UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez
|UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez|
The poster for UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||February 17, 2019|
|Venue||Talking Stick Resort Arena|
UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez (also known as UFC on ESPN 1) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on February 17, 2019 at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix, Arizona, United States.
As a result of the cancellation of UFC 233, fights between Cortney Casey and Cynthia Calvillo, James Vick and Paul Felder, Benito Lopez and Manny Bermudez and Aleksandra Albu and Emily Whitmire respectively, were rescheduled for this event.
A women's flyweight bout between former Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion Lauren Murphy and Ashlee Evans-Smith was expected to take place at the event. However, on December 19, Murphy announced she will need more time off to recover from surgery and won't make it to this event. On December 20, it was reported that Andrea Lee would replace Murphy against Evans-Smith.
At the weigh-ins, former UFC Bantamweight Champion Renan Barão, Manny Bermudez and former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion Jessica Penne missed the required weight for their respective fights. Barão weighted at 138 pounds and Bermudez weighted at 140 pounds, 2 pounds and 4 pounds over the bantamweight non-title fight limit of 136 respectively. Meanwhile, Penne weighed in at 118 pounds, 2 pounds over the strawweight non-title fight limit of 116. All three bouts were set to continue at catchweight. Barão and Penne were fined 20% of their purse and Bermudez was fined 30% of his purse which went to their opponents.
|Main Card (ESPN)|
|Heavyweight||Francis Ngannou||def.||Cain Velasquez||KO (punches)||1||0:26|
|Lightweight||Paul Felder||def.||James Vick||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Cynthia Calvillo||def.||Cortney Casey||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Kron Gracie||def.||Alex Caceres||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:06|
|Welterweight||Vicente Luque||def.||Bryan Barberena||TKO (knees and punches)||3||4:54|
|Featherweight||Andre Fili||def.||Myles Jury||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Bantamweight||Aljamain Sterling||def.||Jimmie Rivera||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (140 lbs)||Manny Bermudez||def.||Benito Lopez||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||3:09|
|Women's Flyweight||Andrea Lee||def.||Ashlee Evans-Smith||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Nik Lentz||def.||Scott Holtzman||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Early Preliminary Card (ESPN+)|
|Catchweight (138 lbs)||Luke Sanders||def.||Renan Barão||KO (punches)||2||1:01|
|Women's Strawweight||Emily Whitmire||def.||Aleksandra Albu||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||1:01|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Vicente Luque vs. Bryan Barberena
- Performance of the Night: Kron Gracie and Luke Sanders
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported by the Arizona Department of Gaming. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $1,871,000.
- Francis Ngannou: $220,000 (includes $110,000 win bonus) def. Cain Velasquez: $450,000
- Paul Felder: $92,000 (includes $46,000 win bonus) def. James Vick: $65,000
- Cynthia Calvillo: $88,000 (includes $44,000 win bonus) def. Cortney Casey: $50,000
- Kron Gracie: $52,000 (includes $27,000) def. Alex Caceres: $55,000
- Vicente Luque: $82,000 (includes $41,000 win bonus) def. Bryan Barberena: $35,000
- Andre Fili: $74,000 (includes $37,000 win bonus) def. Myles Jury: $36,000
- Aljamain Sterling: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Jimmie Rivera: $68,000
- Manny Bermudez: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Benito Lopez: $12,000
- Andrea Lee: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Ashlee Evans-Smith: $30,000
- Nik Lentz: $106,000 (includes $53,000 win bonus) def. Scott Holtzman: $33,000
- Luke Sanders: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus) def. Renan Barao: $53,000
- Emily Whitmire: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Aleksandra Albu: $12,000
- Staff (2019-02-18). "UFC on ESPN 1 draws announced 14,269 attendance for $1.4 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Staff (2018-11-04). "UFC announces 2019 first quarter schedule: ESPN debut Jan. 19 in Brooklyn". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Staff (2018-12-13). "Francis Ngannou vs. ex-champ Cain Velasquez in the works for UFC on ESPN 1 headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Staff (2019-01-15). "UFC on ESPN 1 lineup set, features 10 bouts on ESPN". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-01-16.
- Staff (2018-12-12). "Multiple UFC 233 fights get new dates, locations after Jan. 26 card scratched". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-12-13). "Many battles of canceled UFC 233 card moved to other events" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Newswire (2018-12-19). "Lauren Murphy withdraws from UFC on ESPN fight vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith to recover from surgery". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- Mike Heck (2018-12-20). "Andrea Lee in for Lauren Murphy vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith at UFC on ESPN 1". mymmanews.com. Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- John Morgan (2019-02-16). "UFC on ESPN 1 weigh-in results: Three fighters miss, but all fights set". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- Ariel Helwani (2019-02-17). "Tonight's Jodie Esquibel vs. Jessica Penne fight has been canceled". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Dan Hiergesell (2019-02-18). "UFC Phoenix Bonuses! Luque, Barberena battle it out for $50K each". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (February 21, 2019). "UFC Phoenix salaries: Cain Velasquez earns $450,000 in unsuccessful UFC return". mmafighting.com.