List of urban local bodies in Andhra Pradesh
The article lists all the urban local bodies, covering municipal corporations, municipalities and nagar panchayats in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. The statistical data is based on 2011 Census of India, conducted by The Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, under Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
The state of Andhra Pradesh has a total of 14 municipal corporations in 13 districts. East Godavari and Chittoor districts has the most number of corporations with two each and all the other districts has only one. GVMC is the largest municipal corporation with greater status covering an area of 540.00 km2 (208.50 sq mi). Out of all the corporations, 11 are district headquarters, except Vijayawada, Tirupati and Rajahmundry.
- Machilipatnam, Srikakulam and Vizianagaram were upgraded as municipal corporations on 9 December 2015, but Vizianagaram and Machilipatmam will remain as municipalities till the expiry of tenure of its present elected council.
The state of Andhra Pradesh has a total of 71 municipalities. The municipalities are classified into 4 selection grade, 7 special grade, 12 first grade, 25 second grade and 23 third grade. Guntur district has the most number of municipalities with 12 and Visakhapatnam district has the least with two. Former municipalities of Anakapalle and Bheemunipatnam of Visakhapatnam district were merged into Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation.
The state of Andhra Pradesh has a total of 21 nagar panchayats. Kurnool, Prakasam districts has the most number of nagar panchayats with four each and Chittoor, Guntur, Visakhapatnam districts has none.
|Anantapur||Madakasira, Pamidi, Puttaparthi,||3|
|East Godavari||Gollaprolu, Mummidivaram, Yeleswaram||3|
|Krishna||Nandigama, Tiruvuru, Vuyyuru||3|
|Prakasam||Addanki, Chimakurthy, Giddalur, Kanigiri||4|
|No. of Municipalities||21|
- "Municipalities, Municipal Corporations & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Municipal Corporation Status for All District HQs in AP". The New Indian Express. Hyderabad. 17 February 2015. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Masula, Srikakulam, Vizianagaram upgraded into corporations". The Hindu. Vijayawada. 10 December 2015. Archived from the original on 9 April 2016. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Correspondent, Special. "Vizianagaram, Masula to continue as municipalities". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Two municipalities merged in GVMC". Visakhapatnam: Deccan Chronicle. 31 July 2013. Archived from the original on 18 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.