UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos
|UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos|
The poster for UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 29, 2019|
UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos (also known as UFC on ESPN 3) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on June 29, 2019, at Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
A welterweight rematch between the former UFC Welterweight Champions Tyron Woodley and Robbie Lawler was expected to be the event headliner. Woodley won the title in their first encounter via first-round knockout in July 2016 at UFC 201. However, it was reported on May 16, 2019, that Woodley had suffered a hand injury and was pulled out of the fight. As a result, Lawler was removed from the card as well. Subsequently, a heavyweight bout between the former UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos and former title challenger Francis Ngannou was scheduled as the event headliner instead. The pairing had been scheduled twice before, first at UFC 215 and then at UFC 239, but in both instances the fights were scrapped.
A light heavyweight bout between Roman Dolidze and Vinicius Moreira was scheduled to take place at the event. However, an unknown reason saw Dolidze pull out of the fight on May 7 and he was replaced by Eryk Anders.
A featherweight bout between Chas Skelly and Jordan Griffin was originally scheduled for this event. However, on June 13, Skelly pulled out of the fight citing injury. Griffin was then booked to face promotional newcomer Vince Murdock. On June 27, Murdock announced that he was not medically cleared to compete and the bout was removed from the card. On September 5, 2019, it was reported that Murdock had received a 20-month suspension by USADA, having tested positive for GW1516, better known as Cardarine and often sold on the black market as Endurobol, on a sample collected on July 6, 2019. Later in 2019, Murdock revealed that the reason behind withdrawing from the bout was initially high grade stenosis which was later diagnosed as Moyamoya disease.
A bantamweight bout between Sergio Pettis and Ricardo Ramos was scheduled to take place at this event but, on June 15, it was reported that Pettis had pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reasons and had been replaced by newcomer Journey Newson.
A light heavyweight bout between Justin Ledet and Dalcha Lungiambula was scheduled to take place at this event but, on June 24, it was announced that Ledet was removed from the card. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Dequan Townsend.
|Main card (ESPN)|
|Heavyweight||Francis Ngannou||def.||Junior dos Santos||TKO (punches)||1||1:11|
|Flyweight||Joseph Benavidez||def.||Jussier Formiga||TKO (head kick and punches)||2||4:47|
|Welterweight||Demian Maia||def.||Anthony Rocco Martin||Decision (majority) (29–28, 29–28, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Vinc Pichel||def.||Roosevelt Roberts||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Drew Dober||def.||Marco Polo Reyes||KO (punches)||1||1:07|
|Light Heavyweight||Alonzo Menifield||def.||Paul Craig||KO (punches)||1||3:19|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Bantamweight||Ricardo Ramos||def.||Journey Newson||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Eryk Anders||def.||Vinicius Moreira||KO (punches)||1||1:18|
|Lightweight||Jared Gordon||def.||Dan Moret||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Dalcha Lungiambula||def.||Dequan Townsend||TKO (punches and elbows)||3||0:42|
|Women's Strawweight||Amanda Ribas||def.||Emily Whitmire||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||2:10|
|Heavyweight||Maurice Greene||def.||Júnior Albini||TKO (punches)||1||3:38|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: No bonus awarded.
- Performance of the Night: Francis Ngannou, Joseph Benavidez, Alonzo Menifield and Eryk Anders
- Stephie Haynes (June 30, 2019). "UFC Minneapolis bonuses: Ngannou smashes dos Santos in POTN win". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved June 30, 2019.
- "UFC announces dates for second quarter of 2019". MMA Fighting. March 3, 2019. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "UFC announces new May–June events including Rochester, Greenville, Minneapolis". MMA Junkie. March 4, 2018. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- Brett Okamoto (March 27, 2019). "Woodley-Lawler to highlight June 29 Fight Night". ESPN. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- Steven Marrocco (July 31, 2016). "UFC 201 results: Tyron Woodley blasts Robbie Lawler to win welterweight title with KO". MMA Junkie. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- Andrew Ravens (May 17, 2019). "Tyron Woodley pulls out of UFC Minneapolis headliner". LowKick MMA. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- John Morgan (August 18, 2017). "Junior Dos Santos notified of potential doping violation, pulled from UFC 215". MMA Junkie. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Brett Okamoto (May 21, 2019). "Sources: dos Santos-Ngannou moved to June 29". ESPN. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- Marcel Dorff (May 7, 2019). ""Ya Boi" Eryk Anders takes short notice fight against Vinicius Moreira during UFC Minneapolis". MMA DNA. Retrieved May 7, 2019. (in Dutch)
- "UFC on ESPN 3: Chas Skelly says he's injured, out of Jordan Griffin fight in Minneapolis". MMA Junkie. June 11, 2019. Retrieved June 13, 2019.
- "Ricardo Ramos, Jordan Griffin get new opponents for UFC on ESPN 3". MMA Junkie. June 18, 2019. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- "Vince Murdock Out of UFC on ESPN 3 fight". MMA Junkie. June 27, 2019. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- "Team Alpha Male's Vince Murdock accepts suspension for prohibited substance". MMA Junkie. September 5, 2019. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Alexander K. Lee (November 5, 2019). "Vince Murdock dealing with brain condition that forced him out of UFC debut". MMA Fighting.
- Clyde Aidoo (June 15, 2019). "UFC Minneapolis: Sergio Pettis out of Ricardo Ramos bout". MMA News. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "Justin Ledet out, promotion seeks replacement for Dalcha Lungiambula at UFC on ESPN 3". MMA Junkie. June 24, 2019. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- Matt Erickson (June 26, 2019). "Newcomer Dequan Townsend in for Ledet, meets Dalcha Lungiambula at UFC on ESPN 3". MMA Junkie. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- "UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. dos Santos". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved June 27, 2019.