|UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor|
The poster for UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 6, 2018|
UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor is an upcoming mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that will be held on October 6, 2018 at T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area.
The event is expected to be headlined by a UFC Lightweight Championship bout between current champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and former featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor. McGregor captured the lightweight title at UFC 205, when he was the reigning featherweight champion. The Irishman never defended the title, as he took some time off in 2017 due to the birth of his first son and later venturing himself in a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr. (in which he lost). The UFC originally planned an interim title bout between Nurmagomedov and The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos welterweight winner Tony Ferguson, but it was canceled due to the Russian having medical issues related to his weight cut on weigh-in day. Ferguson eventually won the interim title at UFC 216 against Kevin Lee. Ferguson was then expected to meet Nurmagomedov at UFC 223, with the winner being crowned the undisputed champion (as McGregor would be stripped of the title as soon as the bout took place). In turn, it was scrapped once again (fourth time) as Ferguson got injured, and after several possibilities for an opponent, Nurmagomedov eventually won the vacant title against Al Iaquinta. That card was also marked by an attack on a bus containing several fighters scheduled to compete at the event (including Nurmagomedov and two teammates), performed by McGregor and his crew.
Jussier Formiga was previously scheduled to face Sergio Pettis in January 2017 at UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Penn. However, Formiga pulled out of the fight for undisclosed reasons. The pairing was rescheduled for this event.
|Lightweight||Khabib Nurmagomedov (c)||vs.||Conor McGregor||[a]|
|Lightweight||Tony Ferguson||vs.||Anthony Pettis|
|Light Heavyweight||Ovince Saint Preux||vs.||Dominick Reyes|
|Heavyweight||Derrick Lewis||vs.||Alexander Volkov|
|Women's Strawweight||Michelle Waterson||vs.||Felice Herrig|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Bantamweight||Sean O'Malley||vs.||José Alberto Quiñónez|
|Flyweight||Sergio Pettis||vs.||Jussier Formiga|
|Women's Bantamweight||Aspen Ladd||vs.||Tonya Evinger|
|Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Women's Bantamweight||Lina Länsberg||vs.||Yana Kunitskaya|
|Lightweight||Scott Holtzman||vs.||Alan Patrick|
|Lightweight||Gray Maynard||vs.||Nik Lentz|
|Welterweight||Ryan LaFlare||vs.||Tony Martin|
- For the UFC Lightweight Championship.
- Staff (2018-07-08). "UFC announces rest of 2018 schedule from September through end of year". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Staff (2018-08-04). "Conor McGregor v Khabib Nurmagomedov the biggest fight in UFC history - White". bbc.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Staff (2018-08-03). "Khabib vs McGregor set for October 6". ufc.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Todd Martin (2016-11-13). "UFC 205: Conor McGregor claims lightweight title with knockout of Eddie Alvarez". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Matt Connolly (2016-11-13). "Conor McGregor's UFC 205 announcements: time off for newborn, UFC ownership demand and an 'apology'". forbes.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Michael Emons (2017-08-26). "Mayweather beats McGregor - as it happened". bbc.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Marc Raimondi (2017-03-03). "UFC releases statement on Khabib Nurmagomedov". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Matt Erickson (2017-10-08). "UFC 216 results: Tony Ferguson taps resilient Kevin Lee in 3rd to win interim lightweight title". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Marc Raimondi (2018-04-01). "Tony Ferguson out of UFC 223, Max Holloway to step in and face Khabib Nurmagomedov for lightweight title". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Matt Erickson (2018-04-08). "UFC 223 results: Khabib Nurmagomedov dominates Al Iaquinta to become new lightweight champ". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-04-05). "Conor McGregor, crew cause chaotic scene after UFC 223 media day". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Staff (2016-12-29). "John Moraga in for Formiga vs. Sergio Pettis at UFC Fight Night 103". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- Staff (2018-08-02). "Jussier Formiga faces Sergio Pettis at UFC 229 in Las Vegas". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2018-08-02. (in Portuguese)
- "UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
|This article related to mixed martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|