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Gopal Ganesh (2008). Privatisation And Labour Restructuring. Academic Foundation. p. 136. ISBN 8171886345.
- "Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited Relies on Oracle Database Security Solutions" (PDF). /www.indiaprwire.com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "IBM News room - 2008-09-04 HPCL Partners With IBM to Deploy a Path-Breaking RFID Solution - United States". 03.ibm.com. 2008-09-04. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- http://www.hmel.in HMEL
- "HPCL to set up new Refinery in Barmer Rajasthan". Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Buy HPCL With Target Of Rs 490 | TopNews". Topnews.in. 2010-05-07. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- http://www.hpracer4.com/ Racer4
- http://www.hpaviation.in HP Aviation
- "India's top 10 brands". business.rediff.com. Retrieved 26 Oct 2010.
- "Welcome to Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd".
- "Home - HMEL". Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "SALPG - South Asia LPG Company Pvt Ltd". Retrieved 2 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hindustan Petroleum.|