UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos
|UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos|
The poster for UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 29, 2019|
UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos (also known as UFC on ESPN 3) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on June 29, 2019 at Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
A welterweight rematch between former UFC Welterweight Champions Tyron Woodley and Robbie Lawler was expected to serve as the event headliner. Woodley won the title in their first encounter via first round knockout in July 2016 at UFC 201. However, it was reported on May 16, 2019 that Woodley suffered a hand injury and was pulled from the fight. As a result, Lawler was removed from the card as well. Subsequently, a heavyweight bout between former UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos and former title challenger Francis Ngannou was scheduled as the event headliner instead. The pairing has been scheduled twice before, first at UFC 215 and then again at UFC 239 but in both instances the fights were scrapped.
A light heavyweight bout between Roman Dolidze and Vinicius Moreira was scheduled to take place at the event. However, an unknown reason saw Dolidze pull out of the fight on May 7 and he was replaced by Eryk Anders.
A featherweight bout between Chas Skelly and Jordan Griffin was originally scheduled for this event. However, on June 13, Skelly pulled out of the fight citing injury. Griffin was then booked to face promotional newcomer Vince Murdock. However, on June 27, Murdock announced he was not medically cleared to compete and the bout was removed from the card.  On September 5, 2019 it was reported that Murdock received a 20 month suspension by USADA, tested positive for [GW501516|GW1516]], better known Cardarine and often sold on the black market as Endurobol on a sample collected on July 6, 2019.
A bantamweight bout between Sergio Pettis and Ricardo Ramos was scheduled to take place at this event. However, on June 15, it was reported that Pettis pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by newcomer Journey Newson.
A light heavyweight bout between Justin Ledet and Dalcha Lungiambula was scheduled to take place at this event. However on June 24, it was announced that Ledet was removed from the card. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Dequan Townsend.
|Main card (ESPN)|
|Heavyweight||Francis Ngannou||def.||Junior dos Santos||TKO (punches)||1||1:11|
|Flyweight||Joseph Benavidez||def.||Jussier Formiga||TKO (head kick and punches)||2||4:47|
|Welterweight||Demian Maia||def.||Anthony Rocco Martin||Decision (majority) (29–28, 29–28, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Vinc Pichel||def.||Roosevelt Roberts||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Drew Dober||def.||Marco Polo Reyes||TKO (punches)||1||1:07|
|Light Heavyweight||Alonzo Menifield||def.||Paul Craig||KO (punches)||1||3:19|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Bantamweight||Ricardo Ramos||def.||Journey Newson||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Eryk Anders||def.||Vinicius Moreira||KO (punches)||1||1:18|
|Lightweight||Jared Gordon||def.||Dan Moret||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Dalcha Lungiambula||def.||Dequan Townsend||TKO (punches and elbows)||3||0:42|
|Women's Strawweight||Amanda Ribas||def.||Emily Whitmire||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||2:10|
|Heavyweight||Maurice Greene||def.||Júnior Albini||TKO (punches)||1||3:38|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: No bonus awarded.
- Performance of the Night: Francis Ngannou, Joseph Benavidez, Alonzo Menifield and Eryk Anders
- Stephie Haynes (2019-06-30). "UFC Minneapolis bonuses: Ngannou smashes dos Santos in POTN win". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- Newswire (2019-03-03). "UFC announces dates for second quarter of 2019". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- Staff (2018-03-04). "UFC announces new May–June events including Rochester, Greenville, Minneapolis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- Brett Okamoto (2019-03-27). "Woodley-Lawler to highlight June 29 Fight Night". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-07-31). "UFC 201 results: Tyron Woodley blasts Robbie Lawler to win welterweight title with KO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Andrew Ravens (2019-05-17). "Tyron Woodley pulls out of UFC Minneapolis headliner". lowkick.com. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- John Morgan (2017-08-18). "Junior Dos Santos notified of potential doping violation, pulled from UFC 215". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- Brett Okamoto (2019-05-21). "Sources: dos Santos-Ngannou moved to June 29". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-05-07). ""Ya Boi" Eryk Anders takes short notice fight against Vinicius Moreira during UFC Minneapolis". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-05-07. (in Dutch)
- Staff (2019-06-11). "UFC on ESPN 3: Chas Skelly says he's injured, out of Jordan Griffin fight in Minneapolis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- Staff (2019-06-18). "Ricardo Ramos, Jordan Griffin get new opponents for UFC on ESPN 3". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Staff (2019-06-27). "Vince Murdock Out of UFC on ESPN 3 fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-06-27.
- "Team Alpha Male's Vince Murdock accepts suspension for prohibited substance". MMA Junkie. 2019-09-05. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- Clyde Aidoo (2019-06-15). "UFC Minneapolis: Sergio Pettis out of Ricardo Ramos bout". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- Staff (2019-06-24). "Justin Ledet out, promotion seeks replacement for Dalcha Lungiambula at UFC on ESPN 3". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-06-24.
- Matt Erickson (2019-06-26). "Newcomer Dequan Townsend in for Ledet, meets Dalcha Lungiambula at UFC on ESPN 3". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-06-26.
- "UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-06-27.