|UFC 210: Cormier vs Johnson 2|
The poster for UFC 210: Cormier vs Johnson 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||April 8, 2017|
|City||Buffalo, New York|
|Total gate||$2,000,000 |
The event was the second that the UFC has hosted in Buffalo, the first being UFC 7 in 1995. It was the first to be held in Buffalo since the state of New York lifted its ban on professional mixed martial arts in early 2016.
A UFC Light Heavyweight Championship rematch between current champion Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson headlined the event. The pairing met previously in May 2015 at UFC 187 with Cormier winning the fight (and the vacant title) via submission in the third round. This rematch was originally scheduled to take place at UFC 206, but Cormier pulled out due to an injury and the bout was scrapped.
Controversy arose at the weigh-in as Cormier, who had initially weighed in 1.2 pounds over the 205-pound limit, minutes later weighed in at exactly 205 pounds. Video appeared to show Cormier supporting himself on a towel held by a teammate, though New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) officials denied such allegations. After this fight, Johnson announced his retirement from the UFC and combat sports, effective immediately.
Promotional newcomer Pearl Gonzalez was expected to face Cynthia Calvillo at the event. She was ruled out of the contest on the day of the weigh ins after NYSAC officials confirmed that she could not fight in the state because of her breast implants, which are banned among combat-sports competitors. Later the decision was reversed and the fight was allowed to go on as scheduled.
During the main card broadcast, it was announced that former WEC Featherweight Champion and UFC Bantamweight Championship title challenger Urijah Faber will be inducted into the Modern Era wing of the UFC Hall of Fame in this year's ceremony, which takes place July 6 in the midst of the UFC's annual International Fight Week festivities.
|Light Heavyweight||Daniel Cormier (c)||def.||Anthony Johnson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||3:37||[a]|
|Middleweight||Gegard Mousasi||def.||Chris Weidman||TKO (knees)||2||3:13|
|Women's Strawweight||Cynthia Calvillo||def.||Pearl Gonzalez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||3||3:45|
|Welterweight||Thiago Alves||def.||Patrick Côté||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Charles Oliveira||def.||Will Brooks||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:30|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Featherweight||Myles Jury||def.||Mike De La Torre||TKO (elbows and punches)||1||3:30|
|Welterweight||Kamaru Usman||def.||Sean Strickland||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Shane Burgos||def.||Charles Rosa||TKO (punches)||3||1:59|
|Light Heavyweight||Patrick Cummins||def.||Jan Błachowicz||Decision (majority) (29–28, 29–28, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Gregor Gillespie||def.||Andrew Holbrook||KO (punches)||1||0:21|
|Lightweight||Desmond Green||def.||Josh Emmett||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Katlyn Chookagian||def.||Irene Aldana||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Magomed Bibulatov||def.||Jenel Lausa||Decision (unanimous) (29–26, 29–26, 29–26)||3||5:00||[b]|
- For the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship.
- Bibulatov was deducted one point in round 2 due to a groin strike.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Shane Burgos vs. Charles Rosa
- Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira and Gregor Gillespie
The NYSAC issued a two-month suspension for Oliveira for hopping over the cage after defeating Brooks.
On April 13, Johnson's team officially filed an appeal with the NYSAC over the controversial weigh-in of Cormier. In their appeal, they took grievance with the fact that no representative from the NYSAC questioned Cormier over the baffling notion of him losing 1.2 pounds in a matter of minutes. Johnson's team then called for Cormier to address the issue under oath, and if his testimony does not provide a satisfactory explanation, for Cormier to be fined 20 percent of his fight purse and stripped of his UFC light heavyweight title for failing to make weight. Johnson has stated that he does not want Cormier to be stripped of his title but instead be fined 20%. On June 2, the NYSAC denied Johnson's appeal.
- Staff (2017-04-09). "UFC 210 draws announced 17,110 attendance for KeyBank Center sports record $2 million gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "UFC 210 Info".
- Staff (2017-01-15). "UFC returns to Buffalo for first time since 1995 with UFC 210 on April 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- Ariel Helwani (2017-01-25). "Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 set for UFC 210". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-05-24). "UFC 187 results: Daniel Cormier wears down Anthony Johnson for third-round tap". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- Staff (2016-11-25). "Report: Daniel Cormier injured, forced out of UFC 206 headliner vs. Anthony Johnson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- Brett Okamoto (2017-04-07). "Daniel Cormier needs two attempts to make weight for light heavyweight title fight". espn.com. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- Staff (2017-04-07). "Breast implants rule Pearl Gonzalez out of Saturday's UFC 210 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- Marc Raimondi (2017-04-07). "Pearl Gonzalez vs. Cynthia Calvillo fight back on for UFC 210". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- Staff (2017-04-08). "Urijah Faber announced as first member of 2017 UFC Hall of Fame class". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- "UFC 210: Cormier vs. Johnson 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- Staff (2017-04-09). "UFC 210 bonuses: Two undefeated prospects taking home some extra cash". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-12). "Cage hopping gets Charles Oliveira 60-day suspension from NYSAC". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2017-04-13). "Anthony Johnson officially files appeal of UFC 210 weigh-ins, calls for Daniel Cormier to be stripped of title". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-06-02). "NYSAC denies Anthony Johnson's appeal stemming from UFC 210 weigh-in". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-02.