|UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade|
The poster for UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||May 11, 2019|
|City||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
The event was originally expected to be held at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba. However, the event was relocated to Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, after the UFC failed to come to terms with Athletico Paranaense.
A bout between former bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia and Irene Aldana took place at the event. The match up was originally scheduled to take place in August 2018 at UFC 227, but Correia pulled out of that event, citing injury. At the weigh-ins, Correia weighed in at 141 pounds, 5 pounds over the women's bantamweight non-title fight limit of 136. As a result, Correia was fined 30 percent of her purse, and the bout proceeded at a catchweight.
A bantamweight bout between Talita Bernardo and Jessica-Rose Clark was scheduled at the event. However, it was reported on April 3, 2019 Clark pulled out of the bout citing injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Melissa Gatto. In turn, Gatto was pulled from the fight in the days leading up to the event and replaced by Viviane Araújo.
A flyweight bout between Luana Carolina and Yanan Wu was scheduled at the event. However it was reported on April 22, 2019 that Wu pulled out of the bout due to injury and she was replaced by Priscila Cachoeira.
A bantamweight bout between Said Nurmagomedov and Raoni Barcelos at the event. However, it was reported on May 1, 2019 that Nurmagomedov pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reason and he was replaced by newcomer Carlos Huachin.
A lightweight bout between Carlos Diego Ferreira and Francisco Trinaldo was scheduled to take place as part of the main card. However, Ferreira was forced out of the bout on weigh-in day as he was deemed medically unfit due to a weight cutting issue. As a result, the bout was cancelled.
|Women's Strawweight||Jéssica Andrade||def.||Rose Namajunas (c)||KO (slam)||2||2:58||[a]|
|Middleweight||Jared Cannonier||def.||Anderson Silva||TKO (leg kicks)||1||4:47|
|Featherweight||Alexander Volkanovski||def.||José Aldo||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Laureano Staropoli||def.||Thiago Alves||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (141 lb)||Irene Aldana||def.||Bethe Correia||Submission (armbar)||3||3:24|
|Preliminary card (ESPN)|
|Light Heavyweight||Ryan Spann||def.||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||KO (punches)||1||2:07|
|Lightweight||Thiago Moisés||def.||Kurt Holobaugh||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Warlley Alves||def.||Sérgio Moraes||KO (punch)||3||4:13|
|Lightweight||Clay Guida||def.||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Early Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Women's Flyweight||Luana Carolina||def.||Priscila Cachoeira||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Raoni Barcelos||def.||Carlos Huachin||TKO (punches and elbows)||2||4:49|
|Women's Bantamweight||Viviane Araújo||def.||Talita Bernardo||KO (punch)||3||0:48|
- For the UFC Women's Strawweight Championship.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Jéssica Andrade vs. Rose Namajunas
- Performance of the Night: Jéssica Andrade and Warlley Alves
- Staff (2019-05-12). "UFC 237 draws announced 15,193 attendance in Rio de Janeiro". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2019-03-08). "Rio de Janeiro to host UFC 237". ufc.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Adriano Albuquerque, Marcelo Russio and Raphael Marinho (2019-02-20). "UFC is pursuing doing UFC 237 in Curitiba, and São Paulo will likely receive card in November" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-02-21.
- Adriano Albuquerque, Marcelo Russio and Raphael Marinho (2019-01-08). "UFC transfers Curitiba production to Rio de Janeiro and Anderson Silva vs. Jared Cannonier" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2019-01-07). "Rose Namajunas vs Jessica Andrade title fight set for UFC 237 on May 11". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-03-18). "Rose Namajunas vs. Jessica Andrade will be UFC 237 main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- Ana Hissa and Raphael Marinho (2019-02-20). "UFC sets Bethe Correia against Irene Aldana at UFC 237, May 11, in Brazil" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- Staff (2018-08-01). "Bethe Correia withdraws from UFC 227 fight with Irene Aldana". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Staff (2019-05-10). "UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade weigh-in results — Main Event official, Correia misses badly". cagesidepress.com. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2019-04-03). "Undefeated newcomer Melissa Gatto replaces injured Jessica-Rose Clark at UFC 237". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Staff (2019-05-08). "Viviane Araujo replaces Melissa Gatto at UFC 237, will face Talita Bernardo". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Raphael Marinho. "Chinese hurt, and Luana Dread faces Priscila Pedrita at UFC Rio 10". Sportv. Retrieved 2019-04-23.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-05-01). "Carlos Huachin signs with the UFC, replaces Said Nurmagomedov against Raoni Barcelos in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-05-10). "Diego Ferreira vs. Francisco Trinaldo fight called off at UFC 237". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-05-11.
- John Morgan (2019-05-12). "UFC 237 bonuses: New champ Jessica Andrade takes home $100K". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-05-12.