UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson
|UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||April 27, 2019|
UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson (also known as UFC Fight Night 150 or UFC on ESPN+ 8) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on April 27, 2019 at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida.
The event was expected to take place at the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida. However, the UFC announced on February 23 that the event was moved to the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida, being the second to be held there, after UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall in June 2012. Also, this event was scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN. However, it was announced at the end of the UFC 236 broadcast that this event will instead be on ESPN+.
The promotion was initially targeting a middleweight bout between former interim UFC Middleweight Championship challenger (as well as 2000 Olympic silver medalist and former world champion in freestyle wrestling) Yoel Romero and Paulo Costa to serve as the event headliner. The pairing was previously scheduled to take place at UFC 230 and then again at UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw but was scrapped each time for injuries to both fighters. However, on March 7, the promotion elected to replace Costa and arrange a rematch between Romero and former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Ronaldo Souza to serve as the event headliner. The two met previously in December 2015 at UFC 194 with Romero winning via split decision. It was then reported in early April that Romero pulled out of the bout due to pneumonia. While not officially announced by the promotion, Costa was initially expected to replace Romero. However, Costa indicated that the three week lead time would not be enough for him to adequately prepare, so he declined. Souza ultimately faced Jack Hermansson in the main event.
A light heavyweight bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challenger Glover Teixeira and Ion Cuțelaba was initially scheduled to take place at UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw. However, on January 10, Cuțelaba pulled out of the bout due to injury. The pairing was rescheduled for this event.
A bantamweight bout between John Lineker and Cory Sandhagen was initially scheduled to take place at UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw. However, on January 10, Lineker pulled out of the bout due to a rib injury. The pairing was rescheduled for this event.
A strawweight bout between former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion (also former UFC Women's Strawweight Championship challenger) Jessica Penne and Jodie Esquibel was initially scheduled to take place at UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez. However, Penne pulled out of the bout due a severely sprained ankle while warming up the morning of the event, resulting in the cancellation of the bout. The pairing was rescheduled for this event. Subsequently, on April 18, it was reported that Penne pulled out of the bout and she was replaced by former Invicta FC Strawweight Champion Angela Hill.
A welterweight bout between Alex Oliveira and Li Jingliang was scheduled at this event. However, it was reported on March 23 that Li was injured and was forced to pull out of the bout. He was replaced by Mike Perry.
A strawweight bout between former Invicta FC and UFC Strawweight Champion Carla Esparza and another former Invicta FC Strawweight Champion Lívia Renata Souza was scheduled for the event. However, it was reported that Souza pulled out of the bout citing an ankle injury and she was replaced by current Invicta FC Strawweight Champion Virna Jandiroba.
A lightweight bout between Gilbert Burns and Eric Wisely was scheduled for the event. However, it was reported on April 18 that Wisely pulled out of the bout, citing injury. He was replaced by newcomer Mike Davis.
|Main card (ESPN+)|
|Middleweight||Jack Hermansson||def.||Ronaldo Souza||Decision (unanimous) (49–45, 48–47, 48–47)||5||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Greg Hardy||def.||Dmitry Smolyakov||TKO (punches)||1||2:15|
|Welterweight||Mike Perry||def.||Alex Oliveira||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Glover Teixeira||def.||Ion Cuțelaba||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||3:37|
|Bantamweight||Cory Sandhagen||def.||John Lineker||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Roosevelt Roberts||def.||Thomas Gifford||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (ESPN)|
|Welterweight||Takashi Sato||def.||Ben Saunders||TKO (elbows and punches)||2||1:18|
|Heavyweight||Augusto Sakai||def.||Andrei Arlovski||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Carla Esparza||def.||Virna Jandiroba||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Gilbert Burns||def.||Mike Davis||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||4:15|
|Early Preliminary card (ESPN2)|
|Lightweight||Jim Miller||def.||Jason Gonzalez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:12|
|Women's Strawweight||Angela Hill||def.||Jodie Esquibel||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Dhiego Lima||def.||Court McGee||Decision (split) (30–27, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Mike Perry vs. Alex Oliveira
- Performance of the Night: Glover Teixeira and Jim Miller
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Florida State Boxing Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $1,173,000.
- Jack Hermansson: $82,000 (includes $41,000 win bonus) def. Ronaldo Souza: $210,000
- Greg Hardy: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus) def. Dmitrii Smoliakov: $10,000
- Mike Perry: $110,000 (includes $55,000 win bonus) def. Alex Oliveira: $64,000
- Glover Teixeira: $210,000 (includes $105,000 win bonus) def. Ion Cuțelaba: $22,000
- Cory Sandhagen: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. John Lineker: $49,000
- Roosevelt Roberts: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Thomas Gifford: $10,000
- Takashi Sato: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Ben Saunders: $35,000
- Augusto Sakai: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Andrei Arlovski: $300,000
- Carla Esparza: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus) def. Virna Jandiroba: $12,000
- Gilbert Burns: $88,000 (includes $44,000 win bonus) def. Mike Davis: $10,000
- Jim Miller: $180,000 (includes $90,000 win bonus) def. Jason Gonzalez: $12,000
- Angela Hill: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Jodie Esquibel: $10,000
- Dhiego Lima: $34,000 (includes $17,000 win bonus) def. Court McGee: $48,000
- Staff (2019-04-28). "UFC on ESPN+ 8 draws reported live gate of $1.21 million". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-04-29.
- Dan Hiergesell (2019-02-23). "UFC on ESPN 3 receives venue change". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-02-24.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2019-01-22). "Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa targeted as UFC on ESPN 3 headliner on April 27 in Miami". mmmania.com. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- Jesse Holland (2019-04-16). "UFC demotes 'Jacare vs Hermansson' to ESPN+". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-04-16.
- Brett Okamoto (2019-03-08). "Romero-Souza II to headline UFC Fight Night". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-03-07). "Yoel Romero faces 'Jacare' Souza, not Paulo Costa, in UFC main event on April 27". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-12-12). "UFC 194 results: Yoel Romero decisions Ronaldo Souza in back-and-forth battle". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Stefan Van Erp (2019-04-04). "Yoel Romero felled by pneumonia, fight with Jacare canceled" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Marcelo Russio (2019-04-04). "Romero gets sick and UFC plans Paulo Borrachinha vs. Ronaldo Jacaré in Fort Lauderdale" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Staff (2019-04-05). "Financial set-up is pending for Jacaré to follow in the card; Hermansson can be a rivale" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- Clyde Aidoo (2019-04-06). "Jack Hermansson fills in to face Jacare Souza at UFC Fort Lauderdale". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-04-06.
- Jay Pettry (2019-01-10). "Ion Cutelaba injured, out of bout with Glover Teixeira at UFC Brooklyn". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-01-10.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-02-06). "Attempt two: Glover Teixeira vs. Ion Cutelaba at UFC on ESPN 3 in Miami" (in Dutch). mmadna.com. Retrieved 2019-02-06.
- Jay Pettry (2019-01-10). "John Lineker out of bout with Cory Sandhagen at UFC on ESPN". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-02-13.
- Steven Marrocco (2019-02-13). "John Lineker vs. Cory Sandhagen rescheduled for UFC on ESPN 3 in Miami". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-02-13.
- Ariel Helwani (2019-02-17). "Tonight's Jodie Esquibel vs. Jessica Penne fight has been canceled". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-02-24.
- Stefan Van Erp (2019-02-24). "UFC Fight Night Fort Lauderdale takes shape with four new fights" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-02-24.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-04-18). "Angela Hill replaces training partner Jessica Penne against Jodie Esquibel in Fort Lauderdale" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-03-25). "Li Jingliang moet zich geblesseerd afmelden voor UFC Fort Lauderdale gevecht tegen Cowboy Oliveira" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-03-25.
- Tristen Critchfield (2019-03-27). "Mike Perry Replaces Jingliang Li, Meets Alex Oliveira at UFC on ESPN 3 in Fort Lauderdale". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-04-04). "Invicta FC champ Virna Jandiroba replaces injured Livinha Souza, meets Carla Esparza at UFC Fort Lauderdale". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Raphael Marinho (2019-03-29). "UFC sets Gilbert Durinho vs. Eric Wisely at UFC Fort Lauderdale, April 27" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-04-18). "Short notice UFC debut for Mike Davis against Gilbert Burns during UFC Fort Lauderdale" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "UFC Fight Night: Jacare vs. Hermansson". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-04-23.
- Staff (2019-04-28). "UFC on ESPN+ 8 bonuses: Of course Mike Perry and Alex Oliveira were 'Fight of the Night'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-04-30). "UFC Fort Lauderdale salaries: Greg Hardy cashes $150,000 for first UFC win". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-04-30.