|UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin 2|
The poster for UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 21, 2009|
|Venue||Mandalay Bay Events Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
As with UFC 103 and UFC 104, a portion of the preliminary card aired live and commercial-free during an hour-long block on Spike. Tito Ortiz was originally scheduled to fight Mark Coleman; however, on October 5, 2009, the fight was cancelled as Coleman was suffering from a knee injury. UFC confirmed that Forrest Griffin would step in to face Ortiz.
On October 26, UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar pulled out of his fight against Shane Carwin due to an illness that kept him from training. The UFC therefore had the Ortiz v. Griffin fight headline the UFC 106 card.
Dana White confirmed on November 19 that Karo Parisyan had pulled out of his fight against Dustin Hazelett for undisclosed reasons. Hazelett was paid his full purse including show and win. As a result, the fight between Paulo Thiago and Jacob Volkmann was promoted to the main card. Parisyan was also cut from the promotion following this incident.
|Main card (PPV)|
|Light Heavyweight||Forrest Griffin||def.||Tito Ortiz||Decision (split) (28–29, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Josh Koscheck||def.||Anthony Johnson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||4:47|
|Welterweight||Paulo Thiago||def.||Jacob Volkmann||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||def.||Luiz Cané||TKO (punches)||1||1:56|
|Welterweight||Amir Sadollah||def.||Phil Baroni||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Spike TV)|
|Welterweight||Ben Saunders||def.||Marcus Davis||KO (knees)||1||3:24|
|Middleweight||Kendall Grove||def.||Jake Rosholt||Submission (triangle choke)||1||3:59|
|Welterweight||Brian Foster||def.||Brock Larson||TKO (punches)||2||3:25||[a]|
|Lightweight||Caol Uno||vs.||Fabricio Camoes||Draw (majority) (29–27, 28–28, 28–28)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Lightweight||George Sotiropoulos||def.||Jason Dent||Submission (armbar)||2||4:36|
- Larson had 2 points deducted in round 1 for an illegal upkick & an illegal knee to a downed opponent.
- Camoes had 1 point deducted in round 2 for an illegal upkick.
Fighters were awarded $70,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson
- Knockout of the Night: Antônio Rogério Nogueira
- Submission of the Night: Josh Koscheck
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Forrest Griffin: $250,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus) def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000
- Josh Koscheck: $106,000 ($53,000 win bonus) def. Anthony Johnson: $17,000
- Paulo Thiago: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Jacob Volkmann: $6,000
- Antônio Rogério Nogueira: $100,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Luiz Cane: $19,000
- Amir Sadollah: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. Phil Baroni: $25,000
- Ben Saunders: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Marcus Davis: $27,000
- Kendall Grove: $44,000 ($22,000 win bonus) def. Jake Rosholt: $15,000
- Brian Foster: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Brock Larson: $26,000
- Caol Uno: $20,000 vs. Fabricio Camoes: $10,000 ^
- George Sotiropoulos: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Jason Dent: $8,000
^ Both fighters earned show money; bout declared majority draw.
- ""UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin II" draws reported 10,529 attendees for $3 million gate". mmajunkie.com. 2009-11-24. Archived from the original on 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 106". Ufc.com. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-11-16. Retrieved 2009-11-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Forrest Griffin replaces Mark Coleman, faces Tito Ortiz at "UFC 106: Lesnar vs. Carwin"". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-10-29. Retrieved 2015-07-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "John Howard vs. Dennis Hallman in the works for UFC 106 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- "Kenny Florian-Clay Guida Likely for UFC 106 in November". MMA Fanhouse. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- ""Superman" vs. "Doomsday" shifted to The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale in December". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- "Florian vs. Guida Moved to UFC 107". MMAFrenzy.com. 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-11-05. Retrieved 2009-11-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "UFC 106 fighter bonuses: Koscheck, Johnson and Nogueira earn $70K awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
- "UFC 106 fighter salaries: Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz each earn $250,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 23, 2009.