UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2
|UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 10, 2019|
UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2 (also known as UFC Fight Night 156 or UFC on ESPN+ 14) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on August 10, 2019 at Antel Arena in Montevideo, Uruguay.
The event marked the promotion's first visit to Uruguay.
A UFC Women's Flyweight Championship bout between current champion Valentina Shevchenko and former UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship challenger Liz Carmouche headlined the event. The pairing met previously under a regional promotion banner in 2010 with Carmouche winning the first bout via second-round TKO (doctor stoppage).
A light heavyweight bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challenger Volkan Oezdemir and Ilir Latifi was originally scheduled for June 1 at UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Smith. However, the bout was canceled after Latifi pulled out two days before the event due to a back injury and then rescheduled for UFC on ESPN: Covington vs. Lawler. In turn, the bout was then shifted to this event a week later after Oezdemir was faced with alleged visa issues which affected his travel schedule.
A lightweight bout between Rafael Fiziev and Alex da Silva Coelho was scheduled for the event. However, it was reported on July 24 that Fiziev had broken his foot and was forced to pull out of the event. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Rodrigo Vargas.
A flyweight bout between Veronica Macedo and Rachael Ostovich was scheduled for the event. However, it was announced on July 29 that Ostovich was replaced by Polyana Viana for an undisclosed reason.
A welterweight bout between Laureano Staropoli and Alexey Kunchenko was scheduled for the event. However, it was announced on July 29 that Staropoli was forced to pull out of the fight due to a broken nose and was replaced by Gilbert Burns.
A flyweight bout between Ashlee Evans-Smith and Taila Santos was expected for the event. However, Evans-Smith withdrew the bout for an undisclosed reason and was replaced by promotional newcomer Ariane Carnelossi. In turn, it was reported on July 29 that Santos was forced to pull out of the bout due to a wrist injury. No replacement could be found for Santos, thus the bout was cancelled.
|Main card (ESPN+)|
|Women's Flyweight||Valentina Shevchenko (c)||def.||Liz Carmouche||Decision (unanimous) (50–45, 50–45, 50–45)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Welterweight||Vicente Luque||def.||Mike Perry||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Luiz Eduardo Garagorri||def.||Humberto Bandenay||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Volkan Oezdemir||def.||Ilir Latifi||KO (punches)||2||4:31|
|Middleweight||Rodolfo Vieira||def.||Oskar Piechota||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||4:26|
|Featherweight||Enrique Barzola||def.||Bobby Moffett||Decision (split) (28–29, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (ESPN+)|
|Welterweight||Gilbert Burns||def.||Alexey Kunchenko||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Ciryl Gane||def.||Raphael Pessoa||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||1||4:12|
|Women's Strawweight||Marina Rodriguez||def.||Tecia Torres||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Rogério Bontorin||def.||Raulian Paiva||TKO (doctor stoppage)||1||2:56|
|Bantamweight||Chris Gutiérrez||def.||Geraldo de Freitas||Decision (split) (29–28, 27–30, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Alex da Silva Coelho||def.||Rodrigo Vargas||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Flyweight||Veronica Macedo||def.||Polyana Viana||Submission (armbar)||1||1:09|
- For the UFC Women's Flyweight Championship.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Vicente Luque vs. Mike Perry
- Performance of the Night: Volkan Oezdemir and Veronica Macedo
- Fernando Quiles Jr. (2019-08-11). "UFC Uruguay bonuses & attendance revealed". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-04-19). "UFC sets dates for upcoming events in Montevideo, Abu Dhabi and Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-04-21.
- Jon Fuentes (2019-06-19). "Breaking: Valentina Shevchenko will defend title against Liz Carmouche in UFC Montevideo main event". lowKickmma.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Brett Okamoto (2019-06-18). "Shevchenko-Carmouche rematch set". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Ilir Latifi injured, bout vs. Volkan Oezdemir scratched from UFC Stockholm". mmajunkie.com. 2019-05-30. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2019-07-18). "Report: Visa issues force Volkan Oezdemir vs Ilir Latifi to move to UFC Uruguay". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Redactie. "Rafael Fiziev breaks his foot and doesn't play anymore during UFC Montevideo". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-07-25. (in Dutch)
- Redactie. "Rodrigo Vargas pakt short notice partij tegen Alex da Silva tijdens UFC Montevideo". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-07-30. (in Dutch)
- Damon Martin (2019-06-14). "Tecia Torres vs. Marina Rodriguez among 7 fights announced for UFC card in Uruguay". mmafighting. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-07-29). "Rachael Ostovich, Laureano Staropoli and Rafael Fiziev out of UFC Uruguay". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Redactie (2019-07-30). "Gilbert Burns pakt short notice gevecht tegen Alexey Kunchenko tijdens UFC Montevideo". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-07-30. (in Dutch)
- Staff (2019-08-07). "Report: Ashlee Evans-Smith Out, Ariane Carnelossi In Against Taila Santos at UFC Uruguay". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-08-07.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-07-29). "Taila Santos injured, out of UFC Uruguay fight with Ariane Carnelossi". mmafighting. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Jhulia Marqueti. "Search for substitute opponent ends, Ariane Sorriso's UFC debut postponed". globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-08-09. (in Portuguese)
- "UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-08-10.