|Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise|
|Parent||Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.|
Tata Information Technology (Shanghai) Co., Ltd is a Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise (WFOE) operated by Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. in China. Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) commenced its operations through its wholly owned foreign enterprise in Shanghai in June, 2002. Subsequently, TCS has set up a global development center in Hangzhou and a liaison office in Beijing. In fact, TCS is the first Indian company to set up a development center in China. Tata Consultancy Services in China is the first CMMI & PCMM Level 5 Company in China.
National Development and Reforms Commission selected TCS as the strategic partner to create a large-scale outsourcing base in China. This would be a tripartite Joint Venture between National Software Export Base, TCS, and Microsoft. The joint venture intends to scale-up to 5’000 people in next 6 years and become a role model for Chinese IT Industry. This entity would focus on key markets particularly USA, UK, Europe, and Asia Pacific including Chinese Domestic market. A Memorandum of Understanding was signed towards this in June 2005 in Beijing by Microsoft, NDRC, and TCS.
The first development center will be at Zhongguancun Software Park, Beijing and subsequent development centers will be set up in other software bases in China. TCS has made substantial investments in China which resulted in a solid delivery foundation. TCS in China received a number of accolades from customers, industry, and the government. Some of them include:
- Emerging Supplier Award from GE Energy Services for TCS’ support to their China migration Initiative.
- Ratan N Tata, Chairman, TATA Group, named as Honorary Economic Advisor to government of Hangzhou.
- S Ramadorai, Managing Director & CEO, TCS, named as Honorary Information Technology Advisor to government of Hangzhou and Qingdao.
- Exemplary Award from government of Hangzhou for TCS’ support to prevent and control SARS.
- Westlake Friendship Award from Zhejiang province for TCS’ contribution to economic development of Zhejiang Province.
- Management Innovation Award from Government of Hangzhou for leadership in Quality.
Relationships with Chinese Academia
TCS established strong relationships with a number of local leading universities in china through a wide variety of collaborations. Some of them include:
- Sponsoring professors and students for attending TCS Excellence in Computer Science week held at TCS’ Research and Development arm Tata Research Design and Development Centre (TRDDC).
- Sponsoring two students of Masters in Computer Science for their internship of six months at TRDDC.
- Invited lectures by TCS China associates on latest technologies which are not part of the academic curriculum.
- Offering Internships at TCS China.
- Participating in National and International Conferences organized by Chinese Universities.
- Cooperation with Universities on competency building