|UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 14, 2012|
|City||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on January 14, 2012 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It was the first UFC event of the year, and was broadcast live on pay-per-view in North America.
UFC 142 featured preliminary fights live on Sportsnet.
Stanislav Nedkov was scheduled to take on Fabio Maldonado at this event, but visa problems forced Nedkov to withdraw from the bout. Newcomer Caio Magalhaes stepped in as a replacement for Nedkov in late December. However, Maldonado was injured less than a week before his fight with Magalhaes and the bout was scratched from the card.
At the UFC 142 weigh ins, Anthony Johnson failed to make the middleweight limit. Johnson came in 11 pounds over the 186 lb weight allowance, was fined 20 percent of his earnings and the bout will be contested at a catchweight of 197 lb. However, Belfort requested that Johnson not weigh more than 205 lb the day of the fight. The UFC mandated that if Johnson could not make the 205 lb limit, the bout would be cancelled. Johnson officially weighed in at 204.2 lb on fight day, and the bout took place as scheduled.
|Featherweight||José Aldo (c)||def.||Chad Mendes||KO (knee)||1||4:59||[a]|
|Catchweight (197 lbs)||Vitor Belfort||def.||Anthony Johnson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:49||[b]|
|Middleweight||Rousimar Palhares||def.||Mike Massenzio||Submission (heel hook)||1||1:03|
|Welterweight||Carlo Prater||def.||Erick Silva||Disqualification (punches and elbows to back of head)||1||0:29||[c]|
|Lightweight||Edson Barboza||def.||Terry Etim||KO (spinning wheel kick)||3||2:02||[d]|
|Preliminary card (FX)|
|Lightweight||Thiago Tavares||def.||Sam Stout||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00||[e]|
|Heavyweight||Gabriel Gonzaga||def.||Ednaldo Oliveira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:22||[f]|
|Featherweight||Yuri Alcantara||def.||Michihiro Omigawa||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Pyle||def.||Ricardo Funch||KO (knee and punches)||1||1:22||[g]|
|Preliminary card (Facebook)|
|Featherweight||Felipe Arantes||def.||Antonio Carvalho||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00||[h]|
- For the UFC Featherweight Championship.
- Johnson weighted in 11 pounds over the Middleweight limit.
- Voted the 2012 Robbery of the Year by Sherdog.com.
- Voted the 2012 Knockout of the Year by Sherdog.com.
- This bout aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Gonzaga vs. Oliveira fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Funch vs. Pyle fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Aldo vs. Mendes fight.
- This bout aired on the FX broadcast following the Gonzaga vs. Oliveira fight.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim
- Submission of the Night: Rousimar Palhares
- Knockout of the Night: Edson Barboza
- "UFC 142 attendance". mmapayout.com. 2014.
- "Pay-per-view : MMAPayout.com: The Business of MMA". MMAPayout.com. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "UFC RIO: Aldo vs. Mendes". UFC.com. November 29, 2011.
- "UFC 142 Loses Thiago, Nedkov, Broughton, and Bahadurzada". mmafrenzy.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Erick Silva Gets New Opponent for UFC Rio 142". mmaweekly.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga returns at UFC 142, meets Ednaldo Oliveira on prelims". mmajunkie.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Ricardo Funch In To Face Mike Pyle at UFC 142". mmaweekly.com. December 17, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "Fabio Maldonado Draws Newcomer for UFC 142". heavy.com. December 20, 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- "Fabio Maldonado injured in training, UFC 142 fight with Caio Magalhaes scratched". mmajunkie.com. January 8, 2012. Retrieved January 8, 2012.
- "UFC 142 weigh-in results: 'Rumble' Johnson 12 pounds heavy, fined 20 percent of purse". MMAJunkie.com. January 13, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Anthony Johnson weighs 204.2 pounds, UFC 142 co-main event is on". MMAJunkie.com. January 14, 2012. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- "Sherdog.com's 2012 Robbery the Year". Sherdog.com. January 5, 2013.
- "Sherdog.com's 2012 Knockout the Year". Sherdog.com. January 4, 2013.
- "UFC 142 bonuses: Barboza, Etim and Palhares earn $65K awards". mmajunkie.com. January 14, 2012.